Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2016 4:47:28 PM EDT
Last week I went to the parts store and bought :Upper and lower control arms, shocks, pitman arm and idler arm. When I tried to install the idler arm the damn thing would not budge
I chucked it up in the vise and leaned on it with 200 pounds. I ended up taking it back and they exchanged it. That one went on fine. When I was finished with everything the steering wheel was almost

180 degrees from straight and could not be corrected on the alignment machine. My buddy and his boss messed with it for an hour before they decided to order a new part. There was not much visible

difference in the two parts but the new Moog part stabbed right on and they were able to get it aligned and the wheel straight. Would you ask the parts store to make up the difference in the parts ($71)

and the labor ($60) for a total of $130?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Parts, probably, labor would likely be on the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Parts?  Yes

Labor?  No. It was your choice to pay for labor so I can't see how you could justify charging the parts store for it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I would return the defective part.  The labor I would think is on you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you use SNAPON or CRAFTSMAN tools?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe his hands were to small to get the part in correctly...
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait.  Are you asking if the parts store should pay the difference between the moog part and the part you bought from them?  Or just refund the money for the part you got from them?

If you are asking for the difference,  no way.  If just a refund for the part, yes.  You chose to buy a better part.  They shouldn't pay for that.  Also, they should not pay for your labor.   That's crazy.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
lol so you took out a part replaced, it with the wrong one. now you want a refund cause you didn't check to make sure they matched before you installed it? you screwed the pooch not them. you always make sure the parts are the same before you install, usually thats the first line of the return policy (only uninstalled parts).
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, I would return the defective part.  The labor I would think is on you.
View Quote

most likely
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]
How did you order the part, did you give the parts guy make/model and any extra info they needed, and did you give it accurately?  If so, then I'd return the part.

On the other hand, if you went in with a part number in hand and it turned out to be the wrong part, I'd say that's on you.

And the labor is always on you when you bring your own parts.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the first Pitman Arm was DEFECTIVE. It was on the lift in the middle of being aligned. I could not say "Hey guys let me take it home and dick with it in the driveway in the rain and then come back and let you start over". I talked to the district manager yesterday and dropped the part off at the store today. The first idler arm from the same company was seized so it would not be unbelievable that the Pitman was also bad. I bought the cheaper parts because it is a fourteen year old truck but the cheap part should at least fit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Parts?  Yes

Labor?  No. It was your choice to pay for labor so I can't see how you could justify charging the parts store for it.
View Quote

THis
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#13]
So I should have had them reconnect it, pay for that alignment, drive it home, work on it myself and then take it back for another alignment?

Okay I can respect that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Am I reading this right OP - you want the parts store to pay you the difference between the generic part you bought and the Moog part you ended up going with?

That's not how it works.  Just return the part that didn't work and be happy that purchasing a more expensive (lifetime guarantee) Moog part worked for you.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I should have had them reconnect it, pay for that alignment, drive it home, work on it myself and then take it back for another alignment?

Okay I can respect that.
View Quote

This isnt rocket science.

You are entitled to a refund of the price you paid for the part, the original part. Period.

Clueless customers are why service managers drink and beat their family. Same with parts guys.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Last week I went to the parts store and bought :Upper and lower control arms, shocks, pitman arm and idler arm. When I tried to install the idler arm the damn thing would not budge
I chucked it up in the vise and leaned on it with 200 pounds. I ended up taking it back and they exchanged it. That one went on fine. When I was finished with everything the steering wheel was almost

180 degrees from straight and could not be corrected on the alignment machine. My buddy and his boss messed with it for an hour before they decided to order a new part. There was not much visible

difference in the two parts but the new Moog part stabbed right on and they were able to get it aligned and the wheel straight. Would you ask the parts store to make up the difference in the parts ($71)

and the labor ($60) for a total of $130?

Thanks for your input.
View Quote

I only buy quality parts specifically because I only want to fuck with something once
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#17]
They took care of it!
Top Top