Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 7:53:10 AM EDT
Now that we've got a kiddo in the family, it's time to get rid of my wife's worn out little 04' VW Golf and upgrade to something a little newer.  She's loves the VW TDI SUV (Tureg I think?) or the Passat TDI wagon, but even the used ones are a small fortune.  We live out in the country, so something with AWD will really come in handy in the winders when we get lots of snow.  And it needs to be able to hold lots of gear for camping/hiking....a hatch or wagon would be great.

The only thing that I've really found that would work would be something like a Subaru outback, or one of the Suburu SUV type things....but in my area they are pretty hard to find used.  

Any other suggestions for something that is AWD, newer than 2010, that can be had on the used market for around $15,000 or less?  I think she'd actually prefer something in a "sport wagon" type body vs. an SUV...but the options are pretty limited I think.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking to trade for your wife we will need pics.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ha!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!

We're still going to need pics.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Kia Sportage
Honda CRV
Hyundai

not the biggest but about the price and reliable (stay away from kia Sorento)
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I think its time you need to get yourself a mini van
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 to Honda crv.  Mine has 218k on it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Anything except VW. They have horrible reliability issues.

I would suggest a Subaru.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anything except VW. They have horrible reliability issues.

I would suggest a Subaru.
View Quote

Horrible reliability? Really?  I know several people how have them, all with well over 100,000 miles on them, and they all love them.  

More info?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a fleet manager for a local government.
We have 8 Ford Escapes, V-6 AWD and not really had any major issues with any of them.
The one exception was we had an alternator fail on one of the older ones a 2006, to remove it requires the removal of the right front axle.
If I were looking and one could be had in your price range I wouldn't hesitate to consider it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Couldn't resist OP....it is GD after all.

Nothing beats a Skooby Doo in the ice and snow.

That said Honda Oddsseys are the best "family" vehicle on the planet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Honda CR-V AWD version would be perfect for you.
My wife got one when we had our first kid and she loved that car.
Plenty of space (for a small SUV) and very reliable...went 235k miles with no problems.
It handled muddy roads very well.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#12]
We needed the same thing in 2013. Replaced a 2000 Accord with a shot transmission and 200K miles. The car dealer had a 2008 Land Rover LR3 with 56K. My wife wanted nothing to do with it until she drove it, then she refused to look at anything else.

Pro:
Seats 7
Loads of storage space
Rides nice
Handles well
Looks good
Lots of amenities
Not too many maintenance issues
Got me laid

Con:
16 MPG
Premium fuel
Repairs aren't cheap

I had to take it to a dealer for a window issue - it wouldn't close all the way. They gave me a loaner supercharged AWD Jaguar sedan worth four times what the LR was worth.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Scooby Forester.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now that we've got a kiddo in the family, it's time to get rid of my wife's worn out little 04' VW Golf and upgrade to something a little newer.  She's loves the VW TDI SUV (Tureg I think?) or the Passat TDI wagon, but even the used ones are a small fortune.  We live out in the country, so something with AWD will really come in handy in the winders when we get lots of snow.  And it needs to be able to hold lots of gear for camping/hiking....a hatch or wagon would be great.

The only thing that I've really found that would work would be something like a Subaru outback, or one of the Suburu SUV type things....but in my area they are pretty hard to find used.  

Any other suggestions for something that is AWD, newer than 2010, that can be had on the used market for around $15,000 or less?  I think she'd actually prefer something in a "sport wagon" type body vs. an SUV...but the options are pretty limited I think.
View Quote

2009-2012 Rav4

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/639090550/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/637709878/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/634835082/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/635748759/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/637885227/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/640734627/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/636957762/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/634835082/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/116535609/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/638005818/overview/

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
+1 to Honda crv.  Mine has 218k on it.
View Quote

Also just picked up a 2012 crv awd a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#16]
5-door Impreza.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am a fleet manager for a local government.
We have 8 Ford Escapes, V-6 AWD and not really had any major issues with any of them.
The one exception was we had an alternator fail on one of the older ones a 2006, to remove it requires the removal of the right front axle.
If I were looking and one could be had in your price range I wouldn't hesitate to consider it.
View Quote

I saw a metric ton of the Escapes for sale in the 130k mile range. They do apparently last. It was hard finding the AWD models down here thought. Most of the ones I found had crashes on their carfax and the one I test drove not only had a crash repair but also got crunched by the dealership when they were taking it off the truck. It drove nice though, felt very much like an SUV.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Newer Mazda CX5.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Subarus hold their value like crazy right now.

