Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 8:50:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The general consensus of this site is that Wranglers are capable and cool, but otherwise quite a POS.  However, thus far, people like their liberties, although not much time has elapsed.

My only thought is to carefully consider your compromise.  How much off road driving do you do?  And how hard core is it?  

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
thems apples and oranges you are comparing.
You looking for a SUV or a capable off-road vehicle?  Therein lies the answer to your question.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Overpriced, IMHO. I have a CJ-5, 1975. Wranglers are (basically) the same thing, with a padded dash, carpet, and a nice radio. If you want an off-roading vehicle, get a used one.

If you want a daily driver, OK, get one.

My knees don't fit in the liberty.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#4]
If the vehicle's primary mission will be offroad, and you are really going to go rock crawling a lot and expect to commonly find yourself in the most severe of offroad situations, get the Wrangler.

If the street is a big part of the vehicle's mission, and offroading is secondary, get the Liberty. some of the guys on the Libery forum on jeepsunlimited take their Liberties into some pretty hairy places, so I don't think the capability is a lot less than the Wrangler, but you get better gas mileage and a more comfortable on-road ride as a trade-off for a little off-road prowess.

edited to add: I own a Libery and love it, but I never attempt any hardcore offroading, just easy stuff.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
As soon as I sell my truck I am going out to buy a Wrangler, but it is going to be a fun thing, not daily transportation. I am liking the Sahara, the Rubicon looks like it may be geared to low end for daily driving, and I fear the lockers may mean mechanical problems down the road as they are air acuatiated.I think the duel top option will be nice for a fun vehicle. Invoice is around 21,000 for a new one but the 04's are out or coming out so that allows for a little lee way, remember you got a 500.00 vet rebate coming from Jeep, but don't expect the dealer to advertise it , check out the Jeep web page. Good luck
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the Wrangler, but not the Rubicon. Get a mechanical locker for the front axle and wheel 'til it breaks, then replace the axle(s) with a ford 8.8.

Offroad vehicles aren't bought, they're built.

FWIW, I've done some serious wheeling with the 35/30 setup w/o breakage.

Oh, and if you're interested in the Liberty, you might as well go out and get a RAV-4 and put a rainbow sticker on the back.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh, and if you're interested in the Liberty, you might as well go out and get a RAV-4 and put a rainbow sticker on the back.
View Quote

Dude, Decaf....!

There's nothing wrong with a RAV4, it's just built for a different purpose.  You won't see it on the trail with you, but how may rebuilds will you have done at 200,000 while it's still moving along.

I just bought a '94 GMC, and guess what, it's two tone Teal/Grey.  I've been taking some friendly ribbing, but some guys are dead serious that only a homo would drive such a colored truck.  Gimmie a break!  True, I'd rather have a different scheme, but this was the best of the ones I saw, so color became immaterial.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a suggestion...get a Chevy instead.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Worked as a quick-service tech at a jeep dealership for awhile....you could buy a sport and trick it out, but it would probably cost you more than 4k and it would void your warranty...with the rubicon, all mods are factory warranteed. That being said, everybody knows about the chrysler quality control issues...you either get a great one, or you get a POS. Almost bought a rubicon...got a Tacoma TRD 4x4 instead. That rubicon is a pain in the ass to drive daily. You have to really want the rubicon package, and be able to make the compromise...

The liberty, on the other hand, is a great buy. Excellent powertrain, handles great, and is very capable off-road, as well. I had one for several months as a demo, and while the styling is a bit funky, it really won me over.

If you get the liberty, get the Renegade package...IIRC, it's still cheaper than the Rubicon, and alot more useful.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the Ruby is a bad MF, but it's alot of money for a specialty jeep that rides like ass...Bottom line, [as someone else already said], what do you really need?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, Decaf....!

There's nothing wrong with a RAV4, it's just built for a different purpose.  You won't see it on the trail with you, but how may rebuilds will you have done at 200,000 while it's still moving along.

