User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2003 3:58:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First of all. This movie absolutely KICKED ASS. Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman were awesome, even though patrick is an anti and hugh is from australia they are both good actors.

I have a few questions and comments.

One, did any one interpret the strange fire like aura in the water as an allusion to being a phoenix, that in mythology symbolizes rebirth. I don't think that Jean Grey is really dead and there could easily be a third movie.

Was the scene at the end all in the presidents mind (a memory given to him by Professor Xavier)? Or did Professor Xavier suspend their minds and did storm really create the lightning? I'm under the impression that professorxavier did it with his mind but I believe it was left open to interpretation deliberately.
View Quote

1) In the X-men TV cartoon Jean Grey did 'become' pheonix...so, yes, I agree.

b) I want to believe they were really there. Didn't Storm's eyes go cloudy? The Prez wouldn't have needed that much detail if it were only in his mind.

I REALLY enjoyed the movie. Very few, if any slow scenes. Kinda suprised by all the killing, only because it could limit the kid audience. Wolverine kicked ass!!! When all those grenade pins fell in a pile on the floor was the perfect touch.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Edited fer spellin'
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear.  X-Men was my favorite comic book as a kid, I love all the characters, thought the first X-Men movie was great. Looking forward to this flick.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You cold blooded piece of ****!  Go ahead and just tell what happens in the rest of the movie.  I'm out delivering your groceries and everything else, get home and immediately some jerk has to spoil the movie before I get a chance to see it.  Geez, what can I do with people like that?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Phoenix in X-Men is a sort of "Galactic power", not like God exactly, kinda godlike though. Jean Grey got possessed by it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I think they signed all the cast to do 2 more movies after the first one did so well.

So I expect X-men 3 in a coupe of years
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine from highschool wrote the script to X2, and he said that Phoenix WILL be in X3.  

Also, Bryan Singer (the director of X-Men) stated in the commentary on the DVD that when Jean Grey used Cerebro her powers were increased, allowing her to become Phoenix in X2.  I'm pretty sure there will be no alien explanation for Jean's transformation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I enjoyed the movie, though it had holes in it you could drive a truck through.   I'll see the next one in the series.

Watching Mystique gives me a new appreciation for latex body paint.  Yummy!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw it tonight and thought it was just awesome.  Very entertaining flick, pushed all the right buttons.
Best line had to be:
"Just what are you a professor OF?"
"Art."
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I was hoping Wolverine would get lucky with the oriental babe.  I think they were really in the Presidents office because remember the documents from Strykers office were on his desk.
I think the movie was far better than the first one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Jean became the Phoenix, that's why in the end when the Professor was asked if everything was okay, he seemed to sense her, smile, and say "yes, I think it is going to be okay"

The existence of Striker's Brief on the Presidents desk indicates that it did happen for real.  Else, how did they get there?

Wolverine was great killing the JBT's.

Nightcrawler kicked ass.

What's the name of the female "wolverine"?  I don't recall her from my comic days.  BTW - I don't think she's dead either.

We'll see more of Collossus in movie 3, guaranteed.

Iceman sucked, but we'll see him in #3 since he's wearing the uniform now.

When is Rogue getting her powers?  And what?  (not the "suck & borrow your powers")

Mutants and Humans alike should want the Professor dead.  The ability to mentally kill everyone on earth is too much power for one man.  Even if he's not evil, he can be tricked again.

Fire(Pyro) -vs- Ice(man) in the #3
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i want to know why wolverine died when he got shot in the head. doesnt he have some metal alloy skeleton? supposedly indestructible once it solidifies.
View Quote

He didn't die.  The bullet went under the skin and stunned him, but didn't penetrate his skull.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Why did they have to carry Professor Xavier through the dam at the end?

Hell if I could "teleport" myself and others, my legs would dry up and fall off!

Great Movie!

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I never read the comics.... but...

Who was the big guy in the mansion, the guy who helped the kids?  Collossus?  Nice to know even he knows who to take orders from, Wolverine. [:)]

Why didn't iceman just freeze the water, or at least put up an ice barrier.  I suppose by reading these other posts, it was necessary for Jean to become phoenix.  

