Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/27/2015 10:31:35 AM EDT

Tiffany Deering does not fit the gruff, CB radio-wielding, macho-man stereotype of a trucker.

The 28-year-old brunette from Delaware has driven a heavy-duty truck with a 53-foot trailer for just more than a year now. She travels cross-country with her husband, John, delivering freight for Werner Enterprises. The duo, both military veterans, take turns driving 12-hour shifts, enabling the truck to legally move up to 24 hours a day.

When Deering pulls into a truck stop, people typically do a double take — including other truckers. "They're like 'Oh wait, you drive too?' And they kind of step back for a second and they're like 'Oh! Really?' and I say, 'Yeah, I drive.'"

Deering is part of a cultural shift that is tearing down the connotations long associated with the trucking industry.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/16/the-next-big-thing-in-us-trucking-female-drivers.html
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#1]
This will be hard on the lot lizards.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Chicks have been driving for many years.

I travel between coasts frequently and it's been 30 years since I've been "taken aback" by a female driver.

Is your information from the mid '80's OP?
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The article says in part:

"Confronting a severe shortage of drivers..."

Is that true? Is there really a shortage of semi drivers?
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I've hired famale drivers before. No real problem with the skills involved.

However.

The last one stole my truck and didn't think it was going to be a problem. Then wondered why I fired her.

Edit:

There is a shortage of OTR/team drivers. There was a general shortage of both A and B drivers during the gas patch boom. Since that's faded a bit, regional/local drivers are easier to find.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell them Large Marge sent ya!
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  There are a lot of short truck drivers.  They're called women.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes there is a shortage , long hours , weeks and months at a time away from home . low pay and dispatch to crappy places like CA and NYC .  There have been women drivers since the 80's , A bigger influx has been Europeans and other foreign drivers in the last 15 years
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I see woman truck drivers all the time, what makes me do a double take is when the female driver is young and good looking. 90% of the time the women drivers I see are either older or overweight.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've seen quite a few women truck drivers. Nothing new.
View Quote

Ive seen some really cute one's  too.  Wonder how much they get hooted and hollered at,  at the truck stops.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I travel between coasts frequently and it's been 30 years since I've been "taken aback" by a female driver.

View Quote

lol ... CNBC, the cutting edge of news.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tell them Large Marge sent ya!
View Quote

LARGE MARGE ???  Is there a theater near by ?
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#14]
W e
E mploy
R etards
N o
E xperience
R equired
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I see woman truck drivers all the time, what makes me do a double take is when the female driver is young and good looking. 90% of the time the women drivers I see are either older or overweight.
View Quote

Just like the male truck drivers, so it least it is consistent. Wonder if the females have more teeth.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not until the new BMI regs take effect next year.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
W e
E mploy
R etards
N o
E xperience
R equired
View Quote

S ure
W ish
I
F inished
T raining
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Not news. But I would like to see more of them. All the drivers I see at my work are fat disgusting dudes. I think the job demands offer little in the way of opportunity for healthy eating and good exercise. That cute girl driving today will likely be a sweat hog in a few years...

1DD
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#19]
How will this trend affect the T&A truck stop chain?
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

S ure
W ish
I
F inished
T raining
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
W e
E mploy
R etards
N o
E xperience
R equired

S ure
W ish
I
F inished
T raining

S wing
W ide
I t's a
F uckin
T railer

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will all be Somalis after that.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm all for women doing jobs dominated by men....as long as they pass the same standards!

Seems like they have to for this so I'm happy to see it. Unfortunately, with many other area they are not.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well this one fits the 90%.  Quite sturdy.

http://roadking.com/truckers/military-veterans-find-success-as-truckers/
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Will we see an Uptick in female serial killers?  I keed, I keed!

The bigger change in the trucking business is Muslim drivers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. Home every day or night,off on weekends. We have a Helluva time keeping drivers.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#27]
There are a lot more foreign drivers out there than women, and they are there to hold a steering wheel.  Most cannot back a trailer.  Others just fly down the interstate without a car.

Saw four Middle Eastern makes come out of Frieghtliner Coronado four months ago.  Truck was very clean on the outside; can't imagine what it's like inside.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Not sure why this is a story.  Women have been driving for decades.  

