Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:29:52 PM EDT
I built a walk in flower cooler. I used fiberglass batts. Not the idea material but i had it and it only needs to last a couple years at most.

Since I built it I found out we may be moving the shop within a year. The cooler will then be used only for a few day near holidays.

The wall against the outside brick wall has a vapor barrier over the bricks. I then built a 2x4 wall with enough room to put an R-24 batt behind the studs. I then put  R15 in between the studs. On the face of the studs the inside cooler wall I put 1/2 rigid foam with aluminum face on both sides. It's rated at R4. So I have about R40 or so in the side, front and back walls.

The ceiling  3 layers of the R24 plus 3 inches of rigid foam on top of 12 inches or so fiberglass under that. The foam up was there when we moved in. So its at least R100  I put the 3 layers of R24 up there because I had it left over and it was in the way.

Now the last wall that was all ready built. 1/2 inch dry wall on the outside of 2x4,s  with R15 with plastic plus some roll foam stapled to the insdie. I added the aluminum coated rigid foam to the inside. all joints are covered with metallic tape so its pretty air tight. However it only R20 or so at best.

Now I dont have the room to build even a 2x2 wall with R24 batts behind it. it would restrict the walk way to the back door too much.

I do have 6 inches of room. I have a bunch of 2'x2' Styrofoam squares 2 inches thick. I have enough for 3 layers to make up that 6 inches. If I glued that to the drywall in 3 layers overlaping seems and taping it what kind of R factor would I have in that wall. Would it e close to the R40 i have in the others ?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
just set it and forget it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top