Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3094
Posted: 3/27/2016 2:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream]
Yes, I know there is a sub for knives but I see cool shit posted here in GD by people who aren't in the sub then forget what the title of the thread was and then get bored trying to search through every random knife related thread in GD.

This is what I usually carry for long bike rides:

A waved Spyderco Delica and a Kwaiken by Dynamik Blades aka Smithy
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it FRN Friday or fixed blade Friday? Eh, get both.
VG-10 and D2. Hard use steels that are JABA approved.
Toughness, not edge retention.

Originally Posted By MaxxII:

I still think yours was a one off....
My Emerson Commander is over 20 years old, carried daily, used all sorts of inappropriately, and the logo is just starting to wear off.
No chipping.

Regardless, you use your knives hard, and I'd be hard pressed to argue against your observations.
View Quote

I hear what you're saying. I use my knives hard but not that hard. I would even buy in to the engraver having a bad day but the custom clip I bought with it has the same issue. Mind you, I haven't carried this knife even a dozen times. I bought both from DLT. You can see by the rest of the knife it wasn't abused at all.

Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:
It may also have been new edge chips, like with Spydercos. Sharpen down to the good material.

Or JABA was being purposely abusive. It isn't 3V.
View Quote

Could be burned edge but I sharpened it and it still chipped, not being abusive either. I did use it to scrape some stuff but any knife priced over 200 bucks and labeled as toughest on the planet should be able to take that.

See right below the Left hand side of the logo. I even left a nice toothy edge.

See, the deal is, I have no fanboy views on any knife. I called out Spyderco and their shitty S30V burned edges. It's chippy and edge retention sucks ass.
ZT tends to go soft on their S35VN and edge retention sucks.
Their S30V and 20CV are chippy as well.

Maybe I just expect too much. I'm just an end user that went down the path of trying to find a work knife that could take abuse and hold an edge.
I got caught up in the disease along the way but it allowed me to try out a lot of different steels and brands.

But to see where I came from...these were some of my work knives prior to me upping my knife game a few years ago.

I carried the Case for years as a work knife. I've abused this knife to no end. I HAVE sharpened it on a car window and concrete, stones, diamonds, ceramic rods, whatever was handy.

Now look at the $10 gun show tanto. I absolutely tortured this thing. It had a black painted blade and I took it out and sandblasted it. It was always sharpened on a pull through sharpener. No chips though.

The Kershaw Clash was one I carried at work for years and the one that prompted me to buy my first ZT. The spring broke so I decided to step up my game and bought an 0350.

Look at the blade... I cleaned it with a red Scotch Brite so many times it's not funny. Same goes for the other two.
Amazingly, the logo still remains.

I still love the blade shape and the thumb hole on the CQC-10. The grinds are absolutely on point. Emerson is great with design.

Don't take this whole thing as me being butthurt or vindictive, I'm not. Just calling it like I see it.

What I've found is that no knife is the perfect edc. Every single one gives up something.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:06:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#2]
Have to give you shit.

Otherwise how would you know we care?

ETA: Also, the Shiro 95t may be perfect and not give up anything. Seriously. It is so perfect it is boring.

On a more practical note, the A100 may be too

ETA2: If you are looking for something to abuse, do you have any in 3V? That is supposed to be 3V's thing, take abuse and keep going. With a good heat treat you get good edge retention.

As I am writing this, seem to recall you have a PM2 in 4V? You should give that one some abuse. Sacrifices a bit of toughness for more edge retention over 3V. Should be pretty good on a hard use folder.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Could it be "Flipper Friday"😊
Attachment Attached File

I should pay for this thing!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I was going to go with "Franklin Friday"

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By it20:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333476/20210122_091506_jpg-1791308.JPG

View Quote

That's a nice shot of that knife.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Happiness is

a new little brother?!

