Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 12:50:51 PM EDT
wtf [pissed] I hate insurance companies (and I work for one). My 2000 SV650 has been insured with progressive since I bought it. I have had zero accidents/tickets/claims, but they decided that they were going to raise my premium by $150. The bike is worth only a little more than half what I paid for it, why the change? Does anyone in CT have a line on more reasonable coverage? Thanks, maybe I'll just sell the thing and stick with my '68 Norton Commando instead. I really like the SV though, the handling is fantastic and the motor ( [;D] )is a lot of fun, it's a great bike. grrrr [pissed]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well that really sucks, is there a 'Helmet Law' in CT. ?

[img]http://www.dropbears.com/m/models/classic/images/norton/commando68.jpg[/img]

[b]1968 Norton Commando, US version as advertised by the importers, Berliner Corp[/b]

I always liked the Norton's.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
No, CT does not have a helmet law!
CDuarte, I also have Progressive and never had any claims and my Ins went up as well, I was pissed as hell and changed my coverage to bring it down to a more reasonable amount. The woman I spoke with said there have been a lot of claims in CT lately... who knows!

[:(]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I know how you feel, I checked with my insurance carrier (farmers insurance, been with them 15 years, have 3 vehicles and my homeowners insurance through them as well as my family farm) they wanted $100 a month to insure a new yamaha yzf-6R. I checked around and state farm insurance quoted me $10 a month and would drop all my other policies by %10. Farmers insurance would not match the quote so I switched for state farm.(my famers insurance rep. called my new state farm rep and cried like a little bitch because he was stealing his customers)

Check around, someone out there will be hungry for your money
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#4]
actually there is a helmet law in CT, but it only applies if you're younger than 18yo. Helmet laws are a waste of time though, and I fully support those idiots who are free to splatter their brains all over the pavement. They don't work anyway, since in all the states I've been in that have helmet laws, I've seen the  "biker" types wearing their plastic yarmulkes. [%|] That being said, I really like my Arai Quantum f, held gloves and vanson leathers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine doesn't come due untill November, so I'll see what happens there...

I'm also with Progressive, have 'liability only' coverage (Very cheap, old bike. This means nothing to drop), so if they shaft me they loose my business... Right now I pay (IIRC) $125/yr for 50k liability on an 82 Suzuki GS450. If I ever get enough into the bike to make insurance worth it, I'll pony up for collision coverage...

Single white male, touchy automobile record (a few speeding tickets), real old crappy bike and low coverage level... If the bike is destroyed, as it stands, I will have spent less than $500 on it.. Big o, less than the deductable if I was covered, I'll buy another bike...
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
You might want to try these guys.  I've used them for 8 - 9 years & every time I check their rates against someone else, they come out the cheapest:

[url]http://www.dairylandinsurance.com/[/url]

I've never had a claim, so I don't know how good they are in that regard.

I don't know if they will cover you in CT, though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well that really sucks, is there a 'Helmet Law' in CT. ?

[url]http://www.dropbears.com/m/models/classic/images/norton/commando68.jpg[/url]

[b]1968 Norton Commando, US version as advertised by the importers, Berliner Corp[/b]

I always liked the Norton's.
View Quote

nice pic, fortunately my norton has the european style handlebars, not those goofy chopper types. It also has rearsets.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks hardcase, I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You might want to try these guys.  I've used them for 8 - 9 years & every time I check their rates against someone else, they come out the cheapest:

View Quote

I have never been insured by dairlyand but I had a claim against a mototrist was insured by them. By far the biggest PIA that I have ever dealt with as far as insurance claims. As soon as I made a complaint to the State Insurance Department all my troubles went away :)
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I have never been insured by dairlyand but I had a claim against a mototrist was insured by them. By far the biggest PIA that I have ever dealt with as far as insurance claims. As soon as I made a complaint to the State Insurance Department all my troubles went away :)
View Quote

interesting....I called Dairyland for a quote and they were $100 more for equivalent coverage. oh well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]
post 9-11 insurance companies are seeing a boom the like of which has never been seen before.

A lot of them are seeing record profits. There is so much money pouring in that they can no longer funnel into their traditional means of holding it, like shopping malls, office buildings, and combined use subdivisions. They now have to start buying big ticket companies and taking the rest as declared profits.

The limitation in terror payouts, and the fact they got away with massive rate increases on everyone, from auto and home owners to doctors and accountants, means the good times are here for them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Fatal motorcycle crashes are at an all time high. Insurance rates are going to reflect that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fatal motorcycle crashes are at an all time high. Insurance rates are going to reflect that.
View Quote

that's because far more people are riding these days, unfortunately, many of them shouldn't be on motorcycles due to lack of skills and experience.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a CBR 929 RR insured by progressive.  I pay $2,000 a year.  No other companys will touch me.  Why? Because I am clasified as a single white male.  First I am not white, second I was with them with other smaller bikes for over 10 years now and it is still stupid.  The last ticket I had was over 6 years ago.  Count your self lucky.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

EXACTLY...and you can think the idiots that want to show off and kill themselves from doing stuff they don't know how to do.

