Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That's why they put headlights on 'em![:p]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a pellet gun?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
[size=6][red]HEY![/red][/size=6]I've done that before. But I do it for a living and sometimes when I get home it's getting dark and I just have to mow my own lawn before it gets a foot high.

I'll break out the [url=http://www.walkermowers.com/index.htm1?section=products]Walker[/url] with the headlights and go to it. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Who cares?  It's HIS property.  Jeesh, do i ever HATE it when people deem to dictate what/when/how a body may behave with/on his/her own property.  And neighborhood covenants/codes BE DAMNED, too!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
He quit about half way through.

I started panning a laser across his back and onto the cars and stuff he was driving toward as he was driving away from me.

I like to think that had something to do with it.[}:D]

My wife seems to think he quit because it started raining again.[}:(]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who cares?  It's HIS property.  Jeesh, do i ever HATE it when people deem to dictate what/when/how a body may behave with/on his/her own property.  And neighborhood covenants/codes BE DAMNED, too!
View Quote

There are concepts called COURTESY and CONSIDERATION I personally treasure and observe.  I expect my neighbors to respect my bounds as much as I respect theirs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Who cares?

Me.
I thought that was obvious.[:\]

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you a maniac?

I call the law on you if you "painted" me with a lazer, mounted to a weapon or not.

You're a freaking idiot and a child "painting" anybody you do not shoot. In my book it's the same a pointing a weapon at somebody.

You're giving gun owners a bad name.

Yes, in case you're wondering this was a flame filled post.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, maybe I wouldn't call the law on you, but I'd make sure you would never point anything even related to a weapon at me ever again. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I started panning a laser across his back and onto the cars and stuff he was driving toward as he was driving away from me.
View Quote

Not cool, man.[:|]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Lighten up.

It was a pen laser, and the guy is a complete butthead.

He cleans his deapfreeze once a year and burns the stuff in his back yard, which coincidentally is in close proximity to my back yard. Nothing like the smell of frozen meat smoldering all night long.

"Why not just throw it in the trash?" you may ask. Three reasons.

He is a complete dumbass.
He does not care about anything that does not benefit him.
It would cost two dollars and fifty cents for the trash bag.

So he burns it on a bonfire, which is against city ordinance. Mowing your lawn at 9:30 at night and pissing off all your neighbors is probably violating some city ordinance, too, although which one exactly escapes me at the moment.

"Painting" him with a pen laser as he drives away is not exactly assault. I did not threaten harm in any way or break any laws. It [i]is[/i] as close as I can come while staying within the bounds of polite society.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Like was said, got a pellet gun?

That "lasing" isn't too cool, though. Funny, but not cool.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#13]
i had a problem nieghbor once. everybody in the nieghbor hood hated this guy and we all kinda ganged up on him. one of the things i done was call the Jesus Christ of latter day Saints phone number i saw on an infomercial and told them i wanted them to come out and talk to me (him)

they said what day and time?
i said saturday morning about 7:00 am

i got up that saturday to watch and sure enough they came through

the guy ended up moving
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i had a problem nieghbor once. everybody in the nieghbor hood hated this guy and we all kinda ganged up on him. one of the things i done was call the Jesus Christ of latter day Saints phone number i saw on an infomercial and told them i wanted them to come out and talk to me (him)

they said what day and time?
i said saturday morning about 7:00 am

i got up that saturday to watch and sure enough they came through

the guy ended up moving
View Quote

Now that's funny.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in an apartment building which is a 4-plex. Theese are non-smoking apartments which is very important to me since I'm pregnant and have an 11 month old son. However my neighbors seem to think that They can smoke in the foyer or just outside the door blowing all the smoke inside. I'd just be glad your neighbor is mowing his lawn and keeping his yard nice in order for your property value to stay up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"Painting" him with a pen laser as he drives away is not exactly assault. I did not threaten harm in any way or break any laws. It [i]is[/i] as close as I can come while staying within the bounds of polite society.  
View Quote

'Laser Painting' is illegal in Wisconsin...

Don't know about IA, though...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:12:11 AM EDT
[#18]
We had an incident a couple years ago where some kid thought it would be funny to illuminate a cop with a laser pointer.  Suddenly the kid had the business end of a Glock pointed at him.

The local media was crying about how the cop overreacted, but then the Chief of Police held a press conference.  On the table before him was a large assortment of neat guns mounted with lasers.  After explaining laser sights to the assembled idiots they began to understand why someone might perceive that little red dot as a threat.

Such is the world we live in.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:18:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mowing your lawn at 9:30 at night and pissing off all your neighbors is probably violating some city ordinance, too, although which one exactly escapes me at the moment.

