Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/2/2016 8:46:04 AM EDT
Segregated dorms for males 'who identify as Black' coming to UConn

The University of Connecticut is hoping that black males will graduate at a higher rate if they spend more time with one another, and is building a new residence hall to facilitate just that.

"It is a space for African American men to, one, come together, and validate their experiences that they may have on campus," he explained. "Number two, it's also a space where they can have conversation and also talk with individuals who come from the same background who share the same experience."
View Quote

Sounds like a space to foster/nurture racism to me.

EDIT: link fixed
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#2]
water fountains too??
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#3]
What was old is new again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Connecticut
it's full of brilliant intellectuals.  
Just ask them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
water fountains too??
View Quote

Exactly

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
So they want to segregate them? Full circle. Full fuckin' circle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Separate but equal?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]

I can see it now.

White boy with dreads:
Yo, what up my n!@@&r?

Group of young blacks:

What did you say you honkey cracka?

Then proceed to beat him senseless.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are trying to bring back bussing here after word got around that the inner city schools that do so poorly get more money per student than the higher performing suburban schools.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Like on the DL?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Wait...

Black people fought and died for getting the same treatment as white people, and now we are going to make black only dorms? Doesn't that violate equal housing laws? I hope UConn gets the shit sued out of them.

Edit-re-read the article, looks like this is an 'optional program.'
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#14]
do they want segregation or integration?

for the love of all that is Holy, pick one.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Diversity!

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#16]
     nm

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#17]
building a new entitled class
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#18]
And the wheels on the bus go round and round.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah.

Sounds like the return of Jim Crow.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#20]
hoping that black males will graduate at a higher rate if they spend more time with one another
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Connecticut
it's full of brilliant intellectuals.  
Just ask them.
View Quote

Yeah.

You can get a Masters in PUPPETRY there!

Hey, I have a master's in puppetry! Now I can get a good job at Starbucks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I identify as a black male college student. If I have any issues in that dorm, I'm suing UConn.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#23]
They will always want what they don't  have.

Fought for equal rights & desegregation and got them.

Now there is desegregation and want to be segregated again.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Rush Limbaugh said about a decade ago "The next thing they will want is separate drinking fountains..."

He was right, as usual.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#25]
What happened to this country???

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Seriously, won't having them all be with their kind just replicate the inner-city problems we have?

Idiocracy is here.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"lets end racism by segregating black people"

View Quote

Exactly. I'm tired of hearing about diversity when these people want to exclude everyone from everything they do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Is Rachel Dolezal allowed to hang with them in the dorms?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#29]
As a black man, this is dumb as rocks.  We are born into a predominantly white nation, which is run by predominantly white people (and 50% of FBHO).  It's best that you learn to work your way through and hopefully excel in this still very white nation.  Just as asking for a "white history" month I s completely retarded, so is asking for a dorm for black males.  This shit better be some form of structured study.  Consider me "triggered."
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't think that not spending enough time with other black guys is the problem causing a low grad rate.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I identify as a black male college student. If I have any issues in that dorm, I'm suing UConn.
View Quote

This is not allowed, that would make even more black guys identify as gay.  No ma'am can't happen.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#32]
"Haddiyyah Ali, a fourth-semester Africana studies and political science major"...

thank God we have more of these in the works, the economy was starting to crumble from the shortage
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I was at a small university in the northeast when the push to "desegregate" was underway.

