Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 12:55:19 PM EDT
Started a small garden this past weekend. And now I'm thinking of expansion and possibly growing our entire supply of veggies for next year. Growing area isn't an issue. I was thinking of starting a list and recording what vegetables we use over the next few months to get an idea of what would be planted.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There are individuals in GD that grow all the vegetables they eat in a year, and they don't even have a garden.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are individuals in GD that grow all the vegetables they eat in a year, and they don't even have a garden.
View Quote

I do.
In fact I'm the best at.
Just ask any of my friends, they will tell you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Kind of an ambiguous question; really depends entirely on what veggies you're talking about and what kind of preservation techniques.  I can easily grow enough green beans to last 2 or 3 years, home-canned.  Cucumbers, not so much... no good way to preserve them (well, pickles, but that really ends up being a different product), so there's no real way to grow a year's supply easily.  Sweet corn, easy.  Lettuce?  Nope.  Tomatoes - I can grow several year's worth of canned tomatoes/sauce, but something to slice up for a BLT?  Summer only.  Brussels Sprouts?  I currently grow a lifetime supply for me: none.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If I lived in Yuma AZ, I probably could since it almost never freezes. The problem is trying to preserve a year's supply in only 3 months when everything is ready. We can, dehydrate, and even have a freeze dryer. We put up about 80 quarts of tomatoes in various forms. Squash and peppers I like to freeze dry. I dehydrate grapes and berries. Fruit from the trees we dry, can, and freeze dry. We are pretty busy in August and September.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I've thought about it but I don't have the space to house the real food I would be feeding with vegetables.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Start small. Grow the expensive stuff and stuff that is better when home grown, first. Like peppers and tomatoes.

Growing and preserving a year's veggies is a monumental undertaking. My grandparents did it, pretty much. It was a little over a 3/4 acre garden plus fruit trees and berry patch.

The harvest season was a huge amount of work with canning, drying, salting, storing potatoes in a root cellar, etc.

It can be done but it's a lot of work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top