Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 3:39:46 AM EDT
I need input from members who own Pit bull terriers,ie: temperment, hereditary issues, loyalty etc. I have a co-worker who just purchased an 8 week old male with markings and colors I cannot describe, but beautiful.He may have to give up or sell.I may take the pup off his hands.I know of the bad press of late on this breed.I have a nice size yard and no children. [8D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:09:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh boy...pass the popcorn and the RC.  I got me a seat right down front.  This is going to get spicy.

[;D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one.. was a great dog, but i was always scared that he might hurt one of the neighbors kids.. was territorial and rough, but not mean, but i still got rid of him.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Pit Bulls are great dogs.  They require a lot of exercise and attention.  

My Pit was hit by a car when it was 8 months old.  I'd like to get another one sometime in the future.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]
APBT's are not for amateur dog owners. If you have not raised many dogs then I would suggest you pass.

Now if you don't fit the above, or still insist on getting the dog......

Get informed, there is a lot of good info out there on the rearing and socialization of the APBT. Try to get him in your household before he is 4 months old, after that they are less likely to bond with you. Do not allow the dog to show aggressive behavior, he won't need too. If it is ever needed, he will have enough.

Hopefully EricE and a few of the others will jump in too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one, and would have one again.

I agree, if this is your first ever dog, pass.
If you can't take it right away, pass.

The fact that you have a yard is perfect, they need to let out their energy as often as possible.  I never had any behavior problems from mine as long as she got to run in the yard and I walked her every day.

I currently have a half pitt/half english.  She's the biggest chicken in the world, but alot of times she doesn't like other dogs.  I think this has as much to do with her hip problems as much as her temperment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top