Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 11:05:52 PM EDT
[url]http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6427013%5E13762,00.html[/url]

Goldfish liquidised in museum show

From correspondents in Copenhagen
May 13, 2003

A DANISH museum director has gone on trial on charges of cruelty to animals for an exhibit in which goldfish were liquidised in a blender to test visitors' sense of right and wrong.

The exhibit at the Trapholt modern art museum in 2000 featured live goldfish swimming in a blender. Visitors were given the possibility of pressing the button to turn the blender on.

Artist Marco Evaristti, the Chilean-born bad boy of the Danish art scene, said at the time that he wanted to force people to "do battle with their conscience".

Two goldfish died after two visitors pressed the button.

The Danish association Friends of Animals filed a complaint against the artist as well as the director of the museum, Peter Meyer, for cruelty to animals.

Police ordered Meyer to pay a 2000 kroner ($481) fine for failing to respect an injunction to cut the blenders' electricity so that visitors would not be tempted to kill the goldfish.

But the director refused to pay the fine in the name of artistic freedom, leaving police no option but to take him to court.

"It's a question of principle. An artist has the right to create works which defy our concept of what is right and what is wrong," Meyer told the court today.

The artist meanwhile said the idea behind the exhibit was to "place people before a dilemma: to choose between life and death".

"It was a protest against what is going on in the world, against this cynicism, this brutality that impregnates the world in which we live."

The verdict is expected next week.

Other controversial exhibits by the provocateur include one last year in which he created 30 pieces of art using paint mixed with heroin. He wanted to promote the work by giving the drug away free to Danish addicts.

The 'smack art' exhibit was his way of "protesting personally against the idleness of politicians incapable of combating the problems caused by drugs in society", he said.

Earlier this year he had drug addicts create their own canvasses using paint mixed with HIV-contaminated blood, heroin and cocaine.

Don't have a goldfish... but I do have a FROG! (make sure your speakers are on).

[url]http://flymeaway.net/video/frogbender.exe[/url]

[i]edited to change link - orginal site won't allow linking.  Right click above link and Save As[/i]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
 Hee hee hee....wish I coulda seen the look on the face of the first person to have pressed the button!!!  I'll bet they thought it wasn't for real!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#2]
So, who here would have pushed the button? I figure I would have, if they were going for a useful purpose, like making glue or something. If they're just gonna sit there though, nah, I reckon I would have let them live...
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Well ... after having seen this a few years ago [url]http://www.joecartoon.com/pages/frogbender/[/url] I may have been tempted to push the button
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#4]
So WHAT was the moral delimma?  Push the button or WHAT?

Goldfish are useful for several things:

1)  Swallowing to impress chicks
2)  Feeding to larger hungrier fish
3)  Making ponds look a little cheerier
4)  Keeping as a pet if you aren't interested in a REAL animal

All in all, artists are generally stupid, but this display was pretty cool, if it had a point.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#5]
All in all, artists are generally stupid...
View Quote

As are those who make statements such as yours.

Stupid?:
[img]http://www.idiom.com/~arkuat/trans/davinci.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.csupomona.edu/~plin/ls201/images/michaelangelo_big.jpg[/img]

Regardless...
Not a bad piece of concept-art.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok add a poll for who would have pressed the button.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All in all, artists are generally stupid.
View Quote

I'm glad we have a FIRST AMENDMENT and that it protects an INDIVIDUAL RIGHT.

That way, if you think artists, or gun owners, or anyone-else, is stupid you can express your opinion, no matter how stupid.  We don't have to listen.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#8]
If the artist truly wanted people to "do battle with their conscience" he would have straddled the blender and put his own nuts in it.  That would have been a more significant and meaningful test. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people just don't read very well.

Artists in GENERAL are stupid.  Sure there are notable exceptions.  Others are insane, many are fruitcakes, some are just plain disgusting!

Cincinnatus gave two examples of non-stupid artists.  I have personnally known MANY artists, and generally they are stupid.

I knew one (1) that wasn't completely stupid.  She was a good friend, and SHE thought most artists were stupid.

Take a pill, folks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You have never made a generalization?  EVER?

You just did.  Congratulations, you are just as unenlightened as I am.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All in all, artists are generally stupid.
View Quote

I'm glad we have a FIRST AMENDMENT and that it protects an INDIVIDUAL RIGHT.

That way, if you think artists, or gun owners, or anyone-else, is stupid you can express your opinion, no matter how stupid.  We don't have to listen.
View Quote

Well, only SOME gun owners are stupid, therefore I would never say that gun owners are generally stupid.

And what is with that "don't have to listen" stuff.  Not only DID you listen, you got OFFENDED at what some anonymous nitwit said on the net, and POSTED a reply?

God forbid anyone actually EXPRESS an opinion that they have.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Goldfish are useful for several things:

1) Swallowing to impress chicks
View Quote

Fish breath I bet you are a lonely guy.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#13]
LMAO!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You have never made a generalization?  EVER?

You just did.  Congratulations, you are just as unenlightened as I am.
View Quote

No, my statement was in no way meant as a generization.  
I believe that anyone and everyone who makes such a statement is indeed quite stupid, or at the very least ignorant.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

[url]http://www.idiom.com/~arkuat/trans/davinci.gif[/url]

[url]http://www.csupomona.edu/~plin/ls201/images/michaelangelo_big.jpg[/url]

View Quote

Why is it that in every old drawing, painting, sculpture I see, the guys are hung like hamsters?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, my statement was in no way meant as a generization.  
I believe that anyone and everyone who makes such a statement is indeed quite stupid, or at the very least ignorant.

View Quote

You can't escape the fact that above IS ABSOLUTELY a generalization.  The words "anyone and everyone" does indeed constitute a broad brush stroke (nice pun eh?).  This generalization is followed my an action that the generalized take, followed by a disparaging remark about them.

I don't think there is anything wrong with making a generalization now and then, especially on an internet chat board where people hold their opinions to the same regard as their other bodily orfices.  You decried my generalization with another, that's my only point.

You can also decry my opinion all you want.  It doesn't really bother me too much.  I know you are into art.  That doesn't bother me either.  I was more referring to the artsy-fartsy types who take themselves way too seriously.  I have known many of these people, and none of them was even the slightest bit interested in guns, let alone post on a gun board with the handle "Cincinnatus".

Rest easy friend.  There was no offense intended.  Guess what?  I hang art on the wall, when I can afford it.  Pardon my glibness I guess.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't "decry your opinion". I just reply with one of my own. [:)]
I've made many generalizations about artists my self.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Are we all over-looking this part:

"Earlier this year he had drug addicts create their own canvasses using paint mixed with HIV-contaminated blood, heroin and cocaine."

What in the hell?  Talk about eccentric...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top