View Quote

I bet your the president of one of those fucked up home owners association's.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:22:03 AM EDT
[#20]
HOW BIG IS THE LAWN???
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:22:17 AM EDT
[#21]
so? I mow the lawn at 6 in the morning before it gets hot out. boo-fuckin-hoo
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:23:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Many areas have noise ordinances, often called "musician rights" or something to that effect, that require loud activities to be over by 11:00PM. Before that, the police won't even respond to noise complaints.

Best bet - move way out in the country. That way, instead of neighbors mowinga at night, you can have combines and other farm equipment running at night. Still beats city sirens though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:29:36 AM EDT
[#24]
If he's that crazy your lucky he did'nt paint you back with the real thing.[kill]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:35:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Man 9:30 at night isn't that night.  Noise ordinance here may be 10:00, or 11:00 I can't remember which.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I read somewhere that it's better to cut your lawn in the evening.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:35:45 AM EDT
[#27]
hmmmmmm why?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Because at 6:00 in the morning your lawn is probably covered with dew. According to Scotts lawn care website: "Never mow a wet lawn, as this can lead to uneven cuts and invites fungus to your lawn."

Edit to add: But maybe in TX, you don't have any dew. In GA, we do have dew.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:00:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

There are concepts called COURTESY and CONSIDERATION I personally treasure and observe.  I expect my neighbors to respect my bounds as much as I respect theirs.
View Quote

Yes, as do I.  But, or when, a neighbor, on his property, decides to do otherwise, guess what?  It isn't my business, it's his.  And when I occasionally transgress, like 0200 bonfires, beer and fireworks in MY backyard, guess what?  It's nobody's business but my own.  That's whay I bought a house, and do not rent an apartment.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#30]
WOW...you would not last 20 min.'s in my area.
I have to admit that we live in the sticks, but the city is only about 20 min away. I have bon fires that start at midnight, I mow my lawn early in the morning , or late at night (someone already said that is why they put headlights on them) I even shoot in my backyard, but my neighbors are not dicks...And they even come over and bring Beer or soda's when I have such things going on...O BTW if you would have painted anyone around here with a Lazor...You would prob be on the receiving end of Return fire. In my area it is a assault with a weapon, and you will goto jail if they find out it is you...

Sorry that you are so up tight, and live in a area that these things bug people....
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:13:50 AM EDT
[#31]
To teach him a lesson you might try killing his family and burning down his house.  Then see if he keeps mowing at night.  That basterd.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Painting the guy with a laser, regardless of whether it is a laser pen pointer or a laser sight on a weapon, is tantamount to assault.  

Obviously YOU INTENDED him to think he was being threatened, otherwise you WOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT.  So you intended to terrorise him into rethinking his actions.

So while he was being a discourteous asshole, you were worse.  You behaved like a thug, threatening your neighborhood with potential violence.  Probably you were also a cowardly thug since you flashed the guy with a laser instead of summoning up the cajones to go down and ask the guy to mow his lawn at a more acceptable hour.

In my opinion, you had two options.  Go over and ask the guy nicely to cut it out (the brave thing), or suck it up and hope he finished soon (the cowardly thing, but what most people would do).  Those are legitimate choices.  Flashing the guy with a laser from your window, implying that you might be pointing a laser sighted gun at him, is cowardly and thuggish.  Congratulations, Big Man.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I live in an apartment building which is a 4-plex. Theese are non-smoking apartments which is very important to me since I'm pregnant and have an 11 month old son. However my neighbors seem to think that They can smoke in the foyer or just outside the door blowing all the smoke inside. I'd just be glad your neighbor is mowing his lawn and keeping his yard nice in order for your property value to stay up.
View Quote

However, when it's 9:30 PM and you've just put the baby or toddler to bed after a rough day of parenting and the lawn mower is waking them up you'll be just as pissed.  (I know my wife does.)

Kent
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Has it occured to any of you "it's my own damn business" types that you're the reason there are noise ordinances and home owners associations in many places? Nobody wants a rude, inconsiderate dick for a neighbor, even if you do live out in the sticks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Move away from people if you don't like 'em.

There's a buy who lives about 1/4 mile from me who didn't like the noise of the city, so he moved out near me.  What he didn't know is that while the are may be quiet during the night except for coyotes, it is fairly noisy during the day.

Farmers
Trucks
Hunting
Shooting
Mowers
Chainsaws
Tractors...

He actually had the nerve to tell me I can't shoot unless it is an official range!  He said he heard gunshots when he lived in the city, so he moved out in the country for peace and quiet.  [%|]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

However, when it's 9:30 PM and you've just put the baby or toddler to bed after a rough day of parenting and the lawn mower is waking them up you'll be just as pissed.  (I know my wife does.)