To the poster earlier, Somalis are getting into the industry but they're pathetic employees.  Their customer service is shit and their bullshit attitudes are costing their employers money.  I have zero trust in them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes. Home every day or night,off on weekends. We have a Helluva time keeping drivers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the job boards I've seen are littered with ads for drivers.  OTR, regional and local and they seem to be dangling a lot of carrots.  Home every night, no weekends, sign on bonuses, first year pay at $50,000+, we pay for training, etc etc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Female drivers have been in trucks for years, big deal.

The trend I'm seeing more and more of lately are recent immigrant drivers who speak little to no English.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Agree, this is a 80s or 90s article

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yes there is a shortage , long hours , weeks and months at a time away from home . low pay and dispatch to crappy places like CA and NYC .  There have been women drivers since the 80's , A bigger influx has been Europeans and other foreign drivers in the last 15 years
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit you don't gotta tell me about this. I work in a print facility where we get a lot of drivers from outside companies bringing us paper from all over. A solid 75%+ are ESL and I've had a few that spoke zero English at all. One I remember in particular spoke only Italian. Luckily he understood pointing and hand gestures. Most of the guys are Eastern Bloc, however.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I would say at least 5% of the drivers I encounter are women.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#35]
My parents neighbor and her husband have been trucking for 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Women driving is nothing new
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#37]
" />

Never heard of Large Marge?
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Why do JB Hunt drivers wear fingerless gloves?

Someone told them their girlfriend looked hot in cut-offs.      
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Probably.  Most of the big name fleets that would take a newish driver and get them some experience will work them to death and not pay them shit, so there ain't really a lot of motivation for people to drive.  And the desirable driving jobs generally require lots of experience that you aren't gonna get otherwise.

That and people are shit in general, so it's a matter of finding drivers who are clean, reliable, and won't wreck the company's shit.  A lot of times that in itself is easier said than done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.  Most of the big name fleets that would take a newish driver and get them some experience will work them to death and not pay them shit, so there ain't really a lot of motivation for people to drive.  And the desirable driving jobs generally require lots of experience that you aren't gonna get otherwise.

That and people are shit in general, so it's a matter of finding drivers who are clean, reliable, and won't wreck the company's shit.  A lot of times that in itself is easier said than done.

Mandatory drug testing knocked alot of drivers out of the industry.  

Its the same problem we had at my former employer.   Hard to find an employee that pisses clean and doesnt have a rap sheet a mile long if you aren't paying decent wages.   Capitalism at its finest.  

I'd bet the trucking companies that compensate their drivers well and dont try to work them to death have little to no problems finding quality drivers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Every truck that has a logo'd trucking company trailer I pass on the highway has a "we're hiring" sign on the back.

Also, agree with poster above who said female truckers are a common sight.

I know it's work under adverse circumstances, but from my uninformed perspective, it appears to be a field of employment that is still hiring and paying good wages.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Women driving is nothing new
View Quote

This, have a family friend who recently retired from driving.   She started in the early 70s
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#42]
I just hope they are not as funky as male team drivers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#43]
nothing new.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#44]
the question is will we see a corresponding decrease in the number of trucker bombs littering highways of America?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#45]
in before "My mother is a truck driver with bad knees" quote
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#46]
My sister has been driving big rigs for over 15 years now!  So what is the issue?  When I was training CDL drivers, the gals often did better then the guys.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Tiffany Deering does not fit the gruff, CB radio-wielding, macho-man stereotype of a trucker.

The 28-year-old brunette from Delaware has driven a heavy-duty truck with a 53-foot trailer for just more than a year now. She travels cross-country with her husband, John, delivering freight for Werner Enterprises. The duo, both military veterans, take turns driving 12-hour shifts, enabling the truck to legally move up to 24 hours a day.

When Deering pulls into a truck stop, people typically do a double take — including other truckers. "They're like 'Oh wait, you drive too?' And they kind of step back for a second and they're like 'Oh! Really?' and I say, 'Yeah, I drive.'"

Deering is part of a cultural shift that is tearing down the connotations long associated with the trucking industry.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I've seen a few young hotties driving OTR semis, but I have to believe that will get old in a hurry. They'll be spending their lives out on the road while their friends are at home, living theirs. And their chances of meeting some nice young guy out on the road are just about nil.  I think that many fleets are going to automatic transmissions for fuel economy, not because of female drivers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Probably 1/10 of the drivers I see going up to WY by my house are female.

None are hot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top