Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 9:15:32 AM EDT
Well are you? Are you one of those guys that has to have the greenest grass and dainty flowers in your perfectly manicured flower bed around your perfectly trimmed tree? Are you one of those guys that must win the neighborhood "lawn of the year" award with your perfectly cut stones placed very carefully around the yard as if to say "LOOK AT ME AND MY WONDER YARD"? Do you have so many outdoor lights on your sidewalk and driveway that an f16 might mistakenly land at your house? If you are....well then you are a fudge donkey!! [:P] [;D] [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]
NO! I hate yard work. Pave it and paint it green already.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#2]
i finish cut 3 acres and brush hog 12. as long as i can keep up with it, i could care less about weeds, dandelions or bare spots.

but i still own 4 weed wackers, 11 john deere garden tractors, a big 53 hp allis-chalmers and my old lawn boy!! lol!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#3]
So just because I stripe my grass like the outfield at the ballpark, I'm nuts...

Maybe  [%|]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]Pave it and paint it green already.[/b]

better still, pave it, stripe it and hold races on it!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I guess I'm a fudge donkey!!

I do the grass, shrubs, and trees, and the wife does the flowers.

We could care less about "lawn of the year", and we are not out to impress the neighbors.  We find the work rewarding and the results create a very relaxing atmosphere to enjoy.

Not to mention the added curb appeal and resale value of a well maintained landscape.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#6]

No. I keep it cut and I put some weed and feed on the front, but that's about it.
  Looks ok until the summer burn out gets here. I'm not watering 3 acres of grass from my well.

I don't have any outdoor lights. I use night vision instead  [BD]

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I constantly have folks telling me that I have the nicest yard in the neighborhood!

I guess I'm one of those 'Yard Freaks', then.

My yard is organically fertilized and maintained.

The plants are all native Texas plants, which means that watering, insect control, etc., is all pretty much as God intended for this area!

Never let it be said that the [b]Hun[/b] tried to outdo the Almighty!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1307[/img]

Eric The(DoctorOfDirt'sDisciple)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one push mower for the house we live in. For our other house (1 acre only), I have 5 dead riding mowers, 2 running riding mowers, and 4 push mowers. I hate mowing. I hate yard work. I keep it neat enough to stay under the YARD NAZI radar.

Damn it Cerebus....dont climb on me for "Yard Nazi" either. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, I guess I'm a fudge donkey!!

I do the grass, shrubs, and trees, and the wife does the flowers.

We could care less about "lawn of the year", and we are not out to impress the neighbors.  We find the work rewarding and the results create a very relaxing atmosphere to enjoy.

Not to mention the added curb appeal and resale value of a well maintained landscape.
View Quote

Maintenance and resale value is one thing...but
some of the people in my hood are competing with each other for a stupid "yard of the week sign". I am not kidding, I bet they spend more on fancy decorations and crazy expensive shrubbery than my friggin car is worth. I don't think you fit into the fudge donkey catergory DP [:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]
[b]I have 5 dead riding mowers, 2 running riding mowers, and 4 push mowers.[/b]

i dunno why...but, i like ya!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#11]

I'm trying but I still need some help with my lawn.  I don't have to have the best but lawn on the street but I like a nice green looking lawn. [:D]

See the little lump in front by the mail box, the damn mail man keeps running over part of the lawn!

[img]http://a5.cpimg.com/image/03/E7/10196995-926d-02000180-.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
NO! I hate yard work. Pave it and paint it green already.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the other things that grow in my lawn and will mow around them.

I have a little bunches of yellow, purple flowers/weeds that grown all over the yard. I will mow most down but I leave a few bunches and mow around them. The wife and neighbor hate it.

The purple one are nice to.

One persons weeds are another persons buzzz. oh wrong thread.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#14]
My yard used to be carpeted, but recently I was ordered (by law) to pull up the carpet and put down sod.....[;D]

I'm not so finicky as to appearance, but more anal about lot lines. My neighbor had been mowing more and more of my yard until I put out flags marking the lot lines. At one point, he was mowing close to a 6' strip at the bottom of my yard 6' x 175' (yard width)=1050 square feet he was trying to "claim" as his. He even went so far as to have his lawn fertilized one day...and he marked out the lot lines as he saw fit to. So now the back of my lot has a 6' dark green strip, and the rest is normal color grass.

He also did it to his other two neighbors.
Apathy? or stupidity...I haven't decided yet.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I like to have a nice manicured yard.

I don't go crazy like some do in the neighborhood.

No special treatments; just seed it in Jan and water a couple times a week keeps it emerald green all year.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#16]
[b]Are you one of those Lawn/Yard freaks?[/b]

No, just your run-of-the-mill gun freak that runs around the yard.

[img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/waffen/violent-smiley-050.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My yard used to be carpeted, but recently I was ordered (by law) to pull up the carpet and put down sod.....[;D]

I'm not so finicky as to appearance, but more anal about lot lines. My neighbor had been mowing more and more of my yard until I put out flags marking the lot lines. At one point, he was mowing close to a 6' strip at the bottom of my yard 6' x 175' (yard width)=1050 square feet he was trying to "claim" as his. He even went so far as to have his lawn fertilized one day...and he marked out the lot lines as he saw fit to. So now the back of my lot has a 6' dark green strip, and the rest is normal color grass.

View Quote

Thread hijack...

