Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2015 5:32:50 PM EDT
link

Not very knowledgable on shotguns, I can shoot rifled slugs out of this, correct?

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes but don't expect rifle like accuracy.
Rifles slugs are designed to be fired from smooth bore barrels.  Just don't use full choke or anything tighter.
I expect you can get about 3" group at 25 yards maybe a little better or a little worse.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes but don't expect rifle like accuracy.
View Quote

Out of any shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.

Rifled slug is kind of a gimmick. The rifling does nothing for its ballistics. Think of it as a badminton birdie/shuttlecock where the weight is in the front.

Rifle sights vs a bead will help your accuracy with slugs. Some guns have a combo rifled bbl which allows sabot slugs, which are more accurate than Foster/rifled slugs.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get rifle like accuracy out of a Browning A Bolt slug gun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be best to get an 870 express with a 20" deer barrel

you can buy them used for a song

they are a good gun, especially the old ones

Remington makes a rifled choke for their remchoke barrels, even having just a few inches of rifling helps a lot

sometimes slugs shoot better with the rifled remchoke than a full rifled barrel

don't be afraid to buy a commercial type gun instead of the modern tacticool version

the old timers were very demanding consumers and a lot of those wood and steel guns are excellent
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can get rifle like accuracy out of a Browning A Bolt slug gun.
View Quote

If it has fully rifles barrel then yes you'll get better accuracy but no where near rifle like accuracy.  Rifled slugs never give rifle like accuracy.
Fully rifled barrels are a lot more accurate with sabot slugs.
I've shot Savage 12G bolt action slug guns with fully rifled barrels and using sabot slugs was able to get 2" group at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I already have the shotgun, I just wanted to shoot some slugs for fun and wanted to check first that they wouldn't blow my barrel.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy every brand you can find. Shotguns more so than rifles can be ammo sensitive.  Find some Breneke slugs .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Just make sure the rifling on the barrel twists the same way as the rifling on the slug, or they will cancel each other out and you'll be shooting knuckleballs.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd try to find an older Remington 870 Wingmaster Deer, preferably one marked Magnum for 3" shells.  I have 2 in left hand, and they are very smooth guns with much better fit/finish than the Express line of 870's.  

The sights on the deer barrels aren't too bad if you swap in Trijicon tritium sights, they offer a much better sight picture.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
My 18" 870 with ghost ring sights is plenty accurate at 100 yards with Remington Sluggers
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy several brands. Cut one of each brand open, and see how tight the slug fits in the barrel. If it's tight, it will have better accuracy than if it's loose.

Dad shot slug tournaments years ago. His smooth barrel Browning Auto-5 will shoot 1 inch center to center with Remington Slugger 1 ounce at 75 yards. That barrel outshoots a Hastings rifled barrel with sabot slugs. Like other people said, it's not "rifle like" accuracy, but a shotgun with the correct fit slugs will outshoot most people.

For the record, I get the best accuracy with Federal Truball.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Rather than cut and fit, I'd just go shoot a bunch of different varieties.  
Fortunately for me, my Nova likes the cheap Remington sluggers the best.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes.

Rifled slug is kind of a gimmick. The rifling does nothing for its ballistics. Think of it as a badminton birdie/shuttlecock where the weight is in the front.

Rifle sights vs a bead will help your accuracy with slugs. Some guns have a combo rifled bbl which allows sabot slugs, which are more accurate than Foster/rifled slugs.
View Quote

The "rifling" is just a set of ribs that swage down when shot through a choke.  Improved Cylinder chokes usually achieve the best accuracy.  The slugs themselves are shaped like a shuttlecock (weight forward, drag at rear) to provide stability.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The "rifling" is just a set of ribs that swage down when shot through a choke.  Improved Cylinder chokes usually achieve the best accuracy.  The slugs themselves are shaped like a shuttlecock (weight forward, drag at rear) to provide stability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

This.  Does nothing for accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I already have the shotgun, I just wanted to shoot some slugs for fun and wanted to check first that they wouldn't blow my barrel.
View Quote

Get a rifled/sighted  20" barrel. Mine is good for hitting clay pigeons at about 75 yds.

You can find mossy made used ones on fleabay for around $85.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

we're in slug / rifling opinion mode now

nothing can stop it
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

nothing can stop it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nothing can stop it

Ha, it is interesting reading nonetheless. You always learn something new.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes.

View Quote

The rifling on the slug is there to make the slug able to squeeze through any reasonable choke the gun might have without damaging the gun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Rem used to sell a smooth 20" deer barrel for the rem 870, it came with a rifled choke for slugs and imp cyl for buckshot

I'm looking for it, I don't see it for sale anywhere

maybe it cut into rifled barrel sales?

