Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/22/2016 8:12:18 PM EDT
Someone attempted to make a large purchase with a cloned version of my credit card yesterday. Thankfully, my issuer caught it before the transaction went through. I have the amount of the transaction, the exact time and date and a list of what they tried to purchase. They also think they will likely have video of the perpetrator. I also haven't used the card much over the past few weeks, maybe ten total transactions, three of them being likely sources (gas station, restaurant). The attempted transaction was near enough to my city that it is very likely that this individual personally scanned the card rather than sold it or gave it to someone on the Internet.

I want to catch this person. I am motivated enough to go interview people to do so at these likely locations of the source of the fraud. Given the circumstances, I think that this is a pretty good opportunity to actually find one of these people. The fact that the attempted fraud was so close by means they are likely an amateur and I might be able to sniff them out just by confronting them and asking questions. I am pretty sure it was at a restaurant, which means I can probably find out who was on shift and who actually handled my card.

Does anyone have any advice, tips, etc? I want to find this person and ruin their fucking life.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Someone attempted to make a large purchase with a cloned version of my credit card yesterday. Thankfully, my issuer caught it before the transaction went through. I have the amount of the transaction, the exact time and date and a list of what they tried to purchase. They also think they will likely have video of the perpetrator. I also haven't used the card much over the past few weeks, maybe ten total transactions, three of them being likely sources (gas station, restaurant). The attempted transaction was near enough to my city that it is very likely that this individual personally scanned the card rather than sold it or gave it to someone on the Internet.

I want to catch this person. I am motivated enough to go interview people to do so at these likely locations of the source of the fraud. Given the circumstances, I think that this is a pretty good opportunity to actually find one of these people. The fact that the attempted fraud was so close by means they are likely an amateur and I might be able to sniff them out just by confronting them and asking questions. I am pretty sure it was at a restaurant, which means I can probably find out who was on shift and who actually handled my card.

Does anyone have any advice, tips, etc? I want to find this person and ruin their fucking life.
View Quote
Don't. You are opening yourself to serious and consequential legal jeopardy.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Let it go
Good guys end up in jail doing things your referring to

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Let the police handle it.  The store in question will likely not even talk to you about it, nevermind let you look at  video. They will help the police though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems to me the law cares a lot more about punishing guys like you than they ever will about actual criminals.

That being said, I'd be REALLY awesome if your caught them and got them fired, or took them to another city, stripped them naked and dropped them off in the ghetto
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure why you care so much.

One of the biggest benefits of a credit card is the buyer protection. Bank caught it and will issue a new card. Big deal, it's over. Chances are the bank doesn't even care.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Screw the haters. Go Liam Neeson on his ass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I like where your head is Op. Find this dude, tie him to a chair and do very bad things to him with rusty hand tools. Live stream the whole thing on YouTube to strike fear into the hearts of his credit card cloning brethren. Wear a mask and talk like the Joker.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure why you care so much.

One of the biggest benefits of a credit card is the buyer protection. Bank caught it and will issue a new card. Big deal, it's over. Chances are the bank doesn't even care.

View Quote

Because fuck them. That's why.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
How old are you, OP?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a patient man.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#12]
We all get those thoughts.

Forget it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
As long as you have minimum losses just let it go by.  I had my card skimmed a year ago and knew where it was done and the sites used.  Basically had the identity of the skimmer.  Gave VISA the case on a platter.  They assured me the "loss team" was working on it.   Called VISA about two months later.  They had done nothing and admitted they would not do anything.  I was free to contact  a Chicago area PD.  Like they would really have time to do anything.  The losses are all computed into the big spread sheet accounting each year.  That is why interest rates are 12 to 28%.  VISA, Mastercard, and dozens of other card services, are half the problem because they won't follow up on cases, even the easiest prosecutions.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Let the police handle it.  The store in question will likely not even talk to you about it, nevermind let you look at  video. They will help the police though.
View Quote

The police wouldn't even take a second look at it. The store has video. Just got the call. The Loss Prevention manager invited me down tomorrow to see it. He is willing to share it with the police. I need to find out enough information to make them care.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Talk to the police, if you don't live in some big ass city they will probably help. Cops here broke up a pretty big skimming operation a month ago.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Alright, Batman.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I got news for you, the cops don't care.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I remember my first time too .... waiting for the fifth time now.
View Quote

Me too, brand new card and one transaction. Middle Eastern guy at the cigar shop wanted a new drone. He is in jail now since he did it to 7 others the same week, mine alone was 1400 and all totaled about 23k

Eta forgot to mention one of the victims was the cleo in the neighboring town where I grew up, basically what got him busted..
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I think this is what the OP had in mind.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As long as you have minimum losses just let it go by.  I had my card skimmed a year ago and knew where it was done and the sites used.  Basically had the identity of the skimmer.  Gave VISA the case on a platter.  They assured me the "loss team" was working on it.   Called VISA about two months later.  They had done nothing and admitted they would not do anything.  I was free to contact  a Chicago area PD.  Like they would really have time to do anything.  The losses are all computed into the big spread sheet accounting each year.  That is why interest rates are 12 to 28%.  VISA, Mastercard, and dozens of other card services, are half the problem because they won't follow up on cases, even the easiest prosecutions.
View Quote

