Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3113
Posted: 3/27/2016 2:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream]
Yes, I know there is a sub for knives but I see cool shit posted here in GD by people who aren't in the sub then forget what the title of the thread was and then get bored trying to search through every random knife related thread in GD.

This is what I usually carry for long bike rides:

A waved Spyderco Delica and a Kwaiken by Dynamik Blades aka Smithy
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

I’m going to do it in fashion of the first 0393 model where only the blade flat is coated and the grinds are not. I only like bare steel on flashy knives typically.
View Quote

Not as bad but still not a fan of blade coatings in general. Personal preference only. If that's what you like/want, them go for it! And come back to post pics. Even if it's not what I'd want on my own knife, I can still appreciate how it looks/works. And it sounds like it will look pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

He has, verbally. We'll see shortly for sure. He was bitching about my refusing to subpoena/habeas a witness that is in federal custody on meth manufacturing charges to testify for him. Because that guy would be a great witness, right? Three felony burglary/theft counts, plead to one misdemeanor criminal mischief, 30 days, no probation. I had gotten him a deal for no jail with probation but, apparently showing some self awareness, he would rather do some jail than be on probation.

ETA Hearing concluded, all done. Good deal. Now I have to go to the jail to meet a couple new court appointed defendants, then work up a seven figure real estate closing for tomorrow morning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

Hopefully your client understands that and accepts it.

He has, verbally. We'll see shortly for sure. He was bitching about my refusing to subpoena/habeas a witness that is in federal custody on meth manufacturing charges to testify for him. Because that guy would be a great witness, right? Three felony burglary/theft counts, plead to one misdemeanor criminal mischief, 30 days, no probation. I had gotten him a deal for no jail with probation but, apparently showing some self awareness, he would rather do some jail than be on probation.

ETA Hearing concluded, all done. Good deal. Now I have to go to the jail to meet a couple new court appointed defendants, then work up a seven figure real estate closing for tomorrow morning.

That's an amazing deal.
Seriously.
I didnt think deals like that happened outside of St Louis City or Chicago.
Either the case wasnt solid, or you're that good.
Either way, good job Counselor!

A buddy of mine took a criminal case pro bono, (he's a labor attorney) and we talked about it quite a bit.
He was able to work out a good deal for his client, but will his client understand what he's been given and what happens the next time he breaks the law.
Hopefully the kid gets it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WILSON:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvSV5H-NZHw
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3xpert:
Originally Posted By WIC:

Is this supposed to be humor?

Marine humor.

The best humor

Accurate IME.

And....

A good reminder to avoid portholes....
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]

WIC can (will) correct me (harshly) if I'm wrong, but it's a Prometheus Design Works Invictus integral folder with micarta scales. I think they have an acronym for the specific model name, which I can't recall if so. Made in Italy, maybe by Lionsteel? I've seen several of the G10 versions but haven't had a chance to snag the micarta one.

Edit: they've said they won't make them again due to the cost/complexity, or some reason along those lines.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By conndcj:

Pardon my ignorance but what is the info on that blade.  It is really handsome.

WIC can (will) correct me (harshly) if I'm wrong, but it's a Prometheus Design Works Invictus integral folder with micarta scales. I think they have an acronym for the specific model name, which I can't recall if so. Made in Italy, maybe by Lionsteel? I've seen several of the G10 versions but haven't had a chance to snag the micarta one.

Edit: they've said they won't make them again due to the cost/complexity, or some reason along those lines.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]
i'll let you touch it...
View Quote

I got detention once for saying that...
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:00:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#7]

That's an amazing deal.
Seriously.

A buddy of mine took a criminal case pro bono, (he's a labor attorney) and we talked about it quite a bit.
He was able to work out a good deal for his client, but will his client understand what he's been given and what happens the next time he breaks the law.
View Quote

Not the most solid case. My client's position was that he heard someone was planning to steal his buddy's shit, so he went and took it first. (Said buddy being the federal meth guy.) Unfortunately for my guy, the wife called the law on him, there are text messages along the lines of "fuck you guys" and "that motorcycle is hot anyway" (LOL). And, knowingly taking possession of stolen property, unless planning to immediately return it to the rightful owner, is a violation of the same statute as stealing it yourself.

