Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 3:21:57 PM EDT
"We should never confuse music and noise: music is an orderly progression of sounds, noise is a disorderly one."

How would this be translated into a standard argument?

It may or may not be valid.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure that you can use logic in that statement.  Logic requires "givens".  Nothing is necessarily a given.  There is no objective stance one can take.  What I consider to be music, another may consider noise (ask my dad when I was growing up).  

Stomp is a perfect example.  They make noise (in an orderly fashion) by banging garbage cans.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Tough one from a common-sense perspective.  Sitar and rap music may sound like noise to me, but to someone else, it would be audio nectar of the gods.

From a purely logical standpoint, I think the statement is rational.  Basically, the argument is that noise is not equal to music.  If one accepts the definition of music as an "orderly progression of sounds," and if noise is not music, then noise is not an orderly progression of sounds.  If it is not orderly, then it must, by definition, be disorderly.  Since noise is in fact sounds, but it is not orderly, it therefore cannot be considered music.  The weakness in the argument is accepting the definition of music.

Does that help?  Give me time for three more beers (about 5 minutes) and I can shovel some more sh...I mean, stuff, that sounds even better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#3]
define order

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
define order

View Quote

He asked for logic!
View Quote

no he didn't
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"We should never confuse music and noise: music is an orderly progression of sounds, noise is a disorderly one."

How would this be translated into a standard argument?

It may or may not be valid.
View Quote

All propositions are considered true.

So this is what I am going with:
All music is an orderly progression of sounds.
No thing that we should confuse with noise is an orderly progression of sound.
No music is a thing that we should confuse with noise.

thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:26:59 AM EDT
[#8]
If you employ logic, facts, truth, and sound reasoning to a debate it is music.  If you're a Defecrat you make noise.

Simple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top