LOL, this is pretty sweet. Feels great in the hand. Did not know/recall it is hollow ground.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Happiness is

https://i.imgur.com/7e98DZGl.jpg

a new little brother?!

LOL, this is pretty sweet. Feels great in the hand. Did not know/recall it is hollow ground.

View Quote

Thanks for the pic kudos!

That little guy looks like it would be a great box opener. I dont know why i have fallen love with two blade shapes. The whancliffe/sheepsfoot/cleaver and the kwaiken/haitian.....the latter I have none
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
That's exactly what came to mind as I was handling it. Blade is super thin and slicey and the grip is really solid, feels like you could push cut through some thick stuff. Small, but big enough to do some hard work.  Fun little guy.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Man I'd love a flattened diamond cross section dagger with a zero edge in 3V.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys are doing pretty good with the alliteration. I'll add to it.

Folder Friday.
Fixie Friday.
Fighter Friday.

All of the above!

But of course it is really Foxy Lady Friday.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
that just looks naughty
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I like that. Looks bigger than it is to me. Supposed to be 15" OAL. Beautiful work.

This is a little more my style. Really like this. 3V

Stumbled across this kitchen knife from CPK too. Apparently it was a very small run many years ago. Interesting take on food release feature.  AEB-L

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:39:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#16]
https://i.imgur.com/lozAowy.jpg
View Quote

Now THAT's stabby! And beautiful. But not very practical.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:51:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MaxxII] [#17]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

https://i.imgur.com/8MuC3ev.jpg

I hear what you're saying. I use my knives hard but not that hard. I would even buy in to the engraver having a bad day but the custom clip I bought with it has the same issue. Mind you, I haven't carried this knife even a dozen times. I bought both from DLT. You can see by the rest of the knife it wasn't abused at all.

https://i.imgur.com/OpYNEVR.jpg

Could be burned edge but I sharpened it and it still chipped, not being abusive either. I did use it to scrape some stuff but any knife priced over 200 bucks and labeled as toughest on the planet should be able to take that.

https://i.imgur.com/T366TQ0.jpg

See, the deal is, I have no fanboy views on any knife. I called out Spyderco and their shitty S30V burned edges. It's chippy and edge retention sucks ass.

Maybe I just expect too much. I'm just an end user that went down the path of trying to find a work knife that could take abuse and hold an edge.
I got caught up in the disease along the way but it allowed me to try out a lot of different steels and brands.

But to see where I came from...these were some of my work knives prior to me upping my knife game a few years ago.

I carried the Case for years as a work knife. I've abused this knife to no end. I HAVE sharpened it on a car window and concrete, stones, diamonds, ceramic rods, whatever was handy.

Now look at the $10 gun show tanto. I absolutely tortured this thing. It had a black painted blade and I took it out and sandblasted it. It was always sharpened on a pull through sharpener. No chips though.

The Kershaw Clash was one I carried at work for years and the one that prompted me to buy my first ZT. The spring broke so I decided to step up my game and bought an 0350.

Look at the blade... I cleaned it with a red Scotch Brite so many times it's not funny. Same goes for the other two.

https://i.imgur.com/cvBkzvX.jpg

I still love the blade shape and the thumb hole on the CQC-10. The grinds are absolutely on point. Emerson is great with design.

Don't take this whole thing as me being butthurt or vindictive, I'm not. Just calling it like I see it.

What I've found is that no knife is the perfect edc. Every single one gives up something.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I still think yours was a one off....
My Emerson Commander is over 20 years old, carried daily, used all sorts of inappropriately, and the logo is just starting to wear off.
No chipping.

Regardless, you use your knives hard, and I'd be hard pressed to argue against your observations.

It may also have been new edge chips, like with Spydercos. Sharpen down to the good material.

Or JABA was being purposely abusive. It isn't 3V.

I've never seen you as a fan boi of one manufacturer or another.
You've been pretty consistent and even in your viewpoints regarding things as long as I've been in this thread.
You're pretty on point with this post too.

