Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3096
Posted: 3/27/2016 2:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream]
Yes, I know there is a sub for knives but I see cool shit posted here in GD by people who aren't in the sub then forget what the title of the thread was and then get bored trying to search through every random knife related thread in GD.

This is what I usually carry for long bike rides:

A waved Spyderco Delica and a Kwaiken by Dynamik Blades aka Smithy
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrSig239:

No smart ass! Regular jeans. Holster and mag pouch go on the belt as you know.
View Quote

damn, is that how that is supposed to work?

I been doin it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:50:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#2]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I mean I work on a compound I guess but it doesn't feel the same
View Quote

Right? Sometimes we just don't know any different because we have been beaten into submission. He has his compound, you have yours.

I am joining my wife's firm tomorrow. Here's how the partner negotiation went. Probably indicative of the rest of my time going forward as well.

WIC: Yeah, so I am going to need high six figures, an Aston Martin, the standard gold Rolex (don't even want it), and a larger office.

MrsWIC: You will get paid less than you are now because now everything you make goes to the firm and gets shared. You already got a challenger. I can give you a friendship bracelet. Your office in the new building will be smaller than the one you have now.

WIC: WTF?! are you trying to make me not join?

MrsWIC: Do or don't, it's up to you.

WIC: That's some bullshit right there. Do I at lest get a controlling interest?

MrsWIC: No, you get 100 shares.

WIC: dafuq? You have 100 thousand!

MrsWIC: Correct.

WIC: and for the record, I paid for the challenger with my money.

MrsWIC: It's all my money. You know that.

WIC: You probably don't even have a friendship bracelet to give.

MrsWIC: I don't. Here, you can have this piece of rainbow paracord.

WIC: That was mine to begin with. And what is this smaller office bullshit. Where am I supposed to meet with clients? Where am I supposed to put all my bourbon and glassware?

MrsWIC: You can meet with clients in a conference room like everyone else. For the bourbon and glassware we will build a bar and you can put it on display there.

WIC: Really? Am I supposed to share it or do I at least get to keep my own bourbon?

MrsWIC: you can keep your bourbon if you don't drop it.

WIC: fuck you.

MrsWIC: If you are still in, fill out this paperwork.

WIC: (looking at 1/2" thick stack of paper) I think I will wait until I am on the clock and can bill for administrative time.

MrsWIC: You are salary now. You are always on the clock and you don't get paid more, you just work more. I own you.

WIC: fuck
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Is Gosling's good?

Finished my Bumbu X, thought I would get some dark rum at Costco today, they had none.

Going to total wine, they have Gosling, but it is so cheap it makes me wonder. Is it one of those things that is good but cheap, or is it just cheap, so less discerning people like it for that reason?

I just remembered, I think I have some Diplomatico around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
wife thought this was funny, and sadly relateable

I've been trying to get her to switch software

Clio - The Law Firm Lifesaver.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WIC:

beautiful knife

I was just looking into what the Morpheus is about last night.
View Quote

The color on yours is still better, though.

And I still think the Specter had better proportions. The Morpheus looks to me like a haptic handle with a specter blade.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
I don't have any Shuns, but some of the other less traditional ones would be basically the same thing. VG-10 which seems ostensibly basically the same as Shun's proprietary VG-Max is very good kitchen knife steel and I've found it to hold an edge very well. In testing VG-10 is not as good of steel as the HAP-40 though in edge retention, but is less stainless. Mine is getting a nice patina now just on the core so it makes the hamon pop more and I like it for that. The others available there still with Aogami Super should also be a step up from Shun's.

Shun are made in Japan in Seki and are mass produced Kai product (ZT, Kershaw) but high quality (if like my similar brands) with a good reputation. The Kohetsu is more of a small scale traditional type affair. The Kohetsus have a solid reputation for the heat treat, grinds, and blade geometry. I am much more drawn to the latter and it has been a versatile knife that gets used a lot for anything from cheese to tomatoes etc. etc.. I still need to get a chicken to process though to try out its original intended use.

It is going to come down significantly to your tastes and the aesthetics. For perspective, if you post the Shun on Kitchenknifeforums you'll get cool to negative responses, whereas the Kohetsu would get nods.

chefknivestogo is the first and usually last stop for Japanese kitchen knives. They also have a boning knife section.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/honesuki.html
View Quote

Japanese knife imports has a solid, and wide, selection of knives from smaller and more traditional makers as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By WTR_Warlord:

Thanks for all the good info I’m going to order the same one you have. I signed up to be notified when back in stock.
View Quote

Looks like a good choice. Very good looking, too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]

That's not yours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's not yours.