Magneto kicks ass with marbles. [:D]

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i want to know why wolverine died when he got shot in the head. doesnt he have some metal alloy skeleton? supposedly indestructible once it solidifies.
View Quote
He [i]didn't[/i] die, he was knocked unconscious.  Consider:  Even if your skull is coated in "adamantium" or whatever, getting thwocked in the noggin by a 9mm will bounce your brain off the inside hard enough to give you a concussion.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's the name of the female "wolverine"?  I don't recall her from my comic days.  BTW - I don't think she's dead either.
View Quote

Deathstrike I think (something like that)

When is Rogue getting her powers?  And what?  (not the "suck & borrow your powers")
View Quote

That might be tricky, in the comic she "stole" the powers of, uhhh, Ms. Marvel I think it was. Since she doesn't seem to exist in the movies they will have to find another way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes this movie was indeed awesome.  Finally Wolverine gets to kick ass, I was quite surprised at this in the movie.  Figured they would wimp it out for kiddies or something.  Guess they saw their audience wasn't so much little kids, but 20 somethings and that was EXACTLY what I personally wanted to see...  Heck, it was even JBTs that were getting shredded.  Couldn't get any better.  Wolverine was pretty heavily on the receiving end for the whole Lady Deathstrike fight though.  Damn did he get ripped up, that had me wincing...  But it was still cool.

In the cartoons and Comics, the Pheonix was something that possessed Jean if I'm not mistaken.  Big long story with intergalatic forces and stuff.  I get the feeling for the movies sake it will be something Jean awakened from within herself, and it won't have anything to do with the Shi'ar Empire or whatever aliens.  I'm sure most of the movie will be her inner struggle to control herself etc.  Should be cool if they do it well.

I have a good feeling X3 is going to be quite freakin awesome, this movie (X2) is making a pile of money and then some, they'll have plenty to spend on X3...

Oh yeah, and Magneto seemed much cooler in this one.  His prison escape was awesome.  He was taking shit apart with a couple freakin metal marbles, lol...  However, if the guard had that much metal in him, I think the scanner would have detected it.  His costume still looks pretty gay too, but oh well.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got back from seeing the flick, and wow, absolutely amazing.  I concur that Jean is coming back as Phoenix, they really WERE in the Pres's office, and I personally wanted to see more from Rogue.  She's such an awesome character, and Paquin is a perfect cast, who knows HOW they're going to get her some powers.  In the comics, she's evil before becoming good.  It'll be interesting to see how they plan on working that.

Question is, who are they going to get to play Magneto?  My understanding is that Ian McKellan died last year.  Anyone else hear about this?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Huh?  Gandalf/Magneto better not be dead.  Two huge movie series need him around still...

First I've heard of that, hope you're wrong.  Maybe you're thinking of the guy that was in the Harry Potter movie.  I think he died after the first movie but that wasn't McKellan I don't think.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't understand why Stryker didn't just use the original round thingy and built his own. It makes no sense. I wish Lady Deathstrike had more dialogue than the four words she had. Also the action was too fast and dark so I had a hard time seeing the fight sceen.

Overall, it was much better than the first movie and way better than any Hairy Pottery movie.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Huh?  Gandalf/Magneto better not be dead.  Two huge movie series need him around still...

First I've heard of that, hope you're wrong.  Maybe you're thinking of the guy that was in the Harry Potter movie.  I think he died after the first movie but that wasn't McKellan I don't think.
View Quote

i'm pretty sure the faggot is still alive and well
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why didn't iceman just freeze the water, or at least put up an ice barrier.  I suppose by reading these other posts, it was necessary for Jean to become phoenix.  

View Quote

yeah I was expecting him to do that also.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I never read the comics.... but...