I was honestly surprised the prosecutor was willing to plead it down to a misdemeanor, and a non-theft conviction at that. Though I do believe that I would have been able to do a pretty good cross examination of the wife, which is probably why he was so flexible.

ETA: Honestly I do not enjoy "getting people off" from breaking the law, necessarily, and that is not why I do what I do, but in some cases I don't mind it and I think the defense attorney serves an important purpose in our system. A couple examples:

1. Under Iowa statute, it is burglary to steal *anything* from a vehicle. I had a court-appointed defendant that was drunk or high, and took a Kenny Chesney CD and three bucks from an unlocked car. He was charged with burglary. In my personal opinion, that is asinine.
2. I have won a few motions to suppress evidence (lost a few too, of course) based upon warrantless searches that did not meet an exception to the warrant requirement. These, in particular, are where I believe that the right to an attorney, and to a competent defense, are important. I'll readily admit that the guys I won these for were pieces of shit, but if you aren't willing to hold the state to a standard for them, what's left to protect the rest of us? The double-standard that is more and more apparent for the federal "elite" absolutely sickens me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]

My wife always laughs when I read your calendar's sayings for the day...

Just thought I'd share that.
View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/uyZ96D3.jpg

I resemble that remark...
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Looks good.

Sucks you have to do it twice but it's nice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
In this vein, but really nice thick microfiber for optics - I'm liking these quite a bit.

https://i.imgur.com/6012KWh.jpg
View Quote

So much less boogery?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Looks good, pre mothers day?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:

That finger was slower than the sledgehammer swinging hand. Remodeling a bath for the 2nd time. The first didn't seem to take. Like most of us here, I am comfortable pissing in the yard and showering when needed and what things look like are of little concern to me. But, my wife is a great woman that asks for little, she wants a remodeled guest bathroom with all the fixins and she's getting it...and floors and an extra bathroom in the basement. It's the Spring of bathrooms in my world.
View Quote

Ouch.

That's pretty good for the situation
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

So much less boogery?
View All Quotes
In this vein, but really nice thick microfiber for optics - I'm liking these quite a bit.

So much less boogery?
Yeah, quite the opposite. No contaminants allowed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MrSig239:
Got the pivot screw loosened up and adjusted to perfection. Going to give this a carry for Ti-Tuesday. Hopefully flip it a bunch to get things all seated.
So far it's working pretty smooth with no hotspots felt. It was abrading my flip finger before I tweaked it. Haven't decided if I will take it apart to change out the grease. It is raining today so maybe. Hanging a fob on this is a giant pain in the ass! The hole is covered with the scales so bad that I was only barely able to get a single strand of micro chord in there!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56211/carry5-3-22_JPG-2370606.JPG
View Quote

Love the difference in finishes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MrSig239:
Scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, ham and broccoli with wheat toast!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56211/IMG_1045_JPG-2370675.JPG
View Quote

Like ve dark light dark pattern in this shot
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#16]
https://i.imgur.com/uyZ96D3.jpg
View Quote

Bean fiends
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Hopefully your client understands that and accepts it.
View Quote

Some family member probably will convince him there's a better deal
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

This pleases me.

I am all about bringing at least a fleeting smile to her face in what is I'm sure an otherwise abyss, void of any happiness, being married to you.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By conndcj:

Pardon my ignorance but what is the info on that blade.  It is really handsome.
View Quote

You are pardoned.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

all correct
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

that was pretty funny

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#22]

I got a promotion once for saying that...
View Quote

damn, I should try that

my boss might be game
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Not the most solid case. My client's position was that he heard someone was planning to steal his buddy's shit, so he went and took it first. (Said buddy being the federal meth guy.) Unfortunately for my guy, the wife called the law on him, there are text messages along the lines of "fuck you guys" and "that motorcycle is hot anyway" (LOL). And, knowingly taking possession of stolen property, unless planning to immediately return it to the rightful owner, is a violation of the same statute as stealing it yourself.

I was honestly surprised the prosecutor was willing to plead it down to a misdemeanor, and a non-theft conviction at that. Though I do believe that I would have been able to do a pretty good cross examination of the wife, which is probably why he was so flexible.

