Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 5:04:07 PM EDT
Had to renew my fit test today and haul Bob the dummy around for