Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 10:41:46 AM EDT
I'm building a 350 and a coworker has 2 for $80 both cast 2 piece rear main, one has never been turned the other has been turned 20
He says threads and keyways are good
They both need turned now, the 20 looks like (from the pics) should have one turn left in it
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Really tho,  no idea. .....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm building a 350 and a coworker has 2 for $80 both cast 2 piece rear main, one has never been turned the other has been turned 20
They both need turned now, the 20 looks like (from the pics) should have one turn left in it
View Quote

This is not an area for a babe in the woods.

Go to Jeg's or Summit and get a crank.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Not much . They are cores . So whatever the core is on a cast small block crank . I can buy a new Eagle crank from Summit for $200 . so those cast cranks are a step above scrap prices
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree, except support your local garage or speed shop.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't used unknown quality parts if it's gonna be making any sort of power.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Not going to be worth much since they need to be turned. Cast cranks are OK for mild engines in my experience, but for any real performance application you really want a steel crank. What kind of power are you hoping to make with the small block and what kind of usage will it see?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed IF you have one you can trust.

If you're going to build many motors, you need to go get real friendly with a good machinist.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Not worth the time if they were free.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#9]
A dozen chickens in Cuba.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah your spending a shit load of time building an engine. Do it right the first time.

BTDT. Some shithole company in CA sent me a "balanced" shortblock that wasn't.

After the engine is in the car is a bad time to find out the crank is shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Mainland USA, where you can have a cast steel crank, ready to install for 200 bucks, delivered:
a used OEM Iron crank is worth about a cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#12]
we usedrandom cast cranks for street motors a few times.  if unknown origin, measure everything yourself.  my bud would hang them on a coat hanger and lightly tap them with a hammer, just enough to make it ring.  he said if it was cracked, it wouldmake a "thud" and not ring like a bell.  i dunno about all that.  my personal cars i bought new crank, rods and pistons as kits and had them balanced.  i'm picky though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably this.

It's been a while for me but how much to turn a crank these days?

It used to be $100 around here to just turn one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#14]
depends upon whether or not your mullet is fully grown in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#15]
A cast crank? No thank you.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Around here machine shops are super expensive. I priced a bore and hone on a block here locally and was quoted about 700. To me that seems expensive. I would just get a crank kit from rockauto for about 200 and it comes with bearings.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Scrap weight around here. Too many affordable options to be cutting a cast crank.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#18]
By the time you magnaflux and turn down one of those, you can buy a Scat crank.

Rick
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Put a 400 crank in it and notch the cylinders.

Lol, ok, but seriously OP you don't want a shitty crank. Its going to cost you the same for buying the coworkers and getting it usable than if you were to just buy one off of Jegs or Summit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#20]
They would be worth more of you welded them together and put a mailbox on top.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I sell them inspected, ground, and with sealed power bearings for 130.00 core value is $35.00.

Its going to cost you more to have them ground.

As to the people saying but a new Eagle or Scat crank.  

That is an option, but remember those need balanced.  You are looking at around $200 for that service.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#22]
How well do you know your co-worker?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Probably this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably this.

And they won't polish it unless you ask.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]
cast = crap
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok got it, forgot about core charge just looked and its $35
This is a budget build in a truck to sell I'm not buying a new crank BTW. The one in it is ground 30 so it's done
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've run many stock Ford cranks pretty hard. They seem to do OK up till 7500 or so. Supposedly, they're nodular iron unless you get a real limited edition motor. Ford didn't do many steel cranks in factory motors after the FE series. Boss 302's had them I think and that's about it.

Most of the Chevy guys went for aftermarket stuff as even the "steel" factory stuff seemed to give them problems quite a bit after they had the flame turned up pretty high..
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Bout tree fiddy
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've run many stock Ford cranks pretty hard. They seem to do OK up till 7500 or so. Supposedly, they're nodular iron unless you get a real limited edition motor. Ford didn't do many steel cranks in factory motors after the FE series. Boss 302's had them I think and that's about it.

Most of the Chevy guys went for aftermarket stuff as even the "steel" factory stuff seemed to give them problems quite a bit after they had the flame turned up pretty high..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't trust cast anything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Around here machine shops are super expensive. I priced a bore and hone on a block here locally and was quoted about 700. To me that seems expensive. I would just get a crank kit from rockauto for about 200 and it comes with bearings.
View Quote

A shop using a Sunnin hone vs a shop using some Harbor Freight hone, that's why.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top