Who was the big guy in the mansion, the guy who helped the kids?  Collossus?  Nice to know even he knows who to take orders from, Wolverine. [:)]

Magneto kicks ass with marbles. [:D]

View Quote

Yeah,that was Colossus! My favorite comic x-man!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#27]
HOLY CRAP!!![shock]
IAN MCKELLEN'S GAY!!!!
READ THIS!!!:Birth name
Ian Murray McKellen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Height
5' 11"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mini biography
Born May 25th, 1939, in the small town of Burnley in northern England, Ian Murray McKellen was born. His parents, Denis and Margery, soon moved with Ian and his sister Jean to the coal mining town of Wigan. It was in this small town that young Ian would ride out World War II. He soon developed a fascination with acting and the theater, which was encouraged by his parents. They would all bring him to plays, those by William Shakespeare in particular. The amateur school productions fostered Ian's growing passion for theatre. When Ian was of age to begin attending school, he made sure to get roles in all of the productions. At Bolton School in particular, he developed his skills early on. Indeed, his first role in a Shakespearian play was at Bolton, as Malvolio in Twelfth Night. Ian soon began attending Stratford-upon-Avon theater festivals, where he saw the greats perform: Olivier, Hiller, Gielgud,Richardson and Robeson. He continued his education in English Drama, but soon it fell by the wayside as he concentrated more and more on performing. He eventually obtained his Bachelor of Arts in 1961, and began his career in earnest. McKellen began working in theatre over the next few years. Very few people knew of Ian's homosexuality; he saw no reason to go public, nor had he told his family. They did not seem interested in the subject and so he saw no reason to bring it up. In 1988, Ian publicly came out of the closet on the BBC Radio 4 program, while discussing Margaret Thatcher's "section 28" legislation which would make the "public promotion of homosexuality" a crime. It was reason enough for McKellen to take a stand, and he has been active in the Gay Rights movement ever since.

Ian currently resides in Limehouse, where he lives with his current lover of 8 years, Sean Mathias. The two worked together on the film Bent (1997). To this day, McKellen works mostly in theater, and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth in 1990 for his efforts in the arts. However, he has managed to make several quite successful forays into film. He has appeared in several productions of Shakespeare's works including his well received Richard III (1995), and in a variety of other movies. However it has only been recently that his star has finally begun to shine in the eyes of North American audiences. Roles in various films,Cold Comfort Farm (1995) (TV), Apt Pupil (1998) and Gods and Monsters (1998), riveted audiences. The latter in particular created a sensation in Hollywood, and McKellen's role garnered him several of awards and nominations,including a Golden Globe and an Oscar Nod. McKellen Continues to work extensively on stage...solidifying his role as Laurence Olivier's worthy successor,having recently scored hits in the London productions of Peter Pan and Noel Coward's "Present Laughter".

[url]http://www.imdb.com/Bio?McKellen,%20Ian[/url]
------------------------------------------------

I did not know this...Just found out when I was trying to see whether he's dead or not.

Oh well, still a great actor.

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Nooooo! Gandalf AND Magneto are gay?!!?

[seinfeld]not that there's anything wrong with that...[/seinfeld]

That explains why Gandalf's so fond of those little hobbits. I always thought it was a paternal thing.....

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#29]
SONUVABITCH!!!  Damnit, I wish I hadn't found that out.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Who the hell cares if Ian McKellan is gay or not?  He's an excellent actor.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:05:27 AM EDT
[#31]
A few things:

1- Ian McKellan isnt dead

2- Yes he is gay, has been 'very' gay for a 'very' long time, It probably actually hurt his career back in his younger days because he was an activist gay, unlike many other gay actors.

3- Does it really make a difference?  He is Gandalf now, and quite frankly after seeing him in that role I cant think of another Actor doing it properly. And he has been an excellent Magneto.

4- As far as the LOTR is concerned he could be dead, all the live action stuff is already 'in the can' they are simply completing the CGI effects for the next movie now, they shot all three LOTR at the same time.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#32]
My brother read somewhere that Gambit makes a cameo in X2, I didn't see him. Did anyone else catch a glimpse of him?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I had never had much use for Nightcrawler, but he was pretty cool in the movie.
I smoked a couple smelly stogies waiting in line for the movie in honor of Logan.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My brother read somewhere that Gambit makes a cameo in X2, I didn't see him. Did anyone else catch a glimpse of him?
View Quote

His name is on file in the computer Mystique was hacking. That's it.

Yeah, I know McKellen's a good actor and all, but the image of Gandalf takin' up the rear is just...Disturbing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I've never read the comic books, so not knowing about Phoenix, I was not happy that Famke Jannsen was killed off, but it only took a few seconds to realize that I wouldn't have been the only guy not happy, and I told my wife she will be back. [banana]

A kid in front of me about all of 9 years old, turned to his mom while Jannsen's Grey was holding back the water, and said to his mom, "she's hot".