By way of comparison, here is my 21 year old Commander.EDC'd while bartending and working EMS. It was used to cut all sorts of stuff. Now relegated to the ZTbagOknives. I really need to clean it and send it into Emerson. I'm not so good with sharpening recurved blades, and it could use it.

It's been used hard over the years, and no chipping and the label is still visible. Granted I never wiped it down with a scotch brite pad, but it's been worn by use.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Reinforced "fiberglass" friday🤣
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Have to give you shit.

Otherwise how would you know we care?

ETA: Also, the Shiro 95t may be perfect and not give up anything. Seriously. It is so perfect it is boring.

On a more practical note, the A100 may be too

ETA2: If you are looking for something to abuse, do you have any in 3V? That is supposed to be 3V's thing, take abuse and keep going. With a good heat treat you get good edge retention.

As I am writing this, seem to recall you have a PM2 in 4V? You should give that one some abuse. Sacrifices a bit of toughness for more edge retention over 3V. Should be pretty good on a hard use folder.
View Quote

Yes, my 4V PM2 is one of my favorites. It has held up well so far. Matter of fact, I have two of them. Ones still NIB.

I'm not ready to proclaim it champion just yet, but so far, 4V is holding its own for toughness and edge retention.

That something you give up is corrosion resistance, which doesn't matter so much with DLC blades.

I have been looking at some of the Bradford fixed blades in 3V. Might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I think Benchmade is doing some 3V...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I think Benchmade is doing some 3V...
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Are you calling me catty?

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#24]

I've never seen you as a fan boi of one manufacturer or another.
You've been pretty consistent and even in your viewpoints regarding things as long as I've been in this thread.
You're pretty on point with this post too.

By way of comparison, here is my 21 year old Commander.EDC'd while bartending and working EMS. It was used to cut all sorts of stuff. Now relegated to the ZTbagOknives. I really need to clean it and send it into Emerson. I'm not so good with sharpening recurved blades, and it could use it.

It's been used hard over the years, and no chipping and the label is still visible. Granted I never wiped it down with a scotch brite pad, but it's been worn by use.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/Commander_3-1791426.jpg
View Quote

Those scales look more friendly than current ones.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Yes, my 4V PM2 is one of my favorites. It has held up well so far. Matter of fact, I have two of them. Ones still NIB.

I'm not ready to proclaim it champion just yet, but so far, 4V is holding its own for toughness and edge retention.

That something you give up is corrosion resistance, which doesn't matter so much with DLC blades.

I have been looking at some of the Bradford fixed blades in 3V. Might be worth a try.
View Quote

*Reserved*
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Another lucky guy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: it20] [#27]

I am fine with that. Amazing concert!!!!!!!

Edit: RIP Lemmy
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Are you calling me catty?

View Quote

No, that was my internal reaction to your comment.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I went with Flipper Friday but haven't gotten a good pic yet.

A well reasoned and evidenced post. Sounds like you may need a bolo tie
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By it20:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333476/20210122_091506_jpg-1791308.JPG

View Quote

Flipper Friday is what I went with
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By rbb2:
I was going to go with "Franklin Friday"

https://i.imgur.com/koUdVnl.jpg
View Quote

Nice! And finally!

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck yeah Friday.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Happiness is

https://i.imgur.com/7e98DZGl.jpg

a new little brother?!

View Quote

It's a neat little knife.

Love the blue too
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 762AR25:
Man I'd love a flattened diamond cross section dagger with a zero edge in 3V.
View Quote

I think at one point I was bugging Kuraki to make one but then got distracted or decided I needed something else.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Folder Friday.
Fixie Friday.
Fighter Friday.

All of the above!

https://i.imgur.com/cxhtV01.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kdWK1m7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yfDjRUH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7Y0QXW6.jpg
View Quote

I like foxy lady Friday.