ETA: Honestly I do not enjoy "getting people off" from breaking the law, necessarily, and that is not why I do what I do, but in some cases I don't mind it and I think the defense attorney serves an important purpose in our system. A couple examples:

1. Under Iowa statute, it is burglary to steal *anything* from a vehicle. I had a court-appointed defendant that was drunk or high, and took a Kenny Chesney CD and three bucks from an unlocked car. He was charged with burglary. In my personal opinion, that is asinine.
2. I have won a few motions to suppress evidence (lost a few too, of course) based upon warrantless searches that did not meet an exception to the warrant requirement. These, in particular, are where I believe that the right to an attorney, and to a competent defense, are important. I'll readily admit that the guys I won these for were pieces of shit, but if you aren't willing to hold the state to a standard for them, what's left to protect the rest of us? The double-standard that is more and more apparent for the federal "elite" absolutely sickens me.
View All Quotes

That's an amazing deal.
Seriously.

I agree completely with the parts in red.

The legal system works best when all parts do their job properly.
The last few years have shown quite clearly that prosecutors are not infallible and in some cases hostile to the rule of law.

You are 100% correct about law's applying to everyone or no one, (paraphrased a bit).

As a Marine I've been to places where there was no law, it was brute force and anarchy.
That is the result when there is no law.
If defending people who are pieces of shit and doing it so well that they are acquitted is the price we pay, oh well then.
The cops and the prosecutors need to up their game so they can get better results in court.
Any Judge that rubber stamps things, (on either side) should be recalled/impeached, IMO.
The system works best when it's fair.
Period.

Sorry for the thread hijack....just my thoughts from my little corner of the world.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#24]

So much less boogery?
View All Quotes

So much less boogery?

The boogers cannot adhere to the microfiber cloth.
So they come loose in the pocket and bond to your pants/shirt/coat.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#25]

This pleases me.

I am all about bringing at least a fleeting smile to her face in what is I'm sure an otherwise abyss, void of any happiness, being married to you.

View All Quotes

This pleases me.

That made her laugh again.
Between the laughter and the coffee...she likes you.
She adores your wife and kids, but I think she's actually warming up to you.
Keep it up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I like to keep things fresh. Maybe you should try that too and your wife might even come around to liking you.

For instance.

I have a beard in winter and none in summer for reasons. Wife says she likes it because she has a summer boyfriend and a winter boyfriend (but apparently she likes the winter boyfriend more).

Going from winter to summer I usually take a day to do a partial shave.

This year I went with the horseshoe mustache.

She likes that. She calls me her "side piece". I am also forbidden from telling her other boyfriends.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#28]
What are these knife makers drinking these days?

This is way too wordy.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I like to keep things fresh. Maybe you should try that too and your wife might even come around to liking you.

For instance.

I have a beard in winter and none in summer for reasons. Wife says she likes it because she has a summer boyfriend and a winter boyfriend (but apparently she likes the winter boyfriend more).

Going from winter to summer I usually take a day to do a partial shave.

This year I went with the horseshoe mustache.

She likes that. She calls me her "side piece". I am also forbidden from telling her other boyfriends.
View Quote

More laughter.

Then she went dead serious and said no shaving the goatee.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, I wouldn't want to see more of your face either.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#31]

damn, I should try that

my boss might be game
View Quote

LMFAO
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#32]

This is way too wordy.

https://i.imgur.com/6mfD642.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JrNRg1P.jpg
View Quote

I had tended to agree with Transparent about this whole thing. That letter and it's utterly ridiculous demands only reinforce my inclination. Anyone want to buy an Eklipse?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#33]

This is way too wordy.

https://i.imgur.com/6mfD642.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JrNRg1P.jpg
View Quote

Their prepared statement is douchey. Whether or not the allegations are true, that statement is mega lame. I’d have my attorney respond that it reads like shit and I’d provide a better and less vindictive boomer statement, for their consideration.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ParityError:
My new arrival. Flat Rock Shrike.

