Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3091
Posted: 3/27/2016 2:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream]
Yes, I know there is a sub for knives but I see cool shit posted here in GD by people who aren't in the sub then forget what the title of the thread was and then get bored trying to search through every random knife related thread in GD.

This is what I usually carry for long bike rides:

A waved Spyderco Delica and a Kwaiken by Dynamik Blades aka Smithy
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:

What are the two to the left of the red and blue one?
View Quote

L: Tactile Rockwall
R: ZT 0450Ti

ZT is gone and the Rockwall is hitchhiking with it for a visit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Now put that blade in CRK scales.
View Quote

That would be sweet.

I'd love to see a better CRK/Shiro collab than the UniHatis
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

How on earth did that pass QC?
View Quote

Friday at 5 and the QC guy had a hot date that night or he was hung over Monday morning and gave no fucks.
View Quote

No idea. I even took it to the Kershaw table at blade west a couple of years ago to have them sharpen it(they gave it back to me duller than I gave it to them. Lol) and asked the dude there about it and he said that since it didn't effect how the knife worked, it was fine and they didn't have an issue with it. I was surprised because I've seen some Kershaw blems that you couldn't identify any issues with, but this was a limited release knife that's got a pretty noticable issue. Lol
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Yesterday's mail....I told you I can't wait.

Attachment Attached File

I just got word my other cool package came in too
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

This one wasn't a ton of money, but over $100.

I bought two of these(the other one is orange) and this one was afu. Kershaw said it wasn't a problem. Lol

Where it says "154cm" looks like it would have tucked right into the curve of the plunge grinds if it was ground correctly. Lol

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG2822_JPG-2131827.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG2824_JPG-2131828.JPG

I actually carried this one all week after I sharpened it up last weekend (diamond abrasives make all the difference.  I used to have a hard time getting it sharp before the upgrade to diamonds).  I still don't care for how thick the edge is.  It's also quite the pocket full compared to the pm2.  I've thought about getting it reground (I actually messaged Tom krein on IG about it but he never responded. Lol) I almost trust myself to do it but I always chicken out. Lol.

I'll probably toss it back in the bin and Carry something else next week.
View Quote

Ouch. It's like the highlighted that they fucked up.

See if Kuraki wants to give it a go. He did a good job when I sent him a Hinderer
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:

What are the two to the left of the red and blue one?

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Lazy day. Should be doing yard work but watching the game seemed like a better idea.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:
The Nyala has its own office?

Probably gets paid better than me too
View Quote

Well, it's probably a better attorney, so....
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]

While I was doing nothing wife was pickling onions and hand pulling noodles for lunch. She made the dough rolled it, cuts it then does this thing where she's smacks them against the counter while pulling them
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:06:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#10]

Finished noodle soup.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]

It's good. Really good.

Feels great in the hand, love the look of the grind, long and slim so carries easily for is size, flips well once you get used to the flipper, and the best sound of the Shiros I've experienced. "Thuuuu-WACK" Seriously sounds and feels amazing. So solid.

Initial gripes are: 1. The flipper is unnecessarily small. It looks nice but it's harder to get used to than it needs to be. 2. It's more sensitive to lockbar pressure than most. I think this may be in part due to it being easy to get a weak flip due to the small flipper as well. 3. It's a guillotine. I enjoy drop shut actions, but I like a little drag to them to give me time to move my thumb. With this one, if you're holding it at an angle that the blade can drop when you disengage the lock, it's going to smack your thumb, period. There's no time to get out of the way. Much faster than I expected after the KS and the aftermarket rollers that were in the turtle. Must be well broken in.

Overall I think I prefer it to the KS, but it is brand new so we'll have to let things settle for a while, and the KS does have a couple things going for it that I wish this one did, too, so there's not necessarily a clear winner. Might end up as a tie with a few differences.

But for now, possible new favorite knife ever.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
https://i.imgur.com/MnmWdPY.jpeg

While I was doing nothing wife was pickling onions and hand pulling noodles for lunch. She made the dough rolled it, cuts it then does this thing where she's smacks them against the counter while pulling them
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:
A little Saturday morning programming to do.
Damn thing is trying to be ornery.

https://i.imgur.com/vKKkmEU.jpeg
View Quote

If all else fails, stab it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#15]
https://i.imgur.com/qBaO78U.jpeg

Finished noodle soup.

