Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/16/2016 7:37:09 PM EDT
1: I'll be using my own bank which is 2%
2: I don't care about monthly payments whats the out the door cost?
3: I'm looking at several other dealers for the same model car and am looking for the best price.

Went into about 4 dealers today said my normal above routine got the cold we don't want your business you're too informed attitude every time. Guess if they don't feel they can make 5k off you they don't care.

And another thing, since when is the window sticker the final price minus a few hundred what happend to haggling price?

Asked several dealers today is that the best you can do and they all didn't even want to talk price it was window sticker or nothing. They all let me walk. Oh well the hunt continues.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The Lambo dealership never complains when I bring in a briefcase of cash.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
What brand are you looking at? Some cars will sell themselves and the dealer doesn't have to negotiate off of sticker.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Use the internet/fleet manager. work out details by email.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You know you don't have to walk into dealers anymore, right?

You can view online inventory & send an offer without ever leaving your desk...
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What brand are you looking at? Some cars will sell themselves and the dealer doesn't have to negotiate off of sticker.
View Quote

Subaru Outback.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a good friend of mine that worked for a dealership as an IT guy.  

#1 is true, they make more off financing than the car sometimes.

#4 Never trust anyone at a dealership, even if you work there.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

That's likely your problem. Subaru isn't having much difficulty selling their cars right now. That means that they're not too worried about losing you as a buyer, because someone else will pay full price for the car.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Is that the 2% witch? Damn, she hot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought my truck from a dealer so big the owner was the saleman and he had one car on the showroom floor and about 20 trucks on the lot. I said give me your best price and write it down. Walked into the office and came up with a number and used his adding machine to print out a tape with tax, title, license etc...Walked next door to the bank to get a check. Whole thing took 10 minutes. He drove my other truck home and I drove the new one, the mechanic picked him up. Price was much better than anything else I got a price on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
These are always good threads.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#12]
witch? is that west virginia yours're speaking?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Moran, you showed your hand.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's because you always get a salesman in here trying to argue that dealerships don't really have much room to move anymore. Same old song and dance they tried to sell me up until I walked out the door. Well come back, we'll look at the numbers again. No, you should have looked harder the first time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Subaru Outback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Subaru Outback.
Oh MY!

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

Please tell me you're a lesbian.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

For my wife. She is a home health PTand needs it for the real bad back roads she travels.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

Already did.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always thought you were supposed to use their in house financing to get the best possible deal and then promptly either pay it off (cash / your bank loan)?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

How so? I cut out all the bs lawyer talk and get right to the point. Main problem I am having is all the dealers wanting to charge me what's on the window.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#23]
3: I'm looking at several other dealers for the same model car and am looking for the best price.
View Quote

A couple weeks ago I pitted two dealerships, they didn't mind. The one knocked 13k off of the sticker right away and the other was 8k.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I've heard this is one of the worst times to buy cars...perhaps a car dealer can step in and confirm. A lot of people are getting their tax refund back now and have a few thousand in their pocket and are eager to get a new toy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

Lol... I got my WRX for under invoice and didn't even have to haggle a bit.

Knowing people is great sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#27]
1)  No, I don't have a trade-in.
2)  No, I'm not going to finance this.
3)  What is your price on this vehicle?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Get the deal, then lay down how you are going to pay. Play dumb/ambiguous until you get the deal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I always thought you were supposed to use their in house financing to get the best possible deal and then promptly either pay it off (cash / your bank loan)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to read the fine print to see if there's a "penalty" for paying it off early.
And they probably also tacked on a "loan acquisition fee" so they're already getting you up front.  

A bank loan probably isn't going to give you a better rate than a new car dealer, so you'd be paying it off with cash.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's likely your problem. Subaru isn't having much difficulty selling their cars right now. That means that they're not too worried about losing you as a buyer, because someone else will pay full price for the car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

So much so, Subaru is booting TOYOTA out of the Lafayette plant.(Camry).
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How so? I cut out all the bs lawyer talk and get right to the point. Main problem I am having is all the dealers wanting to charge me what's on the window.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negotiate for price letting them assume you're going to finance. Then do the same at another dealer. go to the higher price one and ask them to beat the lower price. Get your lower price then tell how you're buying.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

When was Camry at the Lafayette plant? Last I was there in 2009, it was all Subaru.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I've not bought a lot, but the last one might have been the easiest. My bank is so prevalent in the area, most dealerships are now set up to originate the loan. They asked, I told them what bank I was using. Bam. Only bad thing is that the dealership screwed up the rate. Got a call from the bank a week later, rate decreased by 1%.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Lambo dealership never complains when I bring in a briefcase of cash.
View Quote

FPNI. DMX, is that you?

