Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 5:13:51 PM EDT

"  a magnitude-6 earthquake or larger typically strikes every 10 years or so along the Sierra Nevada frontal fault system running from south of Yosemite National Park to north of Reno and Lake Tahoe. There were seven magnitude-6.5 or larger in the region from 1915 to 1954, but none since, he said. The last magnitude-6 was 22 years ago in the Carson Valley south of Carson City."

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Sierra-s-eastern-front-long-overdue-for-large-7256632.php
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
What happened prior to 1915, and maybe the earthquakes were abnormal?

I'd look at Mammoth Mtn which is active, for the quakes
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I check the Southern California Earthquake Data Center earthquake page for here, 118-39, almost every day. Not uncommon for there to be hundreds of micro quakes every week. Occasional quakes in the 3.5 to 4 range. I was hoping it meant that the tension was being released gradually and continuously.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Somebody wants a research grant.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
whats fun is underground mining and all of a sudden the ground gets bad for mining, real  roken up. Hard to maintain ground support, extra measures taken.
Then a geologist asks hows things going, oh real slow, bad ground.
Well we thought so, this being were going through a fault.
Oh ok no problem then.
Mine through it and keep going, but knowing some shifting could make that impassable and trap someone on the far side.

This one in particular was in n.nev.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Was close to the epicenter for the Northridge quake, 1992 IIRC.

Don't think I've ever been so terrified, either before or since.
There's not a damn thing you can do until the ground stops heaving

One of the MANY things I do not miss about SoCal
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
In before the Yellow Stone Park super volcanoe splodes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy shit!  My hometown is on that map!  Tiny little motherfucker, 3K people since the dawn of time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, April and May are really bad for earthquake weather.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Just wait till the New Madrid fault decide to move, it's overdue as well.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I knew I should have skied Mammoth this year
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
whats fun is underground mining and all of a sudden the ground gets bad for mining, real  roken up. Hard to maintain ground support, extra measures taken.
Then a geologist asks hows things going, oh real slow, bad ground.
Well we thought so, this being were going through a fault.
Oh ok no problem then.
Mine through it and keep going, but knowing some shifting could make that impassable and trap someone on the far side.

This one in particular was in n.nev.
View Quote

username is super fitting it seems....

I think I got what you're saying though
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
NYC actually has a few faults running through it. Drive up into Harlem and few realize that huge dip (at 125th st???) is the result of a fault line and one of the uptown bridges is designed to flex quite a bit in any direction. They're also in the due/past due realm time-wise...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top