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The rifling is there to make the slug able to squeeze through any reasonable choke the gun might have without damaging the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

The rifling is there to make the slug able to squeeze through any reasonable choke the gun might have without damaging the gun.

the slugs that look like a giant air rifle pellet are not the rifled type

they are shaped like an air rifle pellet because that's the ideal aerodynamic shape

the rifled slugs are more like a little cup or barrel

the little vanes on the rifled slug are supposed to grab the air and make the slug spin a little

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

they are shaped like an air rifle pellet because that's the ideal aerodynamic shape

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

The post I quoted was about rifled slugs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]

I have a weaver detachable scope mount on my wingmaster and a 1-4x leupold shotgun scope

you probably don't really need it but WTF I had $400 and nothing to spend it on

works awesome

I got leupold QD rings because the weaver rings are just a little too chi-com for a leupold scope
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My 18" 870 with ghost ring sights is plenty accurate at 100 yards with Remington Sluggers
View Quote

What sort of groups do you get at that distance?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Not speaking for the above but I get about 6" groups at 100 yds with slugsters from a ksg with eotec
Eta good enough is a relative term kill a deer , yep
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Rem used to sell a smooth 20" deer barrel for the rem 870, it came with a rifled choke for slugs and imp cyl for buckshot

I'm looking for it, I don't see it for sale anywhere

maybe it cut into rifled barrel sales?

View Quote

I have one for my 1187, certified deathray with Brennekkes and good patterns with a superfull turkey choke.
Target shot at 100yds

Slug rattles down 21" of smoothbore, slams into 4" of rifling and creates magic.

It is also a one holer at 50yds with Fosters but groups open way up at 75, garbage at 100
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been thinking of switching to a Rifled Sabot barrel for years but always grab my inline, until last year I shot my M1 with a smooth 18.5" barrel with true balls at 100yds. I was getting 2" 3shoot groups. I am going to retest this month to confirm. I know with the right sabot 200yd shoots are possible with a rifled barrel buddy took a 10 point buck last year at 147yds using SSTs sabots.

My Rem Slugs will be in the 8" + range at 100yds.

Knights inline around 1-2"

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd try to find an older Remington 870 Wingmaster Deer, preferably one marked Magnum for 3" shells.  

View Quote

As long as the barrel has a 3" chamber you might be able to get away with 3" out of a 2.75 receiver. Only difference is the ejector. I had an old police wingmaster with a 3" chamber and non magnum receiver, worked just fine with 3".
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the record, I have NEVER found shooting slugs out of a shotgun was fun.  It hurts...ALOT as they kick like the proverbial mule.
Sighting in (or actually confirming zero hasn't changed since last year) at deer camp is always funny, as guys wince and moan upon shooting whilst everyone else busts their balls for being a wuss.  Luckily my smoothbore 870 takes only 1 shot to confirm zero.  My gun shoots great with plain old Winchester 2 3/4 rifles slugs.  They absolutely whap the snot out of deer too.  I have a problem shooting 3" magnums out of mine as the brass expands too much and makes ejection difficult.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yes.

View Quote
Not so much a gimmick as misunderstood, and confusing.  Some read that term and think it means those are slugs for rifled shotgun barrels.  Others read that and think the slug can be used in a smooth bore but will  make it act like it was fired with rifling i.e. be more accurate.

I prefer the term Foster slug.

But for the OP, yes, the 'rifled slug' aka Foster Slug is what people have been firing through their duck and pheasant guns for years when they are out hunting deer.  It's not as accurate as a rifle, it's not as accurate as a rifled shotgun firing sabots, but it is accurate enough for deer hunting. You should have no problem hitting a 3 inch diameter vitals spot at 50 yards providing you the shooter can stay steady.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3" or so
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
link

Not very knowledgable on shotguns, I can shoot rifled slugs out of this, correct?

View Quote

Yes but I wouldn't get a Remington 870 Express right now.
They are not the same as the 870s or the 870 Express of the last Century.
I don't know for sure what happened to Remington but I have seen some serious Remington crap on the range in the last few years.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Slugs that you should only shoot out of a rifled barrel will say it on the box like accutips.  That barrel will work with rifled slugs, but you'll spend a paycheck figuring out which on shoots well, and that is a loose bag depending on what you define well as.  A second barrel would be better, a dedicated slug gun would be best.  It's a shame H&R stopped producing their single shot because it was a steal for it's accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top