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep tag

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

GD has convinced me you must be a lesbo then.....

pics????
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've heard this is one of the worst times to buy cars...perhaps a car dealer can step in and confirm. A lot of people are getting their tax refund back now and have a few thousand in their pocket and are eager to get a new toy.
View Quote

Not sure how it is at actual dealerships, but the "Buy here, Pay here" lots are usually killing it this time of year.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You need to read the fine print to see if there's a "penalty" for paying it off early.
And they probably also tacked on a "loan acquisition fee" so they're already getting you up front.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check very carefully and make sure that your lender does not use the "Rule of 78". Loans using the rule of 78 have the interest front-loaded. If you keep your car for 3 years and trade it in, you still have a whopping big balance left, because your car payments have been paying mostly interest......and under the terms of the loan, interest once paid is non-refundable.

The other thing that dealers in this area do is tack on a "processing fee" of $795.00, which is nothing more than an additional dealer mark-up. And they absolutely will not back off on it. Car salesmen hate it, but there is nothing they can do. And they don't get a commission on it, either. Just another way that the dealers screw the public.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just answered your own question.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

you got bad looks because you aren't a lesbian
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I spent a lot of years as GM of dealerships and know a guy who owns a Subaru deslership well.  There isn't that much markup, and they sell. There isn't 5 grand of profit at sticker price. I think it may be a 2-3 thousand dollar deal. They would only discount $500 for repeat customers and family members. They sell them like crazy, take care of you if you have any issues, and aren't making a killing. The guy I know who owns the dealership has already shown customers his profit minus a few hundred you don't see on the back end and bonus money if they sold enough units.  Most people would buy from them for the honesty then. And repeat customer after repeat customer, shows they must feel that they are paying a fair price.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Good luck, Subaru dealers aren't really known for budging off of msrp.
I wasted two days to get a grand knocked off mine.

Had I not needed the car for work I would have walked away and bought something else entirely.

I'm to cheap to buy the car I really wanted so no sti for me.

FYI the dealer I bought from wouldn't even budge on the used subarus.

They had a used wrx with 17k miles on for 1k less than new.

I had offered 25k for it and they told me to have a nice day.

They ended up selling it for 27,800 plus ttl,about a month later.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

I can confirm that. When we where buying our Forester they balked at my offer, and told me flat out they will sell the car at sticker, if not to me then to someone else. I ended up at another dealer where they were more willing to haggle.

Also while we were at the first dealer a perfectly stereotypical flannel wearing lesbian couple showed up to car shop. It was awesome.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Subaru Outback.

If they're a volume dealer, they'll sell you the car at a discount AND another car to the idiot who wants to buy at full price.  OP, visit another dealer.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Best way to get any discount is to email. Email your 4 nearest dealers and make sure they know you are doing it.  At the end of the month whoever is closest to a bonus tear will sell you a discounted car.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
2: I don't care about monthly payments whats the out the door cost?

Went into about 4 dealers today said my normal above routine got the cold we don't want your business you're too informed attitude every time. Guess if they don't feel they can make 5k off you they don't care.

And another thing, since when is the window sticker the final price minus a few hundred what happend to haggling price?

Asked several dealers today is that the best you can do and they all didn't even want to talk price it was window sticker or nothing. They all let me walk. Oh well the hunt continues.
View Quote

Yep...I've gotten a couple of used cars in the past 6 months.  I don't even leave my house until I've  

a) found what I want
b) made an offer (pending decent test drive/condition of car)

via email.  Those that didn't want to deal over the computer, I informed that I won't be coming to their lot.  I found two salespeople that would deal via computer and guess what?  They got my business.
I didn't waste an inordinate amount of time driving around, bullshitting professional bullshitters, and dealing with typical sales tricks.

I was happy...they were somewhat happy, and I'm sure they made a few dollars and I saved a fuckload of time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Frankly, you should be able to buy the vehicle straight from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Frankly, you should be able to buy the vehicle straight from the manufacturer.
View Quote

as long as you take it back to them for warranty I don't see a problem
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Purchase from Heuberger Subaru and have the car shipped to your door. They specialize in selling and shipping Subaru's at deep discounts. Your price will be below dealer invoice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top