Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 9:19:00 PM EDT
I would like to create the Latin verse for our family motto:  "Try it and see what happens"

I used Google and some other translating programs and I get varying results. So I was wondering if there were any Latinese people here who could help?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Romani ite domum
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Romani ite domum
View Quote

Exactly the scene I was thinking of while trying to use the translators.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sic Semper Lesbianus
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Adgressus est et quid accidit.

Had to change "try" to "attempt."

Nope. No good. Tried to translate it backward and got

Attacked and what happened
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Pugnatisti (you singular fight?)  Vicimus (you plural see?) mortem (death)

I am sorry it has been years since latin class.

Nope, not mine either. translated as "the fighter conquered death"
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Rytay Itay Danya Eesya Atwhay Penshapya
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Adgressus est et quid accidit.

Had to change "try" to "attempt."

Nope. No good. Tried to translate it backward and got

Attacked and what happened
View Quote

Yeah, I got the same thing when I tried it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the problem is that the phrase you are trying to translate is somewhat idiomatic.

When you say, "Try it and see what happens" I assume you mean, “If you attempt to do the thing I have warned you against, you shall face my retribution.”

But it could mean “perform the experiment and observe the results.” And it could mean a lot of other things too. It all depends on the context.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Still dumb but i'll take another swing at it.

Venit (they come?) et Vizit (they see?) delectum (destruction).

ETA: nope, way off base.

ETA also- it's a good thing I am not an ambassador because I myself might start a war
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think the problem is that the phrase you are trying to translate is somewhat idiomatic.

When you say, "Try it and see what happens" I assume you mean, "If you attempt to do the thing I have warned you against, you shall face my retribution.”

But it could mean "perform the experiment and observe the results.” And it could mean a lot of other things too. It all depends on the context.

View Quote

Growing up Dad would always tell us "Try it and see what happens" when we asked him a question. When he put up an electric fence we asked him a dozen questions about how it works etc. and also how bad did it shock the animals. He told us to try it and see what it felt like.  We would ask about making dry ice bombs and he would say try it, see what happens.

My brother and I see it as the official family motto. It must also be lucky, because we made it thru childhood in one piece.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When you say, "Try it and see what happens" I assume you mean, “If you attempt to do the thing I have warned you against, you shall face my retribution.”

But it could mean “perform the experiment and observe the results.” And it could mean a lot of other things too. It all depends on the context.
View Quote

Yeah, it's definitely idiomatic and will not translate well into Latin conveying the spirit it's meant to.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Won't work unless your last name's Stuart, though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's definitely idiomatic and will not translate well into Latin conveying the spirit it's meant to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, you can go the other way by stating "our family is strong, if you attack us, witness the results"
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Right, you can go the other way by stating "our family is strong, if you attack us, witness the results"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you say, "Try it and see what happens" I assume you mean, "If you attempt to do the thing I have warned you against, you shall face my retribution.”

But it could mean "perform the experiment and observe the results.” And it could mean a lot of other things too. It all depends on the context.

In my case it is more Our kid's are stupid and will hurt themselves learning..

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted before you gave the full context. In your case, the verb you seek for "try" is "tento." If you want it to be a plural imperative, the conjugation is tentate; singular is tenta.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Illigitemi non carborum.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not sure if accido or facio should be the root verb for "happens" in this context, nor what conjugation to use.

The rest should be as follows (singular and then plural addresses):

Tenta et vide quid (happens).

Tentate et videte quid (happens).
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi is my unofficial family motto. You are welcome to use it instead.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi is my unofficial family motto. You are welcome to use it instead.
View Quote

Ha! I studied Latin for 4 years in high school. I could read cicero's orations to the senate and most of the shit from Pompeii etc but when anyone asked me to say something in Latin I would always say semper ubi sub ubi.

When people asked why I took Latin classes I referenced the quote,"a wise man need not know Latin, but should have at least forgotten it."
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Tenta ut eventum videbis.

Try, so that you shall see the outcome.

I like the ut clause in this case: I think it preserves some of the intent of the idiomatic expression.  "Tenta" is imperative affirmative singular, and "eventum" is accusative singular; with the verb "videbis", "you shall/will see."

This may not be correct, I'll have to research how the purpose clause can invoke an imperative. But it looks correct to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#23]
ITT we learn who are no shit grammar nazis
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Tenta ut eventum videbis.

Try, so that you shall see the outcome.

I like the ut clause in this case: I think it preserves some of the intent of the idiomatic expression.  "Tenta" is imperative affirmative singular, and "eventum" is accusative singular; with the verb "videbis", "you shall/will see."

This may not be correct, I'll have to research how the purpose clause can invoke an imperative. But it looks correct to me.
View Quote

I like that, close enough. Thanks.

As for the rest of what you typed, I have no clue what it means... (It's Greek to me)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top