View Quote

Also like.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By it20:
Yesterday's mail....I told you I can't wait.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333476/20211016_105821_jpg-2132300.JPG

I just got word my other cool package came in too
View Quote

Nice knife
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

Well, it's probably a better attorney, so....
View Quote

Can’t argue with that since I am doing mostly tech and janitorial work lately. Apparently my wife thinks I am a horrible attorney too
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#18]
https://i.imgur.com/qBaO78U.jpeg

Finished noodle soup.

View Quote

That looks amazing! Love the Paysan, too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 3xpert:
https://i.imgur.com/wcbFIDk.jpg
View Quote
what model is that?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I think I am starting to appreciate backspacers a bit more than I used to. These add some more interest than just standoffs would.

View Quote

They do dress up the back of the knives, but they add maintenance.
At least they dont lure sailors in....
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MrSig239:
Those really do dress up the back of the knives!
Decided to carry the Doctor today as I had an appt. at the dentist for a cleaning.
Working on the tractor today also. Getting a service done before it gets to cold.
View Quote

Sigh...
You actually want the sailors to come check your oil, dont you?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By pagoda:
Hello fellow knife enthusiasts.
I seem to have misplaced one of my knives, that is my go-to for lighter weight carry.  Usually carried in shorts and lightweight pants where a big clunky knife is no fun.  I can't name the knife, as people would be terribly offended and probably not read any further.  It was posted on page 1, post 3 however.
Anyway, I am looking for a replacement.  Something sexy, trim, reasonably lightweight, but still containing a formidable blade.
It's predecessor was ~3.5" blade, ~3 oz, and slim and trim, to fit in a front pocket alongside a wallet.
Lately I have seen the TRM Atom getting high praise, so that's on the list, but stock is hard to find.
Budget, eh, under $400 would be good.  Suggestions?
View Quote

TRM Atom is a great one and I really liked the one I had in hand.
Smooth action, super light, sharp AF.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

13 is tempting.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
I did a thing, and I need to get off my butt and start moving some of the knives from the cull drawers of my case. Anyone here can PM or email me if anything below looks interesting. I'll probably move on to reddit for sale or raffle this weekend, but figured I'd give you crazy bastards first crack.

https://i.imgur.com/HFEcZeV.jpg

13 is tempting.

It is.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Smock is a solid choice too
View All Quotes

I was actually thinking just the other day that the ZT 0640 would be a good replacement for you for the one that shall not be named.

Not super light at 4.4 oz, it has a presence, but I never feel like it is too heavy. Slimmer profile.

The TRM Atoms are very well done, light and fun, but they are taller in the blade and overall in the pocket. No as bad as most Spydercos.

Speaking of, the Spyderco Smock has been popular and I think they even make it is S30V like the unholy one you lost.

Emerson Kwaiken is pretty awesome, but you won't be able to get that sweet S30V. Nice profile, good size, built in bottle opener.

Ace Sonoma is another solid choice in the slimmer profile. 2.8 oz on the micarta version.

Smock is a solid choice too

Smock is a great knife, however it is heavier than an Atom.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#25]

You know, speaking with you on the phone the other day it really struck me. I thought wow, this guy is speaking in a coherent manner, he is intelligible, he isn't completely full of shit. So WTF happens when he is typing online?!
View All Quotes

How else are you going to inherit their ability do that besides eating them?
I mean, you could just start eating bulbs yourself, but I'd rather work my way up to that and start by eating squirrels.

You know, speaking with you on the phone the other day it really struck me. I thought wow, this guy is speaking in a coherent manner, he is intelligible, he isn't completely full of shit. So WTF happens when he is typing online?!

Lol.....

It's my online persona.
You know you like it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#26]

That's good to know. I'm still trying to avoid wanting one though.
View Quote

Originally Posted By sywagon:
Yeah, I saw that one coming and got some stuff ready a week ahead. The crab apple was still steaming a bit so I piled on with some dry white pine. Also did it when she was out, so she came home to a 2 hr. mature fire. I definitely couldn't light it with her in the yard - going to aske for at least a 20min. buffer always.

