Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 11:34:58 AM EDT
http://theadvocate.com/news/15543712-106/louisiana-legislature-considers-hate-crime-protections-for-police-firefighters

Louisiana would be among the first states to make it a hate crime to target police officers and firefighters, if legislation that is being pushed at the State Capitol this session is successful.

Supporters argue that new protections are needed for law enforcement because of recent cases of targeted crimes against first responders. Meanwhile, critics say the effort is unnecessary and distracts from the point of hate crime laws.

House Bill 953, which would expand the state hate crime law and ultimately increase penalties for certain crimes that target law enforcement and firefighters in Louisiana, passed through a state House committee on Wednesday after little discussion.
View Quote

Under Louisiana’s hate crime statute, people convicted of felonies against protected classes face an additional five years in prison and up to $5,000 fine. In misdemeanor cases, the hate crime statute increases penalties by $500 or up to six months in prison.

HB953 would add those same increased penalties for any victim who is targeted based upon his or her actual or perceived employment as a law enforcement officer or firefighter.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#1]
This is going to be fun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Just make everyone a "special person" and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#4]
When do I get to be a special snowflake?

Oh wait, I'm just a free market working, taxpaying, heterosexual, white, male cisgender scum No special rights for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh wait, I'm just a free market working, taxpaying, heterosexual, white, male cisgender scum No special rights for me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have absolute confidence in the Louisiana justice system and I know in my heart this will never be abused.

Please check sarcasm detector before responding.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A real human being... and a real hero.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

you fucking around on etrade.com constitutes as a job now?

Shit, I am like quintuply employed now.  

Obama just created another job
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/IOAt5gw.jpg?1

This.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#12]

And they just rejected constitutional carry.  Again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have absolute confidence in the Louisiana justice system and I know in my heart this will never be abused.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top