Sharp, pokey edc knife. :)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/93635/CA25708B-C6A1-4B9E-9193-FF3ECAA371E0-2370961.jpg

This is a really nice knife. Grinds are precise and even, everything fits up perfectly.
View Quote

How big is it?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:54:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#36]
Got some earth brown frag full scale Cuscadi’s and MXG deep carry titanium pocket clip on order. After that I’m getting the blade Cerakoted to match the scales.

https://i.ibb.co/6w10xz4/F1-DFA214-274-F-4-B24-99-FF-DB7663-E81-DF8.jpg
View Quote

Just the color on the Cerakote or the frag pattern as well?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Recipes, would be the ones I'd want to print.

Several of those, one is a thread here about a movie I need to add to my Netflix queue, and several are things I keep planning to order at some point.
View Quote

Ahh gotcha. I didn't think you were that boomery yet.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#39]
While that cease and desist is douchey maybe, RHK makes damn good knives. I don't blame him for going nuclear on some shitbag trying to give him a bad name.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#40]

I had tended to agree with Transparent about this whole thing. That letter and it's utterly ridiculous demands only reinforce my inclination. Anyone want to buy an Eklipse?
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By maleante:

Their prepared statement is douchey. Whether or not the allegations are true, that statement is mega lame. I’d have my attorney respond that it reads like shit and I’d provide a better and less vindictive boomer statement, for their consideration.

I have further comments on this. Need time. Instead, I have to babysit a building.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Super good for you, too. Low starch, and IIRC one of the only plant "products" with a complete amino acid profile.
View Quote

I think they're lower in a couple of the amino acids until they sprout or something.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#42]

I’m going to do it in fashion of the first 0393 model where only the blade flat is coated and the grinds are not. I only like bare steel on flashy knives typically.
View Quote

That'll be interesting. Post pics
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:
While that cease and desist is douchey maybe, RHK makes damn good knives. I don't blame him for going nuclear on some shitbag trying to give him a bad name.
View Quote

What's the context behind it? Just high school girl drama?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#44]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View Quote

Brian Kim (Transparent Knives) posted a low hardness test of a Hinderer a couple weeks ago, and expressed his opinion that the heat treat they use on 20CV (or it may have been M390) is lower than it should be to get optimal performance. He specifically said on his video that the margin of error could get it up to Hinderer specs for the heat treat, and that other blades he'd tested were within their specs, but he doesn't like the spec. I believe he also said that based on what he's seen from others, Hinderer's S45VN is treated and performs very well, and would be a better choice. Hinderer jumped his shit, there was a bunch of drama from Hinderer fans, and now this.

Edit: IMO Hinderer was the one doing the defaming in the whole thing. Brian was stating his opinion, which anyone is free to agree or disagree with. Hinderer, rather than explain why they choose that spec, said he was wrong, said his test was invalid, and that he doesn't know what he was talking about. Hinderer's whole argument is an appeal to authority, basically saying "I've been doing this for 35 years so I know better than this kid" but he's never backed that up with a WHY his way is better.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:
View Quote

Kinda inline with my comments, maybe he got a bad attorney, but people tend to choose counsel similar to their personality.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, quite the opposite. No contaminants allowed.
View Quote

I need something to clean my glasses
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#48]

This pleases me.

View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#49]

damn, I should try that

my boss might be game
View Quote

Heh
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Brian Kim (Transparent Knives) posted a low hardness test of a Hinderer a couple weeks ago, and expressed his opinion that the heat treat they use on 20CV (or it may have been M390) is lower than it should be to get optimal performance. He specifically said on his video that the margin of error could get it up to Hinderer specs for the heat treat, and that other blades he'd tested were within their specs, but he doesn't like the spec. I believe he also said that based on what he's seen from others, Hinderer's S45VN is treated and performs very well, and would be a better choice. Hinderer jumped his shit, there was a bunch of drama from Hinderer fans, and now this.

Edit: IMO Hinderer was the one doing the defaming in the whole thing. Brian was stating his opinion, which anyone is free to agree or disagree with. Hinderer, rather than explain why they choose that spec, said he was wrong, said his test was invalid, and that he doesn't know what he was talking about. Hinderer's whole argument is an appeal to authority, basically saying "I've been doing this for 35 years so I know better than this kid" but he's never backed that up with a WHY his way is better.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I swear some knife makers have the maturity of an 8 year old.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3113
Top Top