Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 9:52:14 PM EDT
I keep seeing news about Mexican tunnels used to bring drugs into the US.

I don't get it.  Is it worth all that effort?

Can't they just smuggle drugs in some easier way?

The tunnels look like they are carved in rock.  That has got to be a pain to excavate.

And the airborne dust must be awful.

How do they dig them?  No jackhammers, I assume, but I would think that the noise could still be heard at the surface.

Anybody ever been through one of these tunnels?  If so, how was it?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/21/800-yard-long-drug-tunnel-found-between-mexico-and-san-diego.html?intcmp=hplnws
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
"To dramatically over-react"

<-------------------------
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume sending mules on foot across the border has a very high loss rate, between people getting caught, ditching the drugs, or rip crews jacking them.

A tunnel, once established, probably has a insane amount of drugs passed through it, with no loss. All for the cost of 1 bundle of Heroin.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anybody ever been through one of these tunnels?  If so, how was it?
View Quote

I've been in a number of them from simple earthen to well reinforced.

The walls are a clay/sand/bentonite with small rocks in the San Diego area - nothing a Hilti drill can't make short work of.

Tecate is hard rock.

El Centro has high water table with a sand/loam soil.

San Luis is like fine play box sand - needs complete reinforcement

Nogales is a mix of hard rock and sand/clay soils.

Naco and Douglas are sand/clay with some rock.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And the airborne dust must be awful.
View Quote

Are you scared of the dust?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Just goes to show how easy they have it,they can take their time and make tunnels...a lot of them. They can put all that effort into illegal shit like drugs and coming over here w/o going through the proper channels but they are too lazy to fix their culture and country.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The cartel doesn't build it so what do they care. Just point their mules to a task and it's done.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Cheap labor.
The ones I've seen on TV come up inside warehouses on our side.
Easy to stack it deep and load trucks to haul it out of an industrial / warehouse area.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#8]
¿Plomo o Plato?

Motherfuckers will dig.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]
We need to bury all our super radioactive nuclear waste along the border.....all of it..
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I am surprised they haven't done a bank vacuum tube style setup, or a round trip water pipe to pump drugs sealed in plastic.  Would be harder to detect than a tunnel even if it would have lower transfer rate.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just goes to show how easy they have it,they can take their time and make tunnels...a lot of them. They can put all that effort into illegal shit like drugs and coming over here w/o going through the proper channels but they are too lazy to fix their culture and country.
View Quote
Lol, what a foolish statement.

Why haven't Americans fixed politics here then? Too lazy?

If you think digging a tunnel is the same effort as rebuilding a corrupt national government system, I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
the tunnels are doable, finding someone to survey the route with some turns accurately is impressive. Like popping up in Chapo's cell.
What I wonder is when they concrete fill one, mining along that same path, next to or under is easier and often safer.

Do they do an asbuilt survey of them before the fill ?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#13]
If the US Govt had any balls, they could stop the tunnels quickly.
Once they find them, they plant some C4 with trip wires ..... BOOOOOMMMMM ... No more tunnel, drugs are buried.
Do that a few times and the smugglers will get too scared to travel through the tunnels.
Ill bet its mostly hard drugs going through the tunnels, prolly too hard and not worth it to push weed bales through, and aliens might talk too much.
They don't want to risk giving a lot of hard drugs to some lackey who might get caught on the border, and lose all the drugs.

But then with odumbo at the helm, the US Govt even lacks ovarian fortitude.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assume sending mules on foot across the border has a very high loss rate, between people getting caught, ditching the drugs, or rip crews jacking them.

A tunnel, once established, probably has a insane amount of drugs passed through it, with no loss. All for the cost of 1 bundle of Heroin.
View Quote

Pretty much hitting the nail on the head. And the cost is probably 1 kilo for 20 guys to dig the tunnel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:03:00 AM EDT
[#15]
The wall just got 10 feet deeper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top