#yournotmysupervisor

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Is Gosling's good?

Finished my Bumbu X, thought I would get some dark rum at Costco today, they had none.

Going to total wine, they have Gosling, but it is so cheap it makes me wonder. Is it one of those things that is good but cheap, or is it just cheap, so less discerning people like it for that reason?

View Quote

Goslings black seal is good stuff
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Right? Sometimes we just don't know any different because we have been beaten into submission. He has his compound, you have yours.

I am joining my wife's firm tomorrow. Here's how the partner negotiation went. Probably indicative of the rest of my time going forward as well.

WIC: Yeah, so I am going to need high six figures, an Aston Martin, the standard gold Rolex (don't even want it), and a larger office.

MrsWIC: You will get paid less than you are now because now everything you make goes to the firm and gets shared. You already got a challenger. I can give you a friendship bracelet. Your office in the new building will be smaller than the one you have now.

WIC: That was mine to begin with. And what is this smaller office bullshit. Where am I supposed to meet with clients? Where am I supposed to put all my bourbon and glassware?

MrsWIC: You can meet with clients in a conference room like everyone else. For the bourbon and glassware we will build a bar and you can put it on display there.

WIC: Really? Am I supposed to share it or do I at least get to keep my own bourbon?

WIC: (looking at 1/2" thick stack of paper) I think I will wait until I am on the clock and can bill for administrative time.

MrsWIC: You are salary now. You are always on the clock and you don't get paid more, you just work more. I own you.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I mean I work on a compound I guess but it doesn't feel the same

Seems right.
You need constant supervision and direction. She knows that.
#TeamMrsWIC
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#11]
supervision maybe, direction no
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

View Quote

like good for it's pricepoint, or just good
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 80085:
@rbb2 excellent observation, the foolproof solution is to use indoor only sandals so you don’t get stung by sliding your feet into something in the middle of the night.

https://i.imgur.com/K8fw6iN.jpg
View Quote

Ooh, it's like a crossover episode where characters from one series appear in a different one!

I've never lived anywhere with common poisonous/venomous creatures, so never had to worry about it either indoors or out. I mean, theoretically there are brown recluse spiders around here but I've never heard of anyone getting bitten. And there are supposedly prairie rattlesnakes on the western edge of my county, but again, never heard of an issue.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

The color on yours is still better, though.

And I still think the Specter had better proportions. The Morpheus looks to me like a haptic handle with a specter blade.
View Quote

I do like mine.

Nice chap that let it go so I could have it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Is Gosling's good?

View Quote

I have diplomatico in my dresser all wrapped up from my last move. I’ve been trying to work my way through a big ass bottle of tequila I bought at Costco. It’s absurdly large and I doubt I’ll finish it off before 2023.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#16]

#yournotmysupervisor

View Quote

#hookedonphonics
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]
more like

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Turned a big one of the thing on the left into a bunch of the things on the right.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

The key is a solid ginger beer if you're going to be Dark 'n Stormy. Drank a bunch of them in Bermuda.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Ooh, it's like a crossover episode where characters from one series appear in a different one!

I've never lived anywhere with common poisonous/venomous creatures, so never had to worry about it either indoors or out. I mean, theoretically there are brown recluse spiders around herebut I've never heard of anyone getting bitten. And there are supposedly prairie rattlesnakes on the western edge of my county, but again, never heard of an issue.
View Quote

I stayed in a mud/stick hut in Venezuela for a few nights as I was traveling with a girl who knew the people living there. At night they’d dump diesel fuel around the hut to keep the snakes away. I’ve lived a lot of places and been to a lot of places but I’d never seen poverty like that before.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Brunch buffet

Chilaquiles and chorizo/bean tacos

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Ooh, how is it? I love festbier.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Had to get something at Wally world and saw this on the way out. I like mustard more than most, I think, but WTF?

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Solid taste. Prob the highest abv I've had for an Oktoberfest at 6.1%. Troegs has alot of good stuff. Kids were up at Hershey and got it right at the brewery. Prob in the distributors by now.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By williedikker72:

Solid taste. Prob the highest abv I've had for an Oktoberfest at 6.1%. Troegs has alot of good stuff. Kids were up at Hershey and got it right at the brewery. Prob in the distributors by now.
View Quote

That is definitely higher than I'm used to seeing for the style.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Both. I didnt think the cost was unreasonable, and I liked the taste.

