Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 11:20:25 PM EDT
So slight backstory, looking at a new ride. Looking for "offorad" use so thinking Subaru Crosstrek/Forester or a Mazda CX-5. No rock crawling here, no need for it.

That said, whether you are on a bike or a big rig, some times its good peace of mind to have some recovery gear. Browsing some lightweight options and came across a video that has a really nifty portable winch/mount. I love the execution of it, but I can find no info anywhere. I suspect it might be a custom job.

Video

3:15 is where the winch assembly starts, with a close up of the process at 3:53.

Has anyone seen a winch mount that attaches to the tow recovery point of a vehicle like that? Everything I can find, or that I'm aware of is a receiver mount.

Any info would be great!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like some harbor freight crap.

Just make one.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just make one.
View Quote

Yeah a welding metal shop could throw one together pretty damn quick I'm sure.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
It's nothing more than some fancy shackles and pins mounting to factory recovery points?

I don't get it?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks like some Das harbor freight crap.

Just make one.
View Quote

Corrected
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just make one.

Pretty much, but why wouldn't you just make a mount for a rear hitch?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just make one.

If you were closer I would do it for a 6 pack.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Just get a Warn portable winch plate and some chain and shackles.  Way more versatile.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's nothing more than some fancy shackles and pins mounting to factory recovery points?

I don't get it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't get it?

gives you a straight pull from a larger angle, you aren't relying on the fairlead or hawse to get the line on the drum.

Quoted:
I've never seen a recovery point recessed into the plastic of a bumper.

very common. Look for bumpers with a little square panel in it - that's what it is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't get it?

View Quote

To be specific, the plate the winch is sitting on seems to be unavailable anywhere. Every winch mount plate is either permanently affixed to a vehicle or is specifically designed to mount to a tow hitch.....ie...a class III receiver.

I thought it was interesting to see one which didnt mount to only a tow hitch.

ETA:

And as stated above I prefer that method as it gives you a straight pull from the winch.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To be specific, the plate the winch is sitting on seems to be unavailable anywhere. Every winch mount plate is either permanently affixed to a vehicle or is specifically designed to mount to a tow hitch.....ie...a class III receiver.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get it?

yup. the market is criminally underserved. I mostly use my hi lift and a come along with some line for recovery.

couple straps to set a pick and you should be able to pull straight even if you're off angle
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its a screw in job. To keep the lines of the vehicle all nice and pretty for Sally Soccermom they have removable tow hooks. I suppose for pulling out of a snow bank it works fine. I dont think I'd trust it if I had one of those CUVs ass deep in some thick Ole Miss gumbo though. Especially considering you find them on unibodys. I know, unibody is a hell of a stiff body, but I just dont trust yanking on one like I do a frame. Not by a long shot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Some newer vehicles have a small hatch in the back bumper. You open it, and screw in a big eye bolt, and get a solid connection to the unibody.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]

doesn't support the winch. pain in the ass to use.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#17]

This, but you need several good recovery points on both ends to tie to. I have a like 1500 lb rated one that hooks over a trailer hitch ball.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've used it quite a bit, and I disagree about it being a pain.  It's been pretty damn handy in my experience.

YMMV, obviously.  

The other point is that's an already fabbed plate that would need minimal additional work to come up with the system shown in the video.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't worry. If you get the Subaru a couple big strong lesbians will help you get it unstuck if it comes to that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some newer vehicles have a small hatch in the back bumper. You open it, and screw in a big eye bolt, and get a solid connection to the unibody.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thus not "recessed". That Lesbaru's tow hook was recessed inside the profile of the bumper.

Also that looks like an ATV winch
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't worry. If you get the Subaru a couple big strong lesbians will help you get it unstuck if it comes to that.
View Quote

If it comes to that I'll just get the truck out.

Its the long walk back to the truck that concerns me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ah I only off road with real ladder framed SUV's and trucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a screw in job. To keep the lines of the vehicle all nice and pretty for Sally Soccermom they have removable tow hooks. I suppose for pulling out of a snow bank it works fine. I dont think I'd trust it if I had one of those CUVs ass deep in some thick Ole Miss gumbo though. Especially considering you find them on unibodys. I know, unibody is a hell of a stiff body, but I just dont trust yanking on one like I do a frame. Not by a long shot.

Me too.

But I sure as fuck dont need lifts, mud tires and lockers to go get the kids from school and pick up the mail. And I'd sure like better than 3 miles to the gallon to do it! Well, you get the idea. A good CUV/AWD rig would meet 99% of my life requirements. For the 1%.....Well, I have the truck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I would guess it something like this.  http://www.amazon.com/WARN-63172-Multi-Mount-Winch-Mounting/dp/B000BQQQUQ.

It was a Warn winch, but probably an ATV winch.  

The part that hooks to the recovery point might be a custom job
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Me too.

But I sure as fuck dont need lifts, mud tires and lockers to go get the kids from school and pick up the mail. And I'd sure like better than 3 miles to the gallon to do it! Well, you get the idea. A good CUV/AWD rig would meet 99% of my life requirements. For the 1%.....Well, I have the truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.

You going to winch yourself out of the school or mall parking lot?

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
My car has a knock-out you have to remove, then screw in the supplied eyelet for recovery. And, oh yeah, it's only in the back bumper.

But, FPNI, just make one. Hell while you are at it OP, use a 2" receiver to make the winch mount then put a 2" receiver hitch in front and back of the vehicle for ultimate versitility.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#28]
If one spent that much time rigging up around here 20 jeeps would crawl over you
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

Pff you wish. Have you seen the local park? Shit, half the parking lot isnt even paved. ITS NOT PAVED!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top