Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/20/2016 10:01:28 AM EDT

I do IT work... I received a trouble ticket from the helpdesk at the end of
the day of a user who is having e-mail issue, so i go down to check on it and find out its a server permission issue i cant fix and the server guys need to look at the issue.

I told the user this and let her know that I would try to find someone to fix the issue.

I walked down to the office of the person who would normally
fix the issue and he was not there so I went back to my desk and put my notes about this in the ticket..

then i called the helpdesk person who assigned to
the ticket to me to let him know that I couldn’t fix it and he needed find the proper person since i was allray 15min past my time to go, and needed to pick up my kids.

He responded that he was going to take the ticket back and
find someone to fix it.

When I came in Wednesday morning I had noticed the ticket
was still in my cue and the guy never did anything with it.

So I called and left a voicemail with the server guy to see
if the problem was fixed and when he called me back later he said yes. So I
thought that was the end of the issue.

Later that day I was called into a meeting and was asked why
I had ignored the ticket and left at the end of the day without talking to
anyone.  I explained everything above of,  as it happened and was told that "helpdesk guy" said he knew
nothing about it.

I told them to check my phone call log and it would show
that that's who I was talking to at the end of the day before had left, and im pretty sure i wasnt ordering pizzas....

my
manager had no interest in verifying my call logs to prove what I had said, but
just said that it didnt matter and I'm being let go for it.

luckily, because of their action, im getting unemployment... but need a job asap..

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds more like your manager already had plans to can you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That was my exact thought.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
...meh, I'll let someone else be the dick this morning.

Good luck with your job search.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, just looking for an excuse.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless other people have been fired for similar reasons it sounds like they were looking for a reason to get rid of you and found one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
they have been laying off and "downsizing" people for the last 6 months or so....

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I do IT work... I received a trouble ticket from the helpdesk at the end ofthe day of a user who is having e-mail issue, so i go down to check on it and find out its a server permission issue i cant fix and the server guys need to look at the issue.

I told the user this and let her know that I would try to find someone to fix the issue.

I walked down to the office of the person who would normallyfix the issue and he was not there so I went back to my desk and put my notes about this in the ticket..

then i called the helpdesk person who assigned tothe ticket to me to let him know that I couldn’t fix it and he needed find the proper person since i was allray 15min past my time to go, and needed to pick up my kids.

He responded that he was going to take the ticket back andfind someone to fix it.

When I came in Wednesday morning I had noticed the ticketwas still in my cue and the guy never did anything with it.

So I called and left a voicemail with the server guy to seeif the problem was fixed and when he called me back later he said yes. So Ithought that was the end of the issue.

Later that day I was called into a meeting and was asked whyI had ignored the ticket and left at the end of the day without talking toanyone.  I explained everything above ofas it happened and was told that "helpdesk guy" said he knewnothing about it.

I told them to check my phone call log and it would showthat that's who I was talking to at the end of the day before had left, and im pretty sure i wasnt ordering pizzas....

mymanager had no interest in verifying my call logs to prove what I had said, butjust said that it didnt matter and I'm being let go for it.

luckily, because of their action, im getting unemployment... but need a job asap..
View Quote

At least you're not training your h1b replacement
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
IT guys are dime a dozen........no offense meant.

Keeping an IT job is tough these days.

Good luck OP, I hope you find suitable work soon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

they have been laying off and "downsizing" people for the last 6 months or so....  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He was looking for an excuse, fuck be upon him.

Good luck, I hope you find something soon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, unfortunately you were on somebodies short list.  
Doesn't matter how you got there.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do IT work... I received a trouble ticket from the helpdesk at the end ofthe day of a user who is having e-mail issue, so i go down to check on it and find out its a server permission issue i cant fix and the server guys need to look at the issue.

I walked down to the office of the person who would normallyfix the issue and he was not there so I went back to my desk and put my notes about this in the ticket..

then i called the helpdesk person who assigned tothe ticket to me to let him know that I couldn’t fix it and he needed find the proper person since i was allray 15min past my time to go, and needed to pick up my kids.

He responded that he was going to take the ticket back andfind someone to fix it.

When I came in Wednesday morning I had noticed the ticketwas still in my cue and the guy never did anything with it.

So I called and left a voicemail with the server guy to seeif the problem was fixed and when he called me back later he said yes. So Ithought that was the end of the issue.

Later that day I was called into a meeting and was asked whyI had ignored the ticket and left at the end of the day without talking toanyone.  I explained everything above ofas it happened and was told that "helpdesk guy" said he knewnothing about it.

