Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Drunk lives matters!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Screen of Shame.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Mothers Against Drunk Driving got a two-year, $800,000 contract to attend hearings in at least five New Mexico counties hit hard by drunken driving arrests and deaths
View Quote

I was going to say "Well, they're allowed to post public records so whatever." But what the hell is this? A contract to attend hearings?

Money talks, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate drunk drivers.  They do more harm in one weekend than most guns all year.  

That said, what else is there to do in NM besides drink?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was going to say "Well, they're allowed to post public records so whatever." But what the hell is this? A contract to attend hearings?

Money talks, I guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mothers Against Drunk Driving got a two-year, $800,000 contract to attend hearings in at least five New Mexico counties hit hard by drunken driving arrests and deaths

Money talks, I guess.

MADD is all about making money.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hate drunk drivers.  They do more harm in one weekend than most guns all year.  

View Quote

Read stupid blanket statements from people
who think they live in a greater place.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Money talks, I guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Money talks, I guess.

My thoughts exactly.

If an advocacy group wants to access public records then have at it.

However, the taxpayer should not be funding a private advocacy entity.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#8]
$800K wasted
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Went to a wine tasting with my wife in New Mexico .... behind the counter they had a break down of what happens if you were caught drinking and driving.  They had a breakdown of what happens when you get busted up to 8 times .  Blew my mind, in my state you basically done after 2
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#10]
So the state is giving money to a non-state entity to watch state employees work and attempt to shame them into doing their job in the manner the non-state entity wants them to?

That's as fucked up a use of public money as any I've ever seen.

ETA: I have to wonder what executive branch/agency budget is this money coming from?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]
It's hard to argue that this doesn't risk turning into a conviction quota system via mob rule.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Why do they need to attend the hearings? A single volunteer could read summaries for an hour each evening for free.

Also, the state sets the punishments in the law. So, isn't this their fault?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Im all for shaming criminals but I think that 800K could probably be used better elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't get me started. Every court does that shit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Drive?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't get me started. Every court does that shit.
View Quote

Que?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Social media feeds will soon tell you if drunken driving offenders are let off too easy, New Mexico officials say.

The state will pay staffers from Mothers Against Drunk Driving to monitor court hearings by judges who are routinely lenient in drunken driving cases, Republican Gov. Susana Martinez announced Tuesday.

The group will send details about sentences to state officials, who will identify repeat offenders and the judges in tweets.

The program joins others nationwide in using social media to publicize crimes by repeat offenders, a move that has drawn scrutiny from privacy advocates. But it's unusual to target judges, and opponents have called it unethical.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving got a two-year, $800,000 contract to attend hearings in at least five New Mexico counties hit hard by drunken driving arrests and deaths. The group also offers court monitoring in other states.

The governor said the program aims to show the failure to crack down on those convicted of multiple DUI violations.

Democratic state Rep. Antonio "Moe" Maestas called it a public relations stunt, saying it takes the focus off DUI prevention and tries to put the blame on judges and prosecutors.

"Blaming a judge for not enough conviction rates is like blaming (a baseball) umpire for not enough strikeouts," said Maestas, a defense lawyer who represents clients charged in drunken driving cases and has worked as a prosecutor.

He called the monitoring program "unethical" and said it puts pressure on judges for harsher sentencings regardless of the facts.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/31767032/new-mexico-social-media-to-broadcast-lenient-dui-sentences
View Quote

I had no problem with this, until I read that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top