Kent
View Quote

As if a toddler or infant can't sleep unless it is perfectly quiet.  That's crazy!  If that's the case than you have trained him that way and it is YOUR fault.  Neighbors shouldn't have to be quiet just because a baby might be sleeping.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I read somewhere that it's better to cut your lawn in the evening.
View Quote

I cut grass for a living, see avatar. Anyway, it is ok to cut your grass any time of the day or night, just don't cut it when it's wet.

And you homeowners should be sharpening your lawnmower blades every 4-6 cuttings especially in the south where you've got that St. Augustine grass. Sharp blades cut the grass, GOOD, dull ones rip the grass, BAD.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At 9:30 at night.

With a rider.
View Quote

Move to Kalifornia. They got laws about when you can mow your lawn. Ever thinks maybe the guy works for a living and this is as soon as he could get to it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lighten up.

It was a pen laser, and the guy is a complete butthead.
View Quote

So because your opinion of him is that he's a butthead, that makes it ok to "paint" him with lasers? Like I said before, you would only do that to me once.

He is a complete dumbass.
View Quote

You know the old saying "takes one to know one".
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#41]
I live on 23 acres to do anything I want withing the limits of the law.  Anyone else can voice their disapproval, I just don't give a rats A@@.  I try to be considerate if noise is a problem, I don't want to be a total jerk.  

Maybe you and your "friend" should share a few beers and "discuss" your differences.  You may find some benifit of having a postive relationship with him.  But then again, knowing the average John Q. there may not be any hope.  At least you know you put forth a good honest effort.  I had a worthless nieghbor once when I live in the city.  HAM operator, real geek.  Originally I thought he was worthless....until I had an electronics question.  I don't even remeber what it was about.  But boy he bent over backwards to help me.  It would be kinda like if he came over one day and said......you know I was thinking of getting gun, what do you think?  Surely you can find some use for him?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#42]
[b]Best bet - move way out in the country. That way, instead of neighbors mowinga at night, you can have combines and other farm equipment running at night.[/b]

12hp breaks & scrap 'em vs:

250hp case magnum turbodiesel tractor
150hp combine
35hp bobcat loading bales onto the wagon
heston square baler
liquid manure spreader (sound AND smell)
dairy herd
fence post driver
shuttle tractors
crop sprayers
fertilizers
plowing, discing, harrowing, planting, cultivating, haymaking

yup...those 'insensitive' and 'disrespectful' farmers. heheheh!

life is short...worry about the important things.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#43]
9:30 isn't too terribly late.  My personal cutoff is 10 pm, if I don't want to be rude.

How light is it there?  Did he lose track of time?  It is still bright out now at 11:30 pm when I go to bed, but I work north of Fairbanks.

But then, that is why I bought a house.  I can run a saw at 2 am in the garage without giving a rat's ass what the neighbors think.

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Must be an awfully loud lawn mower to wake up a baby or annoy you.  But painting with a laser  from inside your house makes you more of a jag off.  

I have a stop sign in front of my house and last summer, when my lil guy was 8 or 9 months old, there were many times when I had people just sitting at the sign revving their Harleys.   This made every piece of glass in my house shake, rattle and resonate.    I merely walked outside, waved to them, explained that I had a baby trying to sleep inside and asked them if they would mind riding just a bit quiter through the neighborhood.   I never once had anyone argue with me and all were very pleasant and agreeable most even apologized.   Oh and I never had to ask anyone more than one time. I could have been a dick like you and painted them with a laser, called the cops, or whatever, but I guess I preferred to use my testicles and go talk to the offending noise makers.     Being polite and resonable will get you much farther with people than your chosen path.    

I am sorry if I seem harsh, but if someone painted me while mowing, I would definitely cause them more headaches than any lawnmower could produce.   Grow up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got to mow the lawn tomorrow.

Neighbors be damned, it'll be DONE by seven AM.

It'll be dry enough as we don't get morning dew on the grass at this time of the year (or very little of it) and it's the only COOL part of the day here in hot, sunny Florida.

Yes, I've got St. Augustine grass, too.  And I sharpen the mower's blades once every five years or so.  Damaged grass regrows slower, and the slower it grows, the better I like it.   The stuff is hardy enough that you can't kill it that way, so what do I care?

I want some genetically engineered grass that refuses to grow tall enough to ever need mowing.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#46]
You should go help the guy if he is so busy that he has to mow at 9:30pm.  

I think the only asshole in your town started this thread.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#47]
^^ hehehehe

Or break out the fifty cal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top