Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 3:34:27 AM EDT
Would like to purchase a machine to burn our family videos that are currently on VHS tape to disc.  Anybody have any experience doing this?  Does the copy turn out well, without too much frame jitter, or anything like that?  Which machine would you recommend?  Thanks for any help.

vmax84
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:40:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Panasonic DVD burner and I've burned plenty of tapes to disc: you just hook the output from the VCR to the input for the burner.  The tapes are as good as they are on tape, no better or worse, as long as your record them at one of the higher quality settings (which means you can only get 2 hours on a DVD).
I like the newer Panasonic machines...they seem to be a good buy for the money.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
or, buy [url=http://www.dazzle.com/products/hw_bridge.html]dazzle converter[/url] for $99 and take it from your VCR to your computer then you can either burn it to regular cd as VCD to play on most dvd players, or buy a DVD burner and go from there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I've tried the computer route...you'd better have a LOT of memory and a pretty fast chip.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The settop DVD burner is the least amount of fuss to get going.

Going through a computer is more flexible in that you will be able to edit the tape, add menus, effects, etc.  However, you will require a fairly souped up computer with lots of RAM, etc. and it will be more time consuming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top