Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2016 7:24:06 AM EDT
The Supreme Court seems 'deadlocked' over one of Obama's signature actions, and it could mean a big defeat

The Supreme Court appeared "deadlocked" over President Barack Obama's plan to provide work permits to millions of immigrants who are in the country illegally, multiple outlets reported.

The apparent split could mean a defeat for the president on the issue. A 4-4 vote would leave in place the decision of the lower court in the case, United States v. Texas. That decision blocked the implementation of the actions, which would shield millions of people from deportation.
View Quote

A tie in an blatantly easy open and shut defeat tells me we have 4 justices that have no business sitting on the bench and it is a good thing they are blocking Obama's nominee for now anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Good. Fuck the president.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
While it could set a dangerous precedent that could be used against us, like the "nuclear option" against filibusters in the Senate, the idea came to me to, if the Republicans win the Presidency and keep the Senate and House, reduce the size of the Supreme Court to seven, using a last-in, first out policy, and replace Scalia with a good conservative judge.  Then have it be expanded within a year under the law back to 9 members, and appoint two more conservatives.  Kind of a reverse version of FDR's court-packing scheme.  Constitutional, but potentially dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I read it's all up to Roberts.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While it could set a dangerous precedent that could be used against us, like the "nuclear option" against filibusters in the Senate, the idea came to me to, if the Republicans win the Presidency and keep the Senate and House, reduce the size of the Supreme Court to seven, using a last-in, first out policy, and replace Scalia with a good conservative judge.  Then have it be expanded within a year under the law back to 9 members, and appoint two more conservatives.  Kind of a reverse version of FDR's court-packing scheme.  Constitutional, but potentially dangerous.
View Quote

Hmmm..........................
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope I live that long.

Most Republicans would not support such a move.  They are part of the problem.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

So we're basically fucked then.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Just think what it's going to be like when Hillary appoints two or three justices.

All because 40% of the Republican party were duped by a con man.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just think what it's going to be like when Hillary appoints two or three justices.

View Quote

More like...35%
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

It;s been said here before.  "A run on 4" PVC pipe with end caps at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's time to bury them....It's time to dig 'em up already.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Supreme Court seems 'deadlocked' over one of Obama's signature actions, and it could mean a big defeat

The Supreme Court appeared "deadlocked" over President Barack Obama's plan to provide work permits to millions of immigrants who are in the country illegally, multiple outlets reported.

The apparent split could mean a defeat for the president on the issue. A 4-4 vote would leave in place the decision of the lower court in the case, United States v. Texas. That decision blocked the implementation of the actions, which would shield millions of people from deportation.
View Quote

A tie in an blatantly easy open and shut defeat tells me we have 4 justices that have no business sitting on the bench and it is a good thing they are blocking Obama's nominee for now anyway.
View Quote

Yup.

The job of the Supreme Court is to determine whether or not a law is withing the scope of the Constitution.   It is not to effectuate change by making an end-run around the legislative branch.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yup.

The job of the Supreme Court is to determine whether or not a law is withing the scope of the Constitution.   It is not to effectuate change by making an end-run around the legislative branch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Im sure that cocksucker Roberts will use this as an opportunity to show the courts unity and devotion to government.

Government is never wrong and Roberts will tailor a decision to make it so.

The appearance of the court is much more important than the hundreds of billions of dollars stolen from citizens to give to the preferred class
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, exactly.  Regardless of these justices opinions on allowing illegal immigrants to stay in this country, they need to be able to put aside their liberal ideology and rule on whether or not the Executive branch can simply refuse to stop enforcing the law whenever they don't like it.  

It would be no different if President Cruz decided to abolish income tax and the IRS via executive action.  Or the NFA, GCA & BATFE.

Checks & balances--If we don't have them, the Republic is dead.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pretty much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Again?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You only bury some of them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I wish Obongo would tell the IRS to stop collecting my taxes.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

We do.  They ignore the law, and the constitution, and just vote on how they think things should be run.  That's not just rhetoric - they blatantly ignore the law and the constitution.  It's unbelievable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its all about the content of the speeches.  Someone will be along shortly to explain how he will win it all.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Scotus is a joke.  A continual 4-4 or 4-5 split means these judges aren't interpreting the constitution, they're issuing personal biased opinions that have the force of the law.  Only 2-3 of the judges are normally spot on with the constitution.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#21]
the SCOTUS is just as political as congress.