I actually could never see cooking over it - the fat has no where to go unless it burns off. I pictured this thing being a stinking nasty firepit as far as storage, but it basically seems to have burned itself clean with dry wood to the point I could put it in the basement and she wouldn't smell it.
View Quote

Yeah, we were impressed.
I agree about not cooking over it...dont see that working out the best without a pot or pan.....
But for backyard/camping fire pit status...it's Tier 1 IMO.
I can put it directly on my composite deck with no heat issues. The little ring stand disburses heat quite well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#27]

What's a BK?
View All Quotes
Not that anyone here should care, but yes, I can hold a sweaty Optimator, a Skinny Monster, and a BK in one hand at the same time when the photo calls for it

https://i.imgur.com/fiFiDow.jpg

What's a BK?

Big Knife...duh!

It's not a BFK, it's just a BK.
He's expecting to joust a herd of knights, he just wants to enjoy the night with his lady.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Somewhere between a SK and a BFK
View All Quotes

What's a BK?
Somewhere between a SK and a BFK

See!

Toldja....
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#29]

The ZT 0640 does look interesting.  I typically haven't liked ZT looks, but that has a nice profile.  I'll keep it in mind.

You mentioned taller blade like Spyderco, a heavier knife I like to carry is the PM2.  It just doesn't fit well with a wallet in smaller pockets because of the hump in the blade.  
The Smock looks good in the size/profile, but I'm just not sure about the port holes...  I know that's been a lively topic here before.  
Your steel bullying is noted.

The Emerson Kwaiken is a little too... untraditional looking?  I think?  But that just reminded you have a really nice Emerson something that I have liked, but it has a chisel grind only I think?  Wasn't sure how I felt about that.  Which model is this:  https://imgur.com/VgY66RG

The Ace Sonoma, I had forgotten about them!  I have a Giantmouse GMF1, and while its practicality can be challenged, the fit and finish are really good.  I had been eyeing there folders, but had forgotten about them this time around.

Thanks for the recommendations!
View All Quotes

I was actually thinking just the other day that the ZT 0640 would be a good replacement for you for the one that shall not be named.

Not super light at 4.4 oz, it has a presence, but I never feel like it is too heavy. Slimmer profile.

The TRM Atoms are very well done, light and fun, but they are taller in the blade and overall in the pocket. No as bad as most Spydercos.

Speaking of, the Spyderco Smock has been popular and I think they even make it is S30V like the unholy one you lost.

Emerson Kwaiken is pretty awesome, but you won't be able to get that sweet S30V. Nice profile, good size, built in bottle opener.

Ace Sonoma is another solid choice in the slimmer profile. 2.8 oz on the micarta version.

The ZT 0640 does look interesting.  I typically haven't liked ZT looks, but that has a nice profile.  I'll keep it in mind.

You mentioned taller blade like Spyderco, a heavier knife I like to carry is the PM2.  It just doesn't fit well with a wallet in smaller pockets because of the hump in the blade.  
The Smock looks good in the size/profile, but I'm just not sure about the port holes...  I know that's been a lively topic here before.  
Your steel bullying is noted.

The Emerson Kwaiken is a little too... untraditional looking?  I think?  But that just reminded you have a really nice Emerson something that I have liked, but it has a chisel grind only I think?  Wasn't sure how I felt about that.  Which model is this:  https://imgur.com/VgY66RG

The Ace Sonoma, I had forgotten about them!  I have a Giantmouse GMF1, and while its practicality can be challenged, the fit and finish are really good.  I had been eyeing there folders, but had forgotten about them this time around.

Thanks for the recommendations!

ZT 0640 was a sleeper for me. It was one I did not expect to like.
Dont over look it.

JABA's got a sweet bronze one that is straight eye candy....
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#30]

MaxxII does
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

It’s been in my pocket all week. Almost ready for a review.

Anybody read Japanese around here?

https://i.imgur.com/rKWz0K1.jpg

MaxxII does

It's been quite awhile, and I was never great with Kanji.
Katagana, and Hidegana mostly....
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#31]

That's very clearly a modified wharncliffe because of the point and lack of the defining feature of the sheepsfoot, the down rounded nose to avoid stabbiness.

Don't confuse these poor bastards with your polite dithering.

More puzzling to me would be the Insingo. Rounds down like a sheepsfoot, put still a bit of a point...upswept wharncliffe...

View All Quotes

Technically, I'm not sure if it's either. Wharncliffes are straight bladed, and sheepsfoots (?) curve down to the raised tip. Sheepcliffe?

All that really matters is you like it.

Could use a little work how?