I worked an motorcycle accident last year where the guy was showing off for his girlfriend and he had her get off the rear of the bike and says, "watch this."  Then he tears off through the parking lot doing a wheelie and out comes a vehicle in front of him and you can see his tire mark going up the side of the truck.  

If you are going to go do wheelies and stuff then go do it out in the country when no one is around but yourself to hurt.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I had Progressive Ins. as the underwriter for both of my sportbikes. They did the same thing to me last August - raised my premium by over 25% for each bike (and I have never filed a claim, and have had no tickets in over 10 years). When I inquired why my rates were going up, I was told the same story: " ... there have been a lot of claims". I was displeased, to say the least, and told them that they weren't going to make up their losses on my dime ... hold my premium steady or lose a good customer. They lost me as a customer! I changed companies and got even a better deal than the old premium Progressive was charging me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

EXACTLY...and you can think the idiots that want to show off and kill themselves from doing stuff they don't know how to do.

I worked an motorcycle accident last year where the guy was showing off for his girlfriend and he had her get off the rear of the bike and says, "watch this."  Then he tears off through the parking lot doing a wheelie and out comes a vehicle in front of him and you can see his tire mark going up the side of the truck.  

If you are going to go do wheelies and stuff then go do it out in the country when no one is around but yourself to hurt.  
View Quote

and it's not just the squids on their plastic projectiles, it's also all the aging baby boomer biker wannabes on their behemoth harleys that don't know how to ride and often crash when bar hopping on their scoots. [%|] gee, buy a harley and you can buy a "lifestyle" [%|], it's the crutch for the insecure. Oh and before I get slammed by the miniscule minority of harley owners who  actually ride more than a couple of hundred miles a year...you are just that, a miniscule minority. One of those wannabes insulted my Norton last year by calling it "Jap Crap". I don't care what you ride as long as you ride, I just hate all the posers out there.

edited for typos
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I live in Va and both of my bikes went up by $100!  No claims nothing.  They also told me they had a lot of claims!  Sounds like BS to me!  Jerks!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I feel your pain brother. Shopping around for quotes on my MC insurance is an annual chore with me. I tried the "you'r going to lose a customer" threat but they do not care. So I just go with the company with the lowest rate each year. Last year was the biggest attempted ass reaming so far. Geico raised my rate by 200%. No tickets or claims, AND I AM A MOTORCYCLE SAFETY INSTRUCTOR.

That rate increase was so outrageous that I just had to call and talk to someone. The customer service girl gave me the standart BS. When she was finished it was my turn. I asked why they did not send a jar of petroleum jelly with the new quote, and also asked if they might have someone who could come and hold a gun on me while I wrote out the check. I kept her on the line for nearly thirty minutes.

My advice is to shop around. They raise the rates thinking that you won't. But a few minutes on the phone or on the net will save you some significant money.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:49:24 AM EDT
[#22]
- HELL, I WAS BITCHING ABOUT $54 A YEAR!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I have no time for insurance companies, but as soon as they can point to statistics to justify raising rates they sure-as-hell do so. And, to that point, the death rates for motorcyclists has been going up for a few years due to two factors: a bunch more older guys riding Harleys to placate there midlife crisis, and the fact that a greater percentage of rider no longer wear helmets.

I believe we should have the right to choose to wear a helmet or not, but when more of us choose not to and the death and injury rates go up as a consequence then the rest of us wind up paying more for it. There is no free lunch!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:03:25 AM EDT
[#24]
want some cheese to go with that wine we did it to our selves it`s not the harley guy or the rice rocket it`s us didn`t bother to learn to ride !crash  dead find a f###in lawyer to grab the cash yea  I ride 25 years if it was a midlife thing i`d just buy more guns Ed
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

that's because far more people are riding these days, unfortunately, many of them shouldn't be on motorcycles due to lack of skills and experience.
View Quote

And because the bikes are much faster than in the past, more traffic on the roads in general, and the elimination of mandatory helmet laws in many states.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll be interested to see what happens when my policy comes due in September.  However, I have noticed that I've avoided rate increases in the past, even though I have had a major claim.  Then again, I have two bikes and my car through them so I might have a discounted rate.  

As for the gent that is paying $2K ... try to see if they'll requote you.  I'll looked at replacing my Honda Nighthawk with another Ducati (making two) and my total insurance for BOTH Ducatis is going to be under $1000, one of them being a 2003.

Another thing:  check to see if your policy is written under Progressive's "experienced rider" program.  I'm not sure about the details, but I know that when my policy was issued (five years ago), there was a significant rate reduction when I could prove that I'd been riding for longer than their threshhold.  I do have to be careful and not let anyone with less than 2 years experience ride my bikes though.  Just some thoughts from another CT rider.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top