Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 8:26:53 PM EDT
My girlfriend wants to get into making some wooden craft type things out of MDF. I'm not really familiar with MDF, but I figure a scroll saw would probably be of use, and I'd kind of like to have one anyway.

So first off, is this the right tool? And second, anyone recommend a particular scroll saw?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
one bumparoo
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never cut MDF with a scroll saw but every other saw I've used leaves it a bit fuzzy.  Buy a scroll saw then talk her away from MDF.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
DeWalt 20".

Best scroll saw for the money unless you want to get an Excalibur

Is she looking at intarsia projects or something?   Marquetry?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is the Larue of scrollsaws

HEGNER

My neighbor has one and it is one bad motherfucker. Absolutely no chatter and takes about 1 second to set up.
I used to be an exhibit fabricator and he is a hobbyist. We do a lot of work on projects together. I often have him cut out 3D letters for sign jobs that I do. He does a lot of filigree work. He cuts crosses and sells them to churches and catholic bookstores. Very fine detail
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

HEGNER

My neighbor has one and it is one bad motherfucker. Absolutely no chatter and takes about 1 second to set up.
I used to be an exhibit fabricator and he is a hobbyist. We do a lot of work on projects together. I often have him cut out 3D letters for sign jobs that I do. He does a lot of filigree work. He cuts crosses and sells them to churches and catholic bookstores. Very fine detail
View Quote

One step up from an Excalibur.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
DeWalt 20".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
DeWalt 20".

Looks nice. More than I wanted to spend, but I'm willing to put down a little cash for a better tool.

Quoted:

Nah, nothing that serious. She really just needs to be able to cut out some simple shapes, circles, etc.. But I figure if we have the scroll saw we might get into more elaborate projects later.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

HEGNER

View Quote

Looks awesome, but way out of the budget.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Looks nice. More than I wanted to spend, but I'm willing to put down a little cash for a better tool.

Nah, nothing that serious. She really just needs to be able to cut out some simple shapes, circles, etc.. But I figure if we have the scroll saw we might get into more elaborate projects later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DeWalt 20".

Quoted:

Post a pic of something she is looking to make.  Might have different ideas to accomplish the task.

I own the DeWalt above.  I've used some cheaper models but the DeWalt is well worth the money.  Very stable, easy blade changes, and plenty of reach.  The next brands that are any better are twice the cost.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top