Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2015 8:46:32 PM EDT
First, let me assure you (to your great relief, I'm sure ) that I have no aspiration to run for an elected political office.

However, I do have a question about how campaign funds may be used.

Suppose I'm a blue collar worker, like a mechanic. I make maybe $30,000 a year (I don't know if that's realistic, but presume it is for the sake of argument).

Now obviously, if I'm out campaigning for office, I can't turn wrenches and make money. And if I can't earn, I'm not going to be able to support my family.

So my question is this:

Are political candidates for office allowed to draw a salary from the contributions they receive, for the "work" they do while campaigning, and is there a limit to how much of those contributions may be used to fund that salary?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, they can draw a salary from campaign contributions.

Limited to the salary of the job they previously held or the office they are seeking, whichever is less.

This is from the FEC for congress and POTUS.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Well. Ok. I guess that's answered.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Um.....not exactly.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes, they can draw a salary from campaign contributions.

Limited to the salary of the job they previously held or the office they are seeking, whichever is less.

This is from the FEC for congress and POTUS.

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top