Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 8:25:44 PM EDT
We've had this discussion about different bands here and there over time but I figured I'd ask outright....Do you mix music and politics or rather do your political views make it to where some bands you won't listen to? Or is music just music?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Most bands are leftists, but if they keep politics out of the songs it doesn't really bother me. I'm sure as hell not going to listen to an album full of leftist propaganda.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Music is music.  Movies are movies.  Actors are actors.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most bands are leftists, but if they keep politics out of the songs it doesn't really bother me. I'm sure as hell not going to listen to an album full of leftist propaganda.
View Quote
I loved bands like Rage Against The Machine and while I still like a few songs here and there it's harder to like the songs knowing the band especially Tom Morello are hypocrites. Some bands I've stayed clear of completely but there are still some that although their views and mine don't match up I still like the music.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Politics and music would frequently mix at various points in history.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If I didn't the only people I would be able to listen to would be Aaron Lewis, Charlie Daniels, and Hank Williams.

ETA:  FFDP from the sounds of their music shares the majority of my political beliefs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
J.M.K.  Has both the music and the politics right.  It can happen.

There are some musicians who's music I love but would not piss on them if they were on fire.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Most bands that share my politics suck ass.  

Actually, ALL bands that share my politics suck ass.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The way I see it, most popular musicians get their start in their late teens and early 20s. At that age, most kids are really stupid, ignorant, immature, and think they know everything (no offense to anyone in that age range). So I figure it is highly likely that they will buy into leftist BS at that age.

I generally won't listen to a band if they are extremely leftist, but I still really like Rage Against the Machine since I listened to them a lot when I was a teenager and didn't know a thing about politics. I used to like 311 also, but haven't listened to them in years. I tried to listen to them again recently but stopped when I came across a song they did called "Guns are for pussies." Morons.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I grew up in the 60-70s.

Not much choice I guess.

Never took much influence from that but like the music.

Dylan, CSNY, CCR, The Doors, The Who, JMH, Etc.

But hey I love disco and soul music too. How should that affect me?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top