THe idea that the justices care about legalities is a fiction that is fucking dead, Roberts, fuck be upon him, tried to save it with his obamacare bullshit.

liberals never compromise and never reciprocate.  

might as well disband the federal courts system.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

THey weren't duped.

the republican party fucked itself.

the only people being duped are the idiots who think the republican party represents anything but the US Chamber of Commerce.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chat up the people at Midas for some scrap disc rotors to bury as decoys.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Scotus is a joke.  A continual 4-4 or 4-5 split means these judges aren't interpreting the constitution, they're issuing personal biased opinions that have the force of the law.  Only 2-3 of the judges are normally spot on with the constitution.
View Quote

Exactly... This stuff should be pretty cut and dry: is it Constitutional? Doesn't matter what the rest of the f'd up world is doing or what seems fashionable
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

He'll vote his religion....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

He'll fold like a bad card table.  He already let the American people down.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#28]
What's the big fucking deal?

These burka clad Somali women, adult male combat veterans from Syria who self identify as women and children, and all the road weary Honduran Dreamer Babies that braved the federal government chartered, non stop cargo flights direct to the full service taxpayer subsidized 3 star hotels they have been staying at for years that were dubbed "Death Trains" in the leftist controlled media are your brothers and sisters.

They are as American as you and me as you will soon be legally bound to recognize once they are housed at your expense in your current - but malleable - "free" state. They will be a boon to your child's school, and future!

There is nothing negative or insidious about this. It should be celebrated - as we celebrate all things that are not based upon European hegemony, white privilege, western imperialist ethics, common law protections or capitalism.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who are the other 60% voting for?

40% are voting for him because the GOPe is a fucking joke. Put the blame where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't we all read a few years ago that Roberts deeply held convictions would result in him upholding Obamacare which, in itself, would actually be a genius legal maneuver that would ultimately necessitate the complete and utter dismantling of The Commerce Clause all the way back to Heart Of Atlanta Motel vs. U.S.?

Is that not how it played out?

We won that one, right?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Didn't we all read a few years ago that Roberts deeply held convictions would result in him upholding Obamacare which, in itself, would actually be a genius legal maneuver that would ultimately necessitate the complete and utter dismantling of The Commerce Clause all the way back to Heart Of Atlanta Motel vs. U.S.?

We won that one, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We won that one, right?

Maybe you missed the part where his vote was the one needed to pass it
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#32]
it's a tax
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can't remove a Supreme Court Justice that way - even if the size of the Supreme Court is reduced legislatively, under the Constitution, you can only remove a Justice by impeachment, so the Court would only slowly decrease as Justices retire or die in office, and no new ones could be appointed until those reductions result in a vacancy.  The Constitution only allows for the involuntary removal of a Justice of the Supreme Court through Impeachment, regardless of other considerations.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cruz hasn't fooled me for a minute.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Meh. If I were Emperor, I'd Roosevelt the court and Octavian my enemies.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're exactly right.  Trump has fooled you.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, absolute partisan commie hacks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I initially misread the thread title with "dreadlocked"...weird.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I might laugh if I understood your point.
View All Quotes

Compare Cruz and trumps 2A platforms and history.

Tell me who is better on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I genuinely agree with you. If the majority of your decisions are falling upon ideological boundaries, then maybe you're just playing the party lines and not actually doing your job.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

THe idea that the justices care about legalities is a fiction that is fucking dead, Roberts, fuck be upon him, tried to save it with his obamacare bullshit.

View Quote

True. Imagine the legacy Roberts could have made for himself too. The man that killed obamacare and now the potential to kill off executive amnesty? He could have been the next Scalia, Then he got stupid.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

All because 40% of the Republican party were duped by a con man the Republican's are limp dick RINOs who, when given majorities, suck Democrat cock and foist cock-cobbler candidates whose only differentiation from their opponent is the R after their name.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

THey weren't duped.

the only people being duped are the idiots who think the republican party represents anything but the US Chamber of Commerce
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THey weren't duped.

the only people being duped are the idiots who think the republican party represents anything but the US Chamber of Commerce

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All because 40% of the Republican party were duped by a con man the Republican's are limp dick RINOs who, when given majorities, suck Democrat cock and foist cock-cobbler candidates whose only differentiation from their opponent is the R after their name.

Except you had real conservatives to vote for this time.  Walker.  Cruz.  Even Paul.  

Instead, you went for the shiny bauble of the Reality TV host/WWE personality who is a left wing populist that has never shown any concern for this country till about 9 months ago.

You have been suckered.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

True. Imagine the legacy Roberts could have made for himself too. The man that killed obamacare and now the potential to kill off executive amnesty? He could have been the next Scalia, Then he got stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If by that you mean Valerie Jarret would have had him smothered in his sleep with a pillow, you might be right...

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I miss Antonin
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If by that you mean Valerie Jarret would have had him smothered in his sleep with a pillow, you might be right...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top