The background really makes the knives stand out
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#36]
https://i.imgur.com/lozAowy.jpg
View Quote

Cool and all but do you really want a stabbing weapon to be so slick?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, I like that. Looks bigger than it is to me. Supposed to be 15" OAL. Beautiful work.

This is a little more my style. Really like this. 3V

https://i.imgur.com/IDEvPy1.jpg

Stumbled across this kitchen knife from CPK too. Apparently it was a very small run many years ago. Interesting take on food release feature.  AEB-L

https://i.imgur.com/4Fi2PhQ.jpg
View Quote

That's more like it
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#38]
OK. 4V Friday it is.

I keep forgetting I have a 4V Manix still sitting in the box as well as another one of these for backup.

St. Nick's needs to hurry up and do a Military.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Eh, mother nature gave me shit lighting all day. Couldn't get a solid pic

This one turned out OK
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#40]
OK. 4V Friday it is.

https://i.imgur.com/itiwSZh.jpg

I keep forgetting I have a 4V Manix still sitting in the box as well as another one of these for backup.

St. Nick's needs to hurry up and do a Military.
View Quote

dope
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#42]
This one was probably better

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

No, that was my internal reaction to your comment.
View Quote

Thank goodness. I didn't want to drive all the way out there...

I used to have a folder in 3V.

Her name, was Marie-Fred.

But if she cheats

I'd still take her back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I have that Cruwear Shaman too. I guess Cruwear is similar to 3V or 4V. Somewhere in the middle maybe.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#45]

How's the hand?

Still love that knife.

I run out of money before I run out of knives I want to buy.
View Quote

Almost good as new. Still not much feeling in the tip of the pinky but it’s the price I pay...
For some reason I got a little nervous taking this pic.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Yeah, we haven't heard enough about that one.

In theory, 4V should be pretty ideal for a hard use folder, aside from maybe more difficult sharpening. Though with diamonds nothing is too terrible.

Even without the DLC, if it is like 3V, the higher vanadium content should go a long way to staving off corrosion.

I have seen some meat patina on a few of my 3V knives, but no corrosion, at least until I got my most recent CPK. It had been with a collector, so unused, but it had picked up some minor rust under the scales along the edge. Came off with baking soda. Same with the meat patina, came right off with baking soda, but I kinda liked the meat patina. Cool colors.

But other than that, never seen rust on any of my 3V unlike other tool steels which seem to rust magnets for me. (Seriously M4, why'd you have to do me like that? I wanted to love you so badly.)

Do you know if Spyderco does any uncoated 4V? Now I am wondering how it holds up corrosion wise. Don't think I have heard anything yet. Don't know anyone else using it.

I've looked at the Bradford Guardian 3 before myself. Great size and Steel (M390) for that price. The Ranier Fastpak looks sweet too. Still haven't grabbed either for the same reason; they wouldn't displace my Gulsos for carry and not really display items for my case. But I appreciate a lot about them. Don't think I knew Bradford was doing 3V now.

Didn't that Gulso guy say he was going to do his Forester knife in 4V? Actually, didn't he already make a prototype in 4V last year? We should get him in here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Pretty sure I’d have missing digits on at least one hand if I had one of those.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Fucker!

You owe me a new keyboard!

I like him. He can stay.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By GnarlyDood:

Almost good as new. Still not much feeling in the tip of the pinky but it’s the price I pay...
For some reason I got a little nervous taking this pic.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486084/AB2901AB-77F7-41C6-9AE2-D68ED24F1699_jpe-1792168.JPG
View Quote

Why nervous? Daughter nearby ready to finish the job?

Blue liners?

Lets see a spine shot of that one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Folder Friday.
Fixie Friday.
Fighter Friday.

All of the above!

https://i.imgur.com/cxhtV01.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kdWK1m7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yfDjRUH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7Y0QXW6.jpg
View Quote

And I’m the fucking show off 🙄
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3094
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top