I looked at my wife, who looked at me, and said "amen to that"!.

The kid and his mom heard it, and laughed.

The one thing I was looking forward to was that dark humorous tension between Scott and Logan that was in the first movie.

Logan: It's me
Scott: Prove it
Logan: You're a dick
Scott: O.K.

I give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5

Jay
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, she will be back sometime.

And Iceman's powers probably aren't strong enough to freeze all that freaking water...

I wonder if the Blob will be in the next movie.
Some really strong character will be in the next one, somebody Colossus can fight.
LIKE MAYBE THE UNSTOPPABLE JUGGERNAUT!!!

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I think there was almost too much story to tell in the time allotted.  I enjoyed it, but it feels to "packed" for me.  As a sequel, it was good, but as a stand-alone film, it wouldn't have cut it.

Wolverine and Deathstrike fighting was awesome.  As mentioned earlier, there was suprising alot more violence than what I expected (not a bad thing, mind you.)

Rebecca Romeijn (however she spells her last name) was hot as usual, and it was great to see her without the makeup in the bar scene.  If I laying in a tent and she showed up, either looking like Famke Jansen, or even blue with glowing yellow eyes, I'd hit it!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Rebecca Romeijn (however she spells her last name) was hot as usual, and it was great to see her without the makeup in the bar scene.  If I laying in a tent and she showed up, either looking like Famke Jansen, or even blue with glowing yellow eyes, I'd hit it!
View Quote

This statement just got my nomination for Understatement of the Year.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I need help....i think Mystique is hotter than Jean Grey.  maybe it's just a "bad girl" fascination.  My question: was she just playing head games with Wolverine (hey, she's evil) or was she really trying to get some?  Mystique dotes on Magneto but it seems more of a father/daughter relationship.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

They mentioned a "cameo" in USA today on Friday. Like someone else said, I only saw his name on the computer screen.

Other cameros were Dr. Henry McCoy (Beast), Kitty Pryde (Runs thru walls),.. I forget the rest.

Was Stan Lee in this one with a cameo? He has been in all the Marvel Comics movies with a small cameo here and there...
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I need help....i think Mystique is hotter than Jean Grey.  maybe it's just a "bad girl" fascination.  My question: was she just playing head games with Wolverine (hey, she's evil) or was she really trying to get some?  Mystique dotes on Magneto but it seems more of a father/daughter relationship.

View Quote

That is a good question and something I saw debated a bit on AICN. I'm thinking she might have something for ol Wolvie, myself. Of course, Rogue seems to want a piece of him as well, but he only seems interested in Jean. (Talk about wanting what you can't have, and not wanting what you can...)

X2 Rocked. I'm disappointed that X3 will be Pheonix saga. I want SENTINALS!!!

TR
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#45]
As far as any of the women in this movie...  

[img]www.raceworx.com/funnypics/billlumberghidhitit.jpg[/img]

And that scream by that one girl... owwww.  That was loud.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Lady Deathstrike looked good enough to eat in the business dress and the dark glasses.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That is a good question and something I saw debated a bit on AICN. I'm thinking she might have something for ol Wolvie, myself. Of course, Rogue seems to want a piece of him as well, but he only seems interested in Jean. (Talk about wanting what you can't have, and not wanting what you can...)
View Quote

AICN,eh?  I like reading the reviews & spoilers, but the talkback discussion gives me a serious headache.  I can only tolerate so much fanboy geekspeak.  I agree the Wolverine has a bad case of wanting what isn't his & ignoring what he could have on a silver platter.  Given the choice of Jean, Mystique (blue skin & all) or Rogue...Jean gets the Bronze.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd take Storm...[banana]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#49]
[url]fark.com[/url] is doing a Photoshop contest:  "Unlikely mutants that could be in the X-Men"

Some good stuff.

[url]http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=514098[/url]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I enjoyed it. One forgotten cameo besides Beast  and Shadowcat was Jubilee, in the Prof's office in the end scene.

And hell yes, I demand to see The Unstoppable Juggernaut in the third movie.

J.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top