If I was a restaurant owner, I might want to know that one of their employees is committing credit card fraud and theft.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#21]
... Let the bank deal with it
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#22]
You're wasting an awful lot of calories on a non-event. This stuff happens all-day everyday and nobody, not even your card issuer, give a shit

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I got news for you, the cops don't care.
View Quote

Unfortunately, that isn't news.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Always look carefully at the card readers on gas pumps for signs of a skimmer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
... Let the bank deal with it
View Quote

They never deal with it. This person will get to go on doing what they are doing. NOT IN MY HOUSE.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Do people just walk by you with some type of card reader ? How does this work ?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You're wasting an awful lot of calories on a non-event. This stuff happens all-day everyday and nobody, not even your card issuer, give a shit

View Quote

But I do give a shit because I want them to pay in one way or another. Revenge feels great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#29]

This is gonna be good.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I actually grab the card slot and give it a tug before inserting my card.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do people just walk by you with some type of card reader ? How does this work ?
View Quote

No, and those metal wallets are a sham.

What happens is a criminal puts a skimmer on the card reader, it covers the real card reader and let's it function, but also ready your card info and stores it in its memory. To you, it looks like normal, and the gas pump functions just fine.

The thief goes back an hour or day later and downloads the data to their computer. Then using a card read write machine can clone your credit card and take it to a store and use it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
the law cares a lot more about punishing guys like you than they ever will about actual criminals.
View Quote

This.

If something goes wrong, you will be shown no leniency. Vigilantism is only secondary to hate crimes and terrorism in this society, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know why guys take credit card fraud personally.  It can be an ass pain, sure, but guys need to chill the fuck out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thankfully, my issuer caught it before the transaction went through.

View Quote

Was the charged approved and refunded or just denied?

At any rate trying to go after them is a bad idea IMO.

The last time I had someone fraud my CC it was for $1000 for a spa day in FL (when I was in VA). My issuer denied the charge.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm going there tomorrow to see video of this person. I am going to find them.

I'm 20% over my sales quota for the entire year and it is April. I am sandbagging it for the rest of the year (budgets are a bitch), so I have plenty of time to engage in childish revenge crusades.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't bother getting the police involved.  they will do absolutely nothing.   Got mine cloned once.  Was able to find name and address of the perp.  Went to state police.  I guess they only write traffic tickets I as they told me to go to the local cops.  I told him that this is NY and he is a NY State trooper so he is my local cop.  No sale.  Went to county police.  Lady cop took all the info and documentation I had.  When I asked her for a police report number she quoted me a string of numbers off the top of her head.  Oddly enough I never heard anything back on that one.  

They simply will not bother with this sort of crime unless it is one of their own who is scammed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do this too, and don't trust the "secure" or "safety seal" stickers. Lots of guys are putting those on to look more authentic
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#38]
OP,
I'm glad you care. Too many people don't care. That's why we have these problems.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't know why guys take credit card fraud personally.  It can be an ass pain, sure, but guys need to chill the fuck out.
View Quote

It isn't personal. I just want to destroy them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This.

If something goes wrong, you will be shown no leniency. Vigilantism is only secondary to hate crimes and terrorism in this society, unfortunately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the law cares a lot more about punishing guys like you than they ever will about actual criminals.

This.

Don't worry, no laws will be broken and I will protect myself civilly as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Then you shouldn't  have posted here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Go get 'em, hero. Tagging this thread for eventual let down.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'm going there tomorrow to see video of this person. I am going to find them.

I'm 20% over my sales quota for the entire year and it is April. I am sandbagging it for the rest of the year (budgets are a bitch), so I have plenty of time to engage in childish revenge crusades.
View Quote

You're going to get loved tenderly.  If not by the guy or group you're chasing, then by the cops.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Let it go...
BUT, you must have an idea which restaurant.

Never set foot in there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Who gives a fuck, your credit card company employs people whos sole job is to do this. It is what your fees and interest pay for, Its not your job.Fucking Magnum PI over here.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I think this is appropriate for this thread:

lol
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Then you shouldn't  have posted here.
View Quote

Oh please. Even if they had an inkling that I visited this site, you envision ARFCOM being subpoenaed" for getting someone fired and doxxing them on the Internet? What fucking world do you live in?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Kind of related story. Someone bought a damn iPad with my card. Called apple and they confirmed it wasn't my address they shipped it to. Disputed the charge. A few weeks later capital one sends me a letter stating they need more info and included the statement complete with the address they shipped it to. It was a 5 minute walk from my house. I was livid at this point I was ready to drive over there and kick in the door. I refrained and called the cops instead. They went over to talk to the people and found out she was part of some scam where people send her packages (stolen stuff) and she resends them to different addresses.

In the end I was glad I held back. I got the charge cleared, she got arrested, and I didn't get arrested for smashing out someone's fucking windows.

Just dispute the charge, call the cops, and forget about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top