I told them to check my phone call log and it would showthat that's who I was talking to at the end of the day before had left, and im pretty sure i wasnt ordering pizzas....

mymanager had no interest in verifying my call logs to prove what I had said, butjust said that it didnt matter and I'm being let go for it.

Yeah, at least this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That has to be it. Even if you really did fuck up and ignore the ticket, there's no way a reasonable person would fire you on the spot for it unless it was a chronic problem or something.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Life lesson learned.

Calling is ok but back it up with an email. Next time email everyone - Customer, sever guy, your boss, his boss EVERYONE!!!!

Good luck finding a new job. It usually works out for the best. If they were already making cuts - they may have done you a favor.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That kind of says it all, doesn't it?  They were looking to get rid of you at the first possibility that they could for something that resembled cause.   It's chickenshit, but that's how they roll, I guess.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.

You weren't fired for that call.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Never trust someone else to update your tickets with the correct info.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That has to be it. Even if you really did fuck up and ignore the ticket, there's no way a reasonable person would fire you on the spot for it unless it was a chronic problem or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was a chronic problem they'd have mentioned it and had paperwork to back it up.

At least that's why my company has told me I have to do if I want to can somebody.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Say what? "IT guys" is pretty damn broad, to put it mildly.

What you just wrote is so far removed my own experience, that I literally laughed out loud for a second, thinking that you were probably being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe that's why they gave me a huge raise
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#24]
God IT works sucks.

Sorry you got canned, your boss sounds like mine at my last and final IT job. Career Change after that, now happier.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Just the other day there was a thread about why people send an email even though they're sitting two cubicles away.

This is why.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
God IT works sucks.

Sorry you got canned, your boss sounds like mine at my last and final IT job. Career Change after that, now happier.
View Quote

There's a lot more to IT than working on a helpdesk doing trouble tickets for end users...
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What you just wrote is so far removed my own experience, that I literally laughed out loud for a second, thinking that you were probably being sarcastic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's right, you know.

The problem is most "IT guys" aren't worth the 1/12th of a dime. Experienced technology professionals are hard to find and hard to hold onto.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just the other day there was a thread about why people send an email even though they're sitting two cubicles away.

This is why.

View Quote

It wouldn't have mattered. They wanted him gone.

If he worked where I do, I'd have a recording of his phone call to the other guy. His boss isn't interested.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

The problem with this statement is the sweeping generalization.

Desktop Support guys are a dime a dozen. CISSPs with 10 years of infrastructure design, not so much. Both are "IT guys" and, usually, neither understands the first thing about what the other one does everyday.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Fuck that. Collect the fuck out of unemployment.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#31]
You work tickets? Then you should know, if it isnt in the ticket it didnt happen. Period. Hell, I put console logs in my tickets. I did 2 maintenance events yesterday evening, console logs from 3 different server are copied into 2 different tickets.

Why?

If it isnt in the ticket it didnt happen. (Or worse, if it isnt in the ticket and something is fucked up, its your ass)
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I have seen corporations do the strangest things with employees over a 20 year career.  Sometimes - there is just no knowing what was going though their heads.  Sometimes, it is just that someone in leadership doesn't like the way you look at them.  Sometimes, it is just "we needed to let someone go, so the first person that has any red in their ledger, get's it"  Sometimes, it is just momentum, and ego's, and there is nothing you can do about it.

My advice to you would be to do some self-evaluation, just to make sure that something about you didn't contribute to the situation, and create a reason that they might want to get rid of you.  This stage is difficult, you really have to step outside yourself and ask... "how did others see me".... and "why".  

The reason you need to do the above, is to make course corrections so you don't continue these traits long term (if any exist).  I have seen many people get fired, and everyone in the department just nodded and knew it was coming, while the employee was oblivious, and in denial about some very personal reasons that they were chosen for the hatchet.  They never listened to people who tried to help them with constructive criticism, and in the end, just blamed everyone else, and the company.  I am not saying this is the case for you.... but it is a very important step.  I do it every time I interview, and don't get a job offer.  "what could I have done better, to result in a different outcome?"

Then - you have to just let go of any angst, animosity, and use it as a teaching moment.  There is no loyalty anymore.  Companies are fickle.  Your employment could end any day.... so keep that in mind as you structure your finances.  Such is the world, especially in IT.  

I wish you well in your job search.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Hope for an EXIT INTERVIEW.

You can fix everything there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There's a lot more to IT than working on a helpdesk doing trouble tickets for end users...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God IT works sucks.

There's also surfing Arfcom..

And other stuff...sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uh, no.  Not the good ones.  They are unicorns.

I guess you don't interview people for IT positions?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#36]
emails man. documentation to cover your story.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. When I cut my teeth on Desktop Support we had guys that did some MONUMENTALLY stupid shit, sometimes crippling production or worse. Got a stern "stop doing that" and it was back to business as usual.