I have not had Bumbo, so I cannot really compare the two.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#28]

#hookedonphonics
View Quote

more like

https://i.imgur.com/41eVN6u.gif
View Quote

#fuckyoubothIwasonmyphone
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M41A] [#29]
Fifty shades of FDE

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By M41A:
Fifty shades of FDE

https://i.imgur.com/VJxCbEd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4JQA2R3.jpg
View Quote

Nice knives, but you just like poking the cow at this point...
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#31]

I stayed in a mud/stick hut in Venezuela for a few nights as I was traveling with a girl who knew the people living there. At night they’d dump diesel fuel around the hut to keep the snakes away. I’ve lived a lot of places and been to a lot of places but I’d never seen poverty like that before.
View All Quotes

I've never lived anywhere with common poisonous/venomous creatures, so never had to worry about it either indoors or out. I mean, theoretically there are brown recluse spiders around herebut I've never heard of anyone getting bitten. And there are supposedly prairie rattlesnakes on the western edge of my county, but again, never heard of an issue.

Never been to Venezuela, (or Central America), but I've seen extreme poverty in Africa and Asia before...
Most American's have absolutely no idea how lucky they really are.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:02:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M41A] [#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M41A:
Fifty shades of FDE

https://i.imgur.com/VJxCbEd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4JQA2R3.jpg

I would never do that

I found an old Sony point and shoot camera and wanted to see if it took pictures as good as my DSLR.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Turned a big one of the thing on the left into a bunch of the things on the right.

https://i.imgur.com/PKuOyKw.jpg
View Quote

Oh! Those look marvelous!
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Nice pic!
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Brunch buffet

https://i.imgur.com/qi6Bjj3.jpg
View Quote

Would eat! What's the drink?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Mmm - makes great boozy coffee.

https://i.imgur.com/s2MNRvQ.jpg
View Quote

Love the blues. Go well with the knife.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Well that's lame. I'm pretty sure Larrin said it really excels at 63-64, right?
View Quote

Yeah but Ol'Medford said blah, like that guy knows anything
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By WTR_Warlord:
Greetings again knife addicts! It’s been a while, I’m looking for a new boning knife for the kitchen I was leaning towards shun. What do you all recommend? Thanks
View Quote

Price range?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#39]

That looks amazing!
View Quote

Was great. I'm finally able to eat again
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Shun is a safe bet, though maybe a bit brittle for boning work unless you're careful.

For true utility work I like the basic, food service type stuff.

This is the one I got, mostly to tease the wife.

https://i.imgur.com/U6MZalP.jpg
View Quote

Ha.

If I was going for well priced user

Victorinox is always a good option

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

A rice drink called Horchata
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#43]
From the trailer park in the big woods

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#44]

I accidentally drove past the exit for the spam museum that I didn't know existed until I saw the sign for it a mile or two before.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Had to get something at Wally world and saw this on the way out. I like mustard more than most, I think, but WTF?

https://i.imgur.com/SMwamwb.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Haven't had any since I lived in CO, but damn was it good.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#47]

I've never lived anywhere with common poisonous/venomous creatures, so never had to worry about it either indoors or out. I mean, theoretically there are brown recluse spiders around here but I've never heard of anyone getting bitten. And there are supposedly prairie rattlesnakes on the western edge of my county, but again, never heard of an issue.
View Quote

Same for me. It's a concern for us in looking for a new place.

I have diplomatico in my dresser all wrapped up from my last move. I’ve been trying to work my way through a big ass bottle of tequila I bought at Costco. It’s absurdly large and I doubt I’ll finish it off before 2023.
View Quote

Not with that attitude you won't.

Just have a 2-3 second pull straight from the bottle when you get in the house for the day most days and it'll go faster than you think.

Never been to Venezuela, (or Central America), but I've seen extreme poverty in Africa and Asia before...
Most American's have absolutely no idea how lucky they really are.

View Quote

I experienced enough to know that we had it good just traveling to parts of Europe where the plumbing wouldn't handle tp being flushed. Lol

View Quote

It reminds me a little of the milk leftover from a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#48]

The key is a solid ginger beer if you're going to be Dark 'n Stormy. Drank a bunch of them in Bermuda.
View Quote

I've got the ginger beer. Rum is new territory.

Perhaps it is not obvious from my posts, but I am kind of a whiskey guy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#49]
Brunch buffet

https://i.imgur.com/qi6Bjj3.jpg
View Quote

where the hell did the avatar go?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#50]

https://i.imgur.com/SMwamwb.jpg
View Quote

how is it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3096
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top