Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 1:42:44 PM EDT
I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.8LV8.

Recently had the oil changed and noticed that there was some run-off oil on the skid plates and run-off pad.

I kept an eye on it, and it continued to stay drenched and had lots of drips waiting to fall.

Took it in, they say its the front main seal.

I tried to get them to claim responsibility for it, since they last changed my oil, but they are claiming they didn't do anything in that area.

I mentioned that over-filling the oil might cause the seal to rupture, and there's no way for me to know how full it was since its leaked out everywhere. The shop wants to charge me for it ($50 deductible), but I told them to think again... waiting to hear back from them.

Am I right? What can I do? I've had so many problems, and I told them they should not be a 5-star dealership with all the problems I have, and lazy workmanship.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
They want you to pay a $50.00 deductable? I take it it's under warranty? Pay it. You can try "Customer Service" but you won't get anywhere with them. There is no way to tell if they over filled it as you said yourself. You can't expect them to take responsibility for it without proof that they are to blame. You are fighting a battle you can't win.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
How many miles are on it?  The oil would have to be way overfilled to blow out the seal, and it's easy enough why don't you change your own oil?  I don't know much about the chrysler engines, but the old Ford 5.0's had some pretty shitty rear main seals, and I was changing it in my truck once every 50-75 thousand miles.  If it's only gonna cost you a 50 dollar deductible, pay it.  that's an easy 1500-2000 dollar job there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats not a bad deal. Let them fix it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
it's easy enough why don't you change your own oil?
View Quote

I would... but the skid plate opening is too small for my arms to reach the filter.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#5]
take off the damn skid plate then!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Update: dealerhip won't waive the $50 deductible since they claim I would have to have 14+ quarts of oil to blow a seal.... it takes 6. I think they are mistaken.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an '02 with the V8.  I over filled my oil by two quarts last summer(I'm an electrician not a mechanic) and no harm was done(except to my pride).  I'd chalk it up to a bad seal, pay the $50 deductible and be glad you have the warranty, instead of a $2000 repair bill.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Pay the $50 and quit bitch'n like a little girl! [;D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Update: Jeep is going back tomorrow. There might be a coolant leak now... (I smell it and there's a bitty puddle) and the heating hoses look a bit crusty (could be nothing, or from previous leak when water pump failed) and may have a leak or it could be condensation where the two hoses meet...

They want to look at it in the morning. Not sure if they may have checked it, topped it off for me, or whatever. Could have been a minor spill and be nothing, but they didn't mention anything about coolant in the paperwork...

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I did pay it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top