Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 11:43:14 PM EDT
I have a few lodge skillets and two that belonged to my great grandmother that were passed to me by my grandmother before she died.

The lodge skillets are just fine but the finish is not smooth like the skillets of old. The lodge pans have the texture of the casting sand but mine are still slick.  Anyway, I wanted to see if smoothing the pan would make a difference so I got to work with the flap disc.

So I finished the pan and reseasoned it a couple of times.  Let it cool completely then set about to fry a couple eggs in butter.  They slid around the pan like they were on ice!  So I plan to do this to the rest of my lodge pans. My grandmothers pans are just perfect and no need to mess with them at all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Photos?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I tune up all my cast iron. Half an hour on each pan equals a lifetime of smiles.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't bother. Nothing that can't be searched online. The pan is mirror smooth and black as coal. Looks like it was painted with black laquer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tune up all my cast iron. Half an hour on each pan equals a lifetime of smiles.
View Quote

I have to admit. I was really surprised. Though I have my pans pretty slick, never had eggs sliding around in them  either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a successful experiment.  I hope you did your store bought skillets before you went after granny's. Just in case.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds like a successful experiment.  I hope you did your store bought skillets before you went after granny's. Just in case.
View Quote

Didn't touch hers.  They are glass smooth already.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah--photos of grandma needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Photos?

Yeah--photos of grandma needed.

Yup

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#9]
What grit?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What grit?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What grit?

This.

80 grit and finished with 120 on a palm orbital sander.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Did this to two of my lodge cast iron pans.

Worked pretty well, there are some voids in the casting however that remain, overall it was a big improvement.

The wife was happy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I usually just wipe my pan with kosher salt, then wipe down with oil over low heat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
They don't make 'em like they used to...got this one from my wife's grandmother...

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never bothered on my Lodge stuff. I don't really see the benefit of having it machined, other than maybe achieving non-stick properties a little quicker. That or looks (my Griswolds sure are purdy).
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#16]
use and using flat metal spatulas have smoothed mine out tremendously with out having to take a grinder to them. Just use the MFers. people really go crazy over cast iron.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top