Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 8:48:53 PM EDT

I'm just curious how this pans out in layman's terms. I know we have some pretty knowledgeable folks in gd, maybe someone could explain and expound on this for me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_space
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I just read the Wikipedia page, and decided that I'm too old and too dumb to ever understand it.

Shit like that makes my brain sore, so I'm out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I lost it starting at "a four-dimensional manifold" from the wiki page

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Useless theoretical science.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
seems to be a way of modeling Space-time... such that the weird effects of Relativity modeled as the warping of space-time in other models are done away with.

... That's just my read on it from your wiki link.  I had never heard of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

seems to be a way of modeling Space-time... such that the weird effects of Relativity modeled as the warping of space-time in other models are done away with.

... That's just my read on it from your wiki link.  I had never heard of it.
View Quote

I stumbled on it tonight, having never heard of it before. Relativity, quantum mechanics, that sort of thing really piques my curiosity. I think - and I could be off - the ideas here theorize a way to pinpoint not only a physical location of an event but also a chronological "point" that adheres to a repeatable mathematical equation. I'm just hoping/curious if anyone here can maybe explain the idea in a more palatable way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that's how Gundams are fueled.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Paper/theory that got somebody a PHd, has no basis in provable anything except ancillary tings that "might have been proven" by other people who papers and got PHds.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Misread title, this isn't the Gundam thread I expected
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Your "time" perception is based upon your location in space.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Does this tie into the train/guillotine paradox someone else posted not so long ago? Also, does perception equal reality (as in quantum immortality/suicide), or does reality simply exist in spite of an outside witness?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Paper/theory that got somebody a PHd, has no basis in provable anything except ancillary tings that "might have been proven" by other people who papers and got PHds.
View Quote

Um, actually it's "PhD".
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
This is the stuff   LSD   was for.......
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah I've had trouble understanding it too. Although if you understand Minkowski space you can understand how objects falling into a black hole take a finite amount of time to fall in from their perspective rather than the infinite amount of time that they appear to take from the perspective of an external observer. The way I understand it, if an object's light cone doesn't intersect your worldline(sounds kinda dirty ) then you can't have an awareness of what happens to it. Then again I don't have a Ph.D in this stuff
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#16]
It says that everything happens at once,  but because of the distribution across 4 dimensions, we see it as a linear procession through time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It says that everything happens at once,  but because of the distribution across 4 dimensions, we see it as a linear procession through time.
View Quote

It has been said that "Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't happen at once."

The same sage also said "Death is nature's way of telling us to slow down."

Take them for what they are worth.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#18]
It's what warp bubbles are formed of.

Duh.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#19]

That model could exist in a constant hypersurface.

Time becomes a still body. No beginning, no end. Yet, neatly confined in its non-adiabatic function.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does this tie into the train/guillotine paradox someone else posted not so long ago? Also, does perception equal reality (as in quantum immortality/suicide), or does reality simply exist in spite of an outside witness?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to reverse the way you look at time and the universe, and light.

Think of it like this.  Light is destroyed the moment is created from it's perspective. It almost doesn't exist in space-time.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm just curious how this pans out in layman's terms. I know we have some pretty knowledgeable folks in gd, maybe someone could explain and expound on this for me?

View Quote

A) basically, this states that the "distance" of an event in space-time takes both euclidean distance and the speed of light in to consideration simultaneously.

B) So if you observe a very fast object on the planet Earth, you will see the event as you expect to see the event.

C) However if you observe the same effect at the event horizon of a black hole, while the even will transpire just as before as seen from its own reference frame, since you are "distant" from the event, it will take place much more slowly in your reference frame due to the distance being constantly created by the event horizon of the black hole.

D) for those of us who will never get above 1/2 the speed of light, nor pass by extremely dense objects, this theory adds only noise to Newtonian mechanics.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A) basically, this states that the "distance" of an event in space-time takes both euclidean distance and the speed of light in to consideration simultaneously.

B) So if you observe a very fast object on the planet Earth, you will see the event as you expect to see the event.

C) However if you observe the same effect at the event horizon of a black hole, while the even will transpire just as before as seen from its own reference frame, since you are "distant" from the event, it will take place much more slowly in your reference frame due to the distance being constantly created by the event horizon of the black hole.

D) for those of us who will never get above 1/2 the speed of light, nor pass by extremely dense objects, this theory adds only noise to Newtonian mechanics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How fast is neural system transfers?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Penrose diagram are more fun.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's a penrose drain to break it down for you!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I like turtles.
It seems appropriate right about now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, their Helium 3 fueled Minovsky reactors emit Minovsky particles.

You're welcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that's how Gundams are fueled.

No, their Helium 3 fueled Minovsky reactors emit Minovsky particles.

You're welcome.

I love geek jokes with an audience of one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top