I just bought a '94 GMC, and guess what, it's two tone Teal/Grey.  I've been taking some friendly ribbing, but some guys are dead serious that only a homo would drive such a colored truck.  Gimmie a break!  True, I'd rather have a different scheme, but this was the best of the ones I saw, so color became immaterial.
View Quote

So you're saying you traded in your RAV-4 for the GMC?
[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I can see how you could be confused:

[img]http://www.rocky-road.com/media/kj1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Worked as a quick-service tech at a jeep dealership for awhile....you could buy a sport and trick it out, but it would probably cost you more than 4k and it would void your warranty...with the rubicon, all mods are factory warranteed. That being said, everybody knows about the chrysler quality control issues...you either get a great one, or you get a POS. Almost bought a rubicon...got a Tacoma TRD 4x4 instead. That rubicon is a pain in the ass to drive daily. You have to really want the rubicon package, and be able to make the compromise...

The liberty, on the other hand, is a great buy. Excellent powertrain, handles great, and is very capable off-road, as well. I had one for several months as a demo, and while the styling is a bit funky, it really won me over.

If you get the liberty, get the Renegade package...IIRC, it's still cheaper than the Rubicon, and alot more useful.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the Ruby is a bad MF, but it's alot of money for a specialty jeep that rides like ass...Bottom line, [as someone else already said], what do you really need?
View Quote

Yes the Rubi has the factory warranty on those HD parts, but read the fine print...won't cover most types of off-road breakage. Also, making mods won't void your warranty - of course they won't warrant the parts you install, but the other stuff is still covered unless the breakage is a result of your mod. (ie you install stronger U-joints and break an axle or drive shaft as a result)

Go here: [url]http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/[/url]

It's the AR15.com of jeeps
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I can see how you could be confused:

[url]http://www.rocky-road.com/media/kj1.jpg[/url]
View Quote

HAHA! thats a cute picture!

but wheres the rainbow sticker?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I have driven a 2001 blazer and 94 and 95 expolorer and a few jeeps I cant rember the years.  I have never felt comfortable in any of them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#15]
To answer the [i]original question[/i], get the Liberty. I did and am glad I did. I didnt see you say you are going rock crawling, anything else the Liberty is capable of. Add the great on road handling for a daily driver. I love my Libby, wouldnt trade it for the world, but will love it more when I get done adding a few more things.

You also better stop and check to make sure you have a thick skin. The above references to a fag car are the norm from the Wrangler girls. For one reason or the other, you see photo proof of the Lib going everywhere they go, but they still have bad things to say about something they know nothing of. I think its their latent homosexuality manifested in jealousy.

And Mugzilla, Im 6'5" & have plenty of knee room. How damn tall are you????

[img]http://home.attbi.com/~molaligne/blkkjonside.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
the Wrangler girls
View Quote

[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Chrysler = CRAP.
Jeep = CHEAP POS
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Chrysler = CRAP.
Jeep = CHEAP POS
View Quote
I see your from TX, you must be one of those guys who has oil wells on your land, 25,000 is not cheap by no means, and no way would I bash a LandRover 50,000+ with options on a trail.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Chrysler = CRAP.
Jeep = CHEAP POS
View Quote

Again, the thread was "[b]Jeep Owners[/b]" followed by a question...He didnt ask for trolling...

Would you be one of them? If so and you thnk that, why havent you sold it?

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To answer the [i]original question[/i], get the Liberty. I did and am glad I did. I didnt see you say you are going rock crawling, anything else the Liberty is capable of. Add the great on road handling for a daily driver. I love my Libby, wouldnt trade it for the world, but will love it more when I get done adding a few more things.

You also better stop and check to make sure you have a thick skin. The above references to a fag car are the norm from the Wrangler girls. For one reason or the other, you see photo proof of the Lib going everywhere they go, but they still have bad things to say about something they know nothing of. I think its their latent homosexuality manifested in jealousy.

And Mugzilla, Im 6'5" & have plenty of knee room. How damn tall are you????

[url]http://home.attbi.com/~molaligne/blkkjonside.jpg[/url]
View Quote

CavVet, cause of that pic I am going to take back what I said about the Liberty. It is NOT the "bastard child of the Cherokee".

