Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2016 4:26:29 AM EDT
Driving home tonight the backlight of my instrument cluster flickered. Ten minutes later it went completely off along with my cold/heat panel. I played with the rheostat, headlight switch but it wouldn't turn on. I stop at Wal mart to get a fuse because it was my first guess but when I came back and turned it on it started working again. Driving out of the lot it turned off again.

Now everytime I turn it on in my driveway it stays lit. Going through the owners manual I can't even find which fuse to change if it is just a faulty one, at this point I dont think it is. About the radio, when I turn the headlights off it is clearer on some stations, specifically some further away ones that I could hear before this. When I turn the headlights on it turns to static.

Quick search online some people are saying it is a loose wire. I'm planning on taking the cluster and light switch out tomorrow to see if I see anything. Any help I would appreciate a lot. I know basic stuff such as switching out parts. I never done electrical work.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive seen this in a few movies.

It doesnt end well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Dodge
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Aliens?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]
did you experience any missing time? Might have been anal probed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#5]
i think my buddies truck was doing the same thing same year too, I guess dodge has a recall for the issue but only on 2009 and newer so he got screwed. He said he came out one day to a dead battery so he jumped it and everything was fine. that night the truck was parked in his driveway and the radio and lights  kept turning on and off and the windows were rolling up and down. took it to a shop and they said his computer was dead. cost him 1500 irrc.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#6]
2008 Dodge, eh?

THIS ARTICLE was written in 2007.  About the time your car was being manufactured.

It's well-known within the industry that vehicles are deliberately sabotaged during labor dispute years.

Take a look at the main connector for the dash panel. I bet you can find something wrong there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#7]
You should be able to reach under the dash, where the light switch is, and "mechanically agitate" the wiring while the lights are on to see if you can repeat the problem.  A fuse is not going to be intermittent.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:20:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dodge
View Quote

That's all you need to know for the reason.
Pot smoking and drunken assembly line workers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dodge

I used to know some of the rich and vibrant people who made 747s in Hawthorne.

My God!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:14:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dodge
View Quote

The three worst vehicles I've ever owned were all Chrysler.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Might be the ECM
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
What ever you do don't take it to the dealership, I've got a 2016 that's been waiting on the gauge cluster for 2 months now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Dodge has a well known PCM issue that might be your problem. Quite expensive to correct with no guarantee it won't happen again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top