Be weary of this.  My Aunt had a bordering neighbor take 6' of her property because she took care of it for X number of years.  My Aunt never knew exactly where the property line was and had no idea what was going on until the surveryors were onsite.  After much laywer-work and court time, she lost the property...

/Thread hijack
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Thread hijack...

Be weary of this.  My Aunt had a bordering neighbor take 6' of her property because she took care of it for X number of years.  My Aunt never knew exactly where the property line was and had no idea what was going on until the surveryors were onsite.  After much laywer-work and court time, she lost the property...

/Thread hijack
View Quote

Yeah, that's why I wanted the lot stakes marked.
I had told him twice that he was mowing my yard...and he ignored me.
I told my wife I should figure out what percentage of my yard he was doing this to, and send him a bill based on the same percentage of my property tax.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes...step on the grass at your peril.

Beware of claymores, razor wire and well set up fields of fire.  [;D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Here at the 'Sandspur Ranch' if it's [green]green[/green] I mow it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#21]

I just try to keep it clean and cut. A few bare spots and couple clumps of crabgrass don't bother me. I just don't let things get overgrown and cluttered.

S-I
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I have always hated lawn work, since time immemorial when I was forced as a young boy to mow the lawn.  

I do the bare minimum now.

I guess I can understand why some folks get into it, it's their only hobby.  But for myself there are always plenty of gun-related things and projects to spend my precious money and time on.

The yard is about 1,452 on the priority list.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I mow and fertilize (only when needed) 6 acres around the house and bush hog 8, the family uses a DR Trimmer to keep things trimmed up, other than that it's on it's own.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Most of the weeds are green. Good enough.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I hate mowing grass, but I do enjoy landscaping for some reason.  I've got a pond and waterfall to do this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I just bought my house last June, so I am anal about my yard.

Grass is green and mowed twice a week, and I am currently working on planting some shrubs and flowers.

I like the look of a well maintained yard. It shows pride in your property.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Not me.
I hate yardwork.

The wife does it all. She loves it.

In fact she verti-cut the lawn and reseeded this year.
Like a carpet in the front...

She is hip. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Grass is green and mowed twice a week, and I am currently working on planting some shrubs and flowers.
View Quote

Twice a week? Moderators, can I have this thread moved to the trash please? Pissing contest! I barely manage to get around it once every 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#29]

My idea of lawn care is fixin' the divots I make at the golf course. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Moderators, can I have this thread moved to the trash please? Pissing contest!
View Quote

Errrr........wtf did I miss here. I am sure this is some sort of insided joke,,,, right?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn fudge donkeys.  

Me and my neighbor set out front of my house and drink a beer and laugh at my other neighbor.  

Don't get me wrong my yard and landscaping look good, no weeds etc, nicely mowed, scrubs, bushes etc. but come on, some people go way over board and have a really beautiful yard with dirty cars  in the drive way.  Spread the love, forget the lawn and wash the damn car for once.

JBritt
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I do the basics with lawn weed and feeds, plant things where my lady points, trim bushes and trees on a regular basis resulting in an o.k. lawn/landscape.
Don't see much sense in having the best lawn on the block, seems like a hobby for the anal-retentives, and for people who do not have a life.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#33]
This is a small portion of my yard. The dead spots are where my dog pisses. I try to encourage her to piss behind the house but she loves to go in the grass.
I pay a company to seed and weed but I mow it.
Damn grass grows faster than I can keep up with it sometimes.
[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/houseflowers.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#34]
hmmmm...tough question. We have about one acre to take care of, all grass. The wife has tons of flowerbeds, shrubs, flowering trees etc. which she takes care of. I cut the grass once a week, edge and trim, and use the leaf blower to clean the drive and front walks. I just had my yard aerated, and chemlawn did the first of five treatments last week. The back yard is recovering slowly from last years draught. The entire back yard is fenced in. trimming around the fence with the weedwacker takes forever. If I wanted the grass to look really nice, I should cut it twice a week. But, I have too many other hobbies when the weather is nice....
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Not by choice, my Home Owners Association will leave a nasty note on the door if they deem your yard is not up to standards.

Just got a note the other day saying to trim the hedges and pull the weeds out of the flower bed.  Honestly, it wasn't that bad off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#36]
The last thing in the world I care about when I get home is my lawn/yard since I grow state of the art turf on 150 acres for a high end private golf club.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Twice a week? Moderators, can I have this thread moved to the trash please? Pissing contest! I barely manage to get around it once every 3 weeks.
View Quote

[LOL]

I wash and wax my truck every week too!

Av.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Hell no!  I hate the shit!  I think every minute you can keep from working on the yard is a gained minute.  I cut my grass once a week and hate every minute.(I do like how it looks right after it's cut though)
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#39]
One of my neighbors is a total yard nazi. We have 7 houses on 18 acres in my neighborhood, and one neighbor has 8 acres, I have 3, so the other 5 split 7 acres.

I'm not anal about the yard; I take the tractor out every 7-10 days and mow it neatly.

My insane neighbor, however, is offended by my home mowing, and every couple weeks leaves me an anonymous note "suggesting" I use her lawn service to mow my lawn to match the pattern of the other lawns in my neighborhood (the house with 8 acres only has a small section of the horse pasture visible from the stret; the horses keep it cropped).

For some reason the notes never offer to pay the $300/month the lawn service wants to mow my grass.

When the notes piss me off enough, I go out and mow my lawn in concentric circles, just to annoy the insane neighbor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Plants and I don't get along.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:19:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top