That's very clearly a modified wharncliffe because of the point and lack of the defining feature of the sheepsfoot, the down rounded nose to avoid stabbiness.

Don't confuse these poor bastards with your polite dithering.

More puzzling to me would be the Insingo. Rounds down like a sheepsfoot, put still a bit of a point...upswept wharncliffe...

Insingo is a beautiful knife.
I want one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Chocolate covered squirrel bites?
Stay Weird Wisconsin...
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Not junk unless bxxxhmade.
This thread can cost you money.
View All Quotes

Not junk unless bxxxhmade.
This thread can cost you money.

This thread will cost you money.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#34]
F3 Friday
View Quote

You nail color contrast man....
Love that picture.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Beautiful!

Details on this Shiro?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Shirogorov/Southard Russian Flipping Tanto
View All Quotes
Will you two get a room, or, you know, let us in on what it is

Shirogorov/Southard Russian Flipping Tanto

Should have read further...It's beautiful.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Suprisingly not.

A motorcycle crash got two at once though
View All Quotes
Wow - biking accidents?

Suprisingly not.

A motorcycle crash got two at once though

I broke my pinky toe stubbing against one of the cribs....Didnt drop the baby, but I damn near threw up. Toe had been knocked to a 45 degree angle outboard from my foot.
I put it back and waited for the wife to come home so I could go to the Doc-in-the-Box.
Wife made fun of me for saying I broke it, then the Xray came back and she felt bad.
For a few minutes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TimeOnTarget:
ZT Hinderer design.

View Quote

Nice job!

I need to get ahold of a 560...I love the 562.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By reb0957:
what model is that?
View Quote

0452GL Sinkevich Design
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Leberkaese and Coffee.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:42:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MaxxII] [#41]

0452GL Sinkevich Design
View All Quotes
what model is that?

0452GL Sinkevich Design

It's one I wish I'd bought before they got hard to find...

B...side from a few nights back with the regular 452..

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#42]

https://i.imgur.com/VtIQw7v.jpg?1
View Quote

What is That Private MaxII? Squirrel Food?

Make an offer on the knife if you want.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Hmm.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
what model is that?

0452GL Sinkevich Design

Fancy looking bait.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Hmm.

https://i.imgur.com/0Y89uDWl.jpg
View Quote

I used to get pickled herring at the bowling alley when I was a kid. They had that and pickled eggs sitting right next to each other. Probably why I have an iron gut.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Got off to an early start today so didn't get to post. Windy out now so the leaves can wait. Pics for today:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:15:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#47]

I used to get pickled herring at the bowling alley when I was a kid. They had that and pickled eggs sitting right next to each other. Probably why I have an iron gut.
View Quote

I love pickled herring. This is not as good.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#48]

I love picked herring. This is not as good.
View All Quotes

I love picked herring. This is not as good.

I was going to comment on the flavors but got distracted. Yay ADD.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Should have bought more Sazerac. And brought more Vernors...

https://i.imgur.com/W4byBKb.jpg
View Quote

Well when you're filling pint glasses things tend to go quick
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#50]

It's good. Really good.

Feels great in the hand, love the look of the grind, long and slim so carries easily for is size, flips well once you get used to the flipper, and the best sound of the Shiros I've experienced. "Thuuuu-WACK" Seriously sounds and feels amazing. So solid.

Initial gripes are: 1. The flipper is unnecessarily small. It looks nice but it's harder to get used to than it needs to be. 2. It's more sensitive to lockbar pressure than most. I think this may be in part due to it being easy to get a weak flip due to the small flipper as well. 3. It's a guillotine. I enjoy drop shut actions, but I like a little drag to them to give me time to move my thumb. With this one, if you're holding it at an angle that the blade can drop when you disengage the lock, it's going to smack your thumb, period. There's no time to get out of the way. Much faster than I expected after the KS and the aftermarket rollers that were in the turtle. Must be well broken in.

Overall I think I prefer it to the KS, but it is brand new so we'll have to let things settle for a while, and the KS does have a couple things going for it that I wish this one did, too, so there's not necessarily a clear winner. Might end up as a tie with a few differences.

But for now, possible new favorite knife ever.
View Quote

I didn't realize it was that thin until your pic. It looks amazing. The balance in the milling and shape with that compound grind is gorgeous.

The pops of blue are great too.

God damn that's a hot knife
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3091
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top