My only experience offroading went very badly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Well Im gonna reply and say that my 95 Wrangler is still in top shape running like a champ. Not any problems at all.
Im not sure where all these problems come from but Ive those around me with Jeeps and not have any problems with them.
Personally I wouldnt mind having the Rubicon just for the damn axles. Aside form that I have other thoughts on what I want for my Jeep. Plus the new interior is too small for my frame 6'7" 260.

heres a pic [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid43/p3fbd1e3f8bc3d30f1add160bdade8f75/fce9a19b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p7cac7fc7c21e31c3cafd9147ff275901/fc926a98.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#23]
The Rubicon is a bargin at that price. Just add up the cost of parts. Lockers front and rear $1200, dana 44 $800, 4-1 T case $2000, skid plates $300, drive shafts $400. So if you were to do the work yourself you would spend $4700 in parts and still have to do the work.

The 4 wheel drive club hold a how to clinc twice a year so I get to see a lot of new vehicles off road. Nothing under $40,000 comes close to the Wrangler off road.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#25]
What a coincidence! I'm looking at Wranglers too. To those who think they are a POS, why? name some problems with them. I like the things but I wanna know about any pitfalls before I buy.

BTW, I'm not looking for a new one, I'm in the 10k & below range (Hopefully 6.5 - 7k), reliability is very important.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd buy the Rubicon if it were me. Of course building a Jeep is lots of fun and really cheap (yeah, right) but I've seen lots of Rubicons at Turkey Bay, our local OHV area, and they seem pretty capable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#27]
If you're not rock crawling, you have no real need for the 4:1 t-case, which is the big benefit of the Rubi. You're probably not going to need the twin Dana 44s either.

I have a '00 Wrangler sport with a 3" tera lift and discos, the 35/30 axle combo, and 33" BFT MTs, and a pile of other extras. I carry a spare pair of axles when off-road, and never think twice about breakage.

In Florida, the Rubi is WAY overkill. You'll regret spending the extra $$$ unless you drive out of state to offroad.

[img]http://a5.cpimg.com/image/0F/CE/7347215-efc9-02400180-.jpg[/img]

[img]http://a2.cpimg.com/image/16/53/2264342-303c-02000180-.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Before you buy anything check out the Jeep Grand Cherokee "OVERLAND" you will love it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#30]
If you want an SUV get a SUV, otherwise get a used wrangler w/ stick. The wrangler has great geometry and a huge aftermarket.  IMO, the liberty is a marginal SUV w/ weak axles,an average platfrom, and a premium prive.  

FYI, this is a rental trooper driven by a guys gilfriend in mOab. In other words, jeeps aren't the only show in town
http://www.trailseeker.com/4x4/Crawloween/chris-btr/images/MVC-880F.jpg

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:44:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I had a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I wont buy another.

Unless you are doing some serious off roading, there are better choices than the Jeeps.

A Suburu Forester will get you just about anywhere. A Suburu WRX will get you most places, and get you laid.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Naw, go out and get a 1977 Ford Bronco.  Better axles, disc brake conversions are available, drop-in 5.0 EFI engines are everywhere, and you will actually be able to carry something with the extra space in the back.  

MG[;)]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I've had my Jeep ('02 TJ) almost a year.  Use it as a daily driver.  

I don't know why people don't like them.  I love mine.  

It drives like a truck because it is one, not a BMW.

If you don't like the way it rides, it doesn't make it a POS.  That is just people's taste.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Did you get one today ????
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I just paid for my 2003 Liberty Limited, which I'll be picking up when I get back stateside next month.  Bought it through the Overseas Military Car Sales program.

Got all the options except for the towing package and the custom wheel package, $25,812 total.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I personally like my Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 6 cyl Hi torque engine and the selectrac 4wd.  It is roomier than the afore mentioned options and is not really a primary off road vehicle, but it does one hell of a job pulling my boat.  It is comfortable to drive and no ragtop noise.  It has great cargo capacity and for an SUV, gets really good fuel mileage.  I would only trade it in on another newer one.  Mine is a 99.  As to the Liberty, make sure you get that integral off road light system on the roof.  Them things will put out some serious light.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top