You're not going to find a decent 2010+ for $15k unless you're OK with 80k+ miles...and even then...it might be difficult.

Same thing with a Honda.

Hyundai's AWD system kinda sucks; they are not that great in the snow IMHO compared to other manufacturers.

You might find a used Ford Escape or older Nissan Rouge for that money.

What I do is lease my wife a new AWD SUV every couple years. She pays it and its usually around ~$200/month.

No worries about wrenching, buying tires, brakes, etc... If something goes wrong, she takes it in and gets a loaner.

It's just easier that way and the savings seems pretty minimal vs. buying something used and then putting time and money into it later

She actually just got a new Nissan Rouge last week; she paid extra and got the premium package with nav and everything...she's almost at $250/month now, but at least she'll quit getting lost in the city
Speed
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're not going to find a decent 2010+ for $15k unless you're OK with 80k+ miles...and even then...it might be difficult.
Same thing with a Honda.

Hyundai's AWD system kinda sucks; they are not that great in the snow IMHO compared to other manufacturers.

What I do is lease my wife a new AWD SUV every couple years. She pays it and its usually around ~$200/month.
No worries about wrenching, buying tires, brakes, etc... If something goes wrong, she takes it in and gets a loaner.
It's just easier that way and the savings seems pretty minimal vs. buying something used and then putting time and money into it later

She actually just got a new Nissan Rouge last week; she paid extra and got the premium package with nav and everything...she's almost at $250/month now, but at least she'll quit getting lost in the city

Speed
View Quote

A decent garmin gps costs $200-250.  WAZE is free on your smartphone.  And of all the vehicles on the market, she picked a Rogue?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A decent garmin gps costs $200-250.  WAZE is free on your smartphone.  And of all the vehicles on the market, she picked a Rogue?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same thing with a Honda.

Speed

Well, the Nissan lot was at the end of a 3 month retro program which they may or may not hit, thus, the price.

I wasn't getting her a Mazda or honda for under 300/month(I checked)...let alone with navigation.

She uses her phone, but still gets lost, so...for the extra $15/month or whatever over the regular SV package, I wasn't going to argue with her. As long as she's happy.

Also, the nav pops up on the dash as well as the screen and the 5 cameras and lane change sensors are pretty cool

IIRC she's $248/month on a 12/36 lease with nothing out of pocket but the trade equity on the last lease.

I'll keep an ear out and when another crazy lease deal comes along, we'll trade it in...forever and ever

Speed

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, the Nissan lot was at the end of a 3 month retro program which they may or may not hit, thus, the price.    I wasn't getting her a Mazda or honda for under 300/month(I checked)...let alone with navigation.

She uses her phone, but still gets lost, so...for the extra $15/month or whatever over the regular SV package, I wasn't going to argue with her. As long as she's happy.
Also, the nav pops up on the dash as well as the screen and the 5 cameras and lane change sensors are pretty cool

IIRC she's $248/month on a 12/36 lease with nothing out of pocket but the trade equity on the last lease.
I'll keep an ear out and when another crazy lease deal comes along, we'll trade it in...forever and ever

Speed

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same thing with a Honda.

Speed

Well, the Nissan lot was at the end of a 3 month retro program which they may or may not hit, thus, the price.    I wasn't getting her a Mazda or honda for under 300/month(I checked)...let alone with navigation.

Speed

When I was looking, I saw a ton of Rogues for sale which told me that no one wanted their Rogue after they bought it. Also saw the it uses a CVT tranny. I decided I didn't want their used Rogues either.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I got a nice 2002 Passat 4motion wagon that has been good so far.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!

Sofa King old.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
When I was looking, I saw a ton of Rogues for sale which told me that no one wanted their Rogue after they bought it. Also saw the it uses a CVT tranny. I decided I didn't want their used Rogues either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same thing with a Honda.

Speed

Speed

I don't really have any brand loyalty, but Nissan has some pretty good lease deals; thus, a lot of used nissans will pop up, lowering the resell value.

That said, everyone is switching to cvt and dual clutch trannies to meet the new eps guidelines. It's the same reason why it's so hard to find a v8 car. It is what it is.

Speed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top