All things old are new again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#35]
That's reverse-racism, I'm white so I wont be allowed? WTF

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Will they have whites only dorms too?  Naw that's racist.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
As a black man, this is dumb as rocks.  We are born into a predominantly white nation, which is run by predominantly white people (and 50% of FBHO).  It's best that you learn to work your way through and hopefully excel in this still very white nation.  Just as asking for a "white history" month I s completely retarded, so is asking for a dorm for black males.  This shit better be some form of structured study.  Consider me "triggered."
View Quote

So what is this power that is a barrier for you, that you have to "learn to work your way through and hopefully excel in this still very white nation" - I'm generally curious.
"Power" comes from jobs, right? Someone who doesn't work, doesn't really affect shit. If you wanted an entire workforce that was 50/50 (ignoring the other minorities), you would have a country of ~150 million white people unemployed, and that would be assuming that 100% of blacks were employed. Would that make it a non-white nation? Sounds terrific for everyone...
If you are going to call the US a white nation, you need to acknowledge that it is simply because of population numbers.
So yeah, it's a "white nation" if you want that to be the lens you look at things through.
But that's also why the good intentions crowd has put laws into place that specifically help anyone who isn't white (in the areas that matter most and can be affected by law, such as education and occupation).
These laws have made a lot of people weaker, that's just what lower standards and expectations do.
I agree with you, this type of shit (in the OP) is in the same vein of good intentions and will not actually make them stronger.

PS
- I don't want a white history month, I just want American history. Not selective history, just history.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Doesn't the logic of this completely go against the old logic for busing?

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So they want to segregate them? Full circle. Full fuckin' circle.
View Quote

The south wasn't racist, it was just ahead of the curve?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#42]
If white people are so awful and terrible, why are we the benchmark all others must be compared to?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#43]
"Isaac Bloodworth, a sixth-semester puppetry major, however, ascribed opposition to the plan as simply racist."

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Segregated dorms for males 'who identify as Black' coming to UConn

The University of Connecticut is hoping that black males will graduate at a higher rate if they spend more time with one another, and is building a new residence hall to facilitate just that.

"It is a space for African American men to, one, come together, and validate their experiences that they may have on campus," he explained. "Number two, it's also a space where they can have conversation and also talk with individuals who come from the same background who share the same experience."
View Quote

Sounds like a space to foster/nurture racism to me.

EDIT: link fixed
View Quote

Hahaha segregation as a way to prevent racism.  Libtards never cease to amaze me with the stupidity perhaps they can offer those black students shackles as a way to free themselves from oppression.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#45]
The BLM crowd is becoming such a pain in the ass the admin and students are probably looking forward to keeping them in one place that can be avoided.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Will the residents have to get branded with an Omega symbol to live there too?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So what is this power that is a barrier for you, that you have to "learn to work your way through and hopefully excel in this still very white nation" - I'm generally curious.
"Power" comes from jobs, right? Someone who doesn't work, doesn't really affect shit. If you wanted an entire workforce that was 50/50 (ignoring the other minorities), you would have a country of ~150 million white people unemployed, and that would be assuming that 100% of blacks were employed. Would that make it a non-white nation? Sounds terrific for everyone...
If you are going to call the US a white nation, you need to acknowledge that it is simply because of population numbers.
So yeah, it's a "white nation" if you want that to be the lens you look at things through.
But that's also why the good intentions crowd has put laws into place that specifically help anyone who isn't white (in the areas that matter most and can be affected by law, such as education and occupation).
These laws have made a lot of people weaker, that's just what lower standards and expectations do.
I agree with you, this type of shit (in the OP) is in the same vein of good intentions and will not actually make them stronger.

PS
- I don't want a white history month, I just want American history. Not selective history, just history.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS

Place holder while I respond.

You seem to have inferred something that wasn't or at least was not intended to be implied.  The nation is predominantly white.  Most professions employ predominantly white people.  It's best for a black person or any minority in the US to simply accept this. Come across a person (of any race) that is explicitly racist or otherwise discriminatory? I mean hey, we're obviously far from being a "post-racial" society...fuck them, keep pushing. Implicitly racist? Fuck them, keep pushing. It's certainly true that a person will generally perform better in an environment in which they're comfortable, but being surrounded by white people and expected to perform just as well shouldn't make you uncomfortable.  That is currently the norm and will be for at least 3-5 more decades.    
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#50]
I identify as a lion seal.

I want to be accepted as such!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top