Fuck, we had one guy leave a bootable Ghost disk with a clean image install in the optical drive of the Plant Manager's production laptop after testing the drive to see if it would work. PM boots up, gets a message that says "enter User ID" does so and BAM! Laptop wiped. Back to day one.

We all gave him a ration of shit about but, nobody even considered letting him go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If he worked where I do, I'd have a recording of his phone call to the other guy. His boss isn't interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why.

Yup they were looking to can him.  Op could claim he was fired for being a transgendered person.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps in your region it's that way.

In my state job, I see IT guys and girls come and go like the changing of the weather.

My wife is a programmer for the state, she's either changing departments by promotion or leaving a crappy/abusive environment. She is also either training "the new guy" or telling me of someone else who has left the department and she has to fill in for the lost productivity.

Then there are the contractors who come and go as soon as their 6 month contract is up.

Like I said, Dime a dozen around here.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hope for an EXIT INTERVIEW.

You can fix everything there.
View Quote

No - the only thing you can do there is burn down your bridges.  If you are in a market that is limited, that's a bad idea.  

You put your big boy pants on, you suck it up, learn from it, and keep your chin up.  Then focus on turning it into a positive thing with a better job at a better company.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Never trust someone else to update your tickets with the correct info.

View Quote

Never trust someone to do anything with your ticket. If it's in your queue, it's yours until you close it or transfer it.

Conversations about ticket movement, putting work off, handing responsibility over to another person, whatever. Should all be happening via IM or email. Those conversations should be attached to the ticket or pasted into the work history. It saves EVERYONE a lot of hassle.

It *could* save your job.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Concur.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I just see the faces come and go.

I agree a good one is like gold, unfortunately the mass of programmers and techs are like waiters in a crappy restaurant.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Help desk software has a function where you can transfer a ticket to another person.

You should have transferred the ticket before you left for the day.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He's right, you know.

The problem is most "IT guys" aren't worth the 1/12th of a dime. Experienced technology professionals are hard to find and hard to hold onto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's right, you know.

I guess I need to stop using "IT guy" as shorthand for my profession.

My company has thrown everything at me (including the kitchen sink in the new house I'm buying with their relocation money) to keep me from leaving the company. When they announced that they were moving to Dallas, I changed my LinkedIn status and had recruiters calling me a couple days later. To keep me from leaving early, they increased my salary (and how), threw a fat retention bonus on top of that, threw another 8 weeks of severance on top of that, and said that I was guaranteed all of that until Jan 2017 - even if I had literally nothing to do, and no office to go to anymore. Just please don't leave.

I agreed. As I was getting new gigs lined up, they countered again and wondered if I might just move to Texas anyway (I'm hard to replace, if it wasn't obvious yet). So I'm keeping all of that that I just mentioned above, AND they're moving me. Full service move? Done. Closing costs on the new house covered? Got it. Another small bump in salary, just because I asked? Doneski.

"Dime a dozen". *snort*

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI otherwise he would have stood up for you
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In my state job, I see IT guys and girls come and go like the changing of the weather.

My wife is a programmer for the state, she's either changing departments by promotion or leaving a crappy/abusive environment. She is also either training "the new guy" or telling me of someone else who has left the department and she has to fill in for the lost productivity.

Then there are the contractors who come and go as soon as their 6 month contract is up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really are oblivious to the point that he's making. There are a few sectors of "IT guys" that are pretty common. The vast majority of "IT guys" aren't the helpdesk, they aren't the coders, they aren't the web design folks, they are the people that keep the world in a state that everyone else can *work.* You never see them, you don't know their names and you probably have no idea that a full time position exists for such magic, much less that whole departments are dedicated to it.

THOSE people are rare. They are valuable. They make up the bulk of the "IT guys" but, to you, they're invisible.

Even the OP points to one of them. He couldn't fix an issue so he called someone who, probably, hasn't talked directly to a user in a decade. The OP didn't have the "rights" to fix the issue. He had to call one of the "IT guys" to get it done.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Shit happens and sometimes people drop the ball. Unless you are making a habit of it nobody here would can you for letting a ticket breach SLA targets, especially if it's a non-critical issue.

When I was working Desktop Support, we'd have SEP (Somebody Else's Problem) tickets breach all the time, for the same reasons OPs did - Person X left for the day, Person Y is on leave, etc. Nobody really cared as long as the user was kept informed of why the delay was occuring, and if a workaround was available, it was at least offered.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why.

I agree but if he CYA-ed with emails - it wouldn't have been for this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top