Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 12:04:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that saying first came about when there were still lots of people who could only afford one gun, and did use that one gun to put food on the table, as well as defense.

Nowadays, those who have one gun, with it rusted inoperable might indeed be more numerous.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Fear the guy that can kill you with any weapon, or no weapon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No.

If they have only one and they're over the age of....say, 25, it's likely in their sock drawer...somewhere....loaded with shells from the only box of ammo they've ever purchased, never fired for function, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Went witg a guy thirsday who only had a SAA 45 colt and he made clover leafs with it.  I think this is pretty true.  Went with a police officer a few years ago and he only shoots his issued glock. 50 yards was impressive
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry one gun.  Just one.  Every day.......

Feeling lucky?

Well, are you punk?!!!!!

Now get off my lawn!!!!!!!

No, seriously, could you get off the lawn?  I just put down some fertilizer and I'm trying to get rid of this dollar weed. Also, the begonias were just planted and I don't want them trampled.  That is if they survive this heat.  Very dry heat too, not really a lot of rain this time of year.  We really should be having more rain.  Weather is a real son-of-a-gun.  Makes me all hot and itchy.  Then I get this rash....here let me show you......Actually, Jeopardy is coming on...we'll have to finish this later.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
That's another old-timey BS aphorism that's no longer relevant. I'm for knowing how to use any old gun that you find that you might have to use.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Fear the guy who wants to kill YOU.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
One gun can't do every job it might be needed for.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I imagine there are some old time hunters out there with a Winchester that predates serial numbers, who can shoot a gnat off a flies ass.

I'd also imagine there are more Fudds with one 'deer gun' with a wobbly, loose scope who can't shoot for shit, and still believe that boxes of ammo expire.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.

If they have only one and they're over the age of....say, 25, it's likely in their sock drawer...somewhere....loaded with shells from the only box of ammo they've ever purchased, never fired for function, etc.
View Quote

That's like my mom.  My dad bought her a J-frame back in the early '80s.  She shot it once or twice, and still had it loaded with the same LSWCHPs from the first and only box of ammo ever.  

I wanted to see it a couple of years ago and it took her two days to find it.  So, in her case, 911 would be faster than a .38.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Fear the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it"

Yeah? I'm skeptical. Usually they never shoot their one gun and have had the same box of ammo for twenty years.

The only exception I can think of was a couple of guys I know extremely tangentially who teach classes and do kind of big shot body guard work, like really famous people, transport jewels and stuff like that. They do seem like a couple of tough characters and I guess one of the guys mentioned he has a glock and a semi auto AR15, that's it. no 10/22, 870, nothing else. He needs the guns he has to teach classes, which are pistol and carbine related classes, and, I guess, to kill people at work if it comes up. Course I have a gazillion guns and he can shoot rings around me.

Generally though, I am skeptical.
View Quote

Fear the guy who only carries a pencil as a deadly weapon because you know he is the most badass.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I carry one gun.  Just one.  Every day.......

Feeling lucky?

Well, are you punk?!!!!!

Now get off my lawn!!!!!!!

No, seriously, could you get off the lawn?  I just put down some fertilizer and I'm trying to get rid of this dollar weed. Also, the begonias were just planted and I don't want them trampled.  That is if they survive this heat.  Very dry heat too, not really a lot of rain this time of year.  We really should be having more rain.  Weather is a real son-of-a-gun.  Makes me all hot and itchy.  Then I get this rash....here let me show you......Actually, Jeopardy is coming on...we'll have to finish this later.
View Quote

Did you try yelling at the clouds?

Better yet, shoot them. If you shoot the clouds and then a hurricane happens, the internet will say that you did it. The internet will be afraid of you because you have a deadly weather machine assault rifle, which is much more scary than the Halliburton weather and election tampering machine.

You should patent it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#13]
There's some truth in it. Question is, does he have 1 gun because he just happens to have 1 'just in case' and otherwise has no interest in it, or does he use just that gun all the time? Huge difference.

Back when I used to have to shoot at a gun range, I realized that the people who had more rifles/pistols and talked about them all the time, knew the least about them and usually couldn't shoot any of them worth a shit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fear the guy who only carries a pencil as a deadly weapon because you know he is the most badass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah? I'm skeptical. Usually they never shoot their one gun and have had the same box of ammo for twenty years.

The only exception I can think of was a couple of guys I know extremely tangentially who teach classes and do kind of big shot body guard work, like really famous people, transport jewels and stuff like that. They do seem like a couple of tough characters and I guess one of the guys mentioned he has a glock and a semi auto AR15, that's it. no 10/22, 870, nothing else. He needs the guns he has to teach classes, which are pistol and carbine related classes, and, I guess, to kill people at work if it comes up. Course I have a gazillion guns and he can shoot rings around me.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Prince Andrew of the Peoples Republic of NY supposedly has one gun, or so he says
You be the judge
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, My carry gun has remained the same since before I got my license, when it was a truck gun, which has been a looong time.

G-22 for years. and I shoot it. A lot. And hit things.

But I have a lot of other guns. Trunk guns, Range toys, hunting tools, future barter......
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of the people I know who only have one gun have had it sitting in a nightstand drawer since they bought it.  It may have been shot once or twice, and it may have been taken out of the box, loaded, put in the drawer and it's never come out since. It's usually covered with something like a small towel, then has all the typical nightstand shit piled all over it.

So no, anyone with only one gun is either a brand new gun owner who's just getting started, or someone with no real interest in guns whatsoever other than having one around "just in case".  So it's fair to assume that neither will have much training or experience using it.

The exception to the rule is a gun enthusiast who lost all his guns in a divorce and now that it's over just bought his "first" gun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've known more than a couple of Texas ranchers who make the saying ring true.  Standing, off-hand 200-yard shot on a trotting coyote at dusk with a 94 Winchester made a believer out me one evening.  That gentleman could shoot, only ever owned one rifle and one pistol.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The exception to the rule is a gun enthusiast who lost all his guns in a divorce and now that it's over just bought his "first" gun.
View Quote

I can't imagine any gun guy selling ALL of their guns because of a divorce unless it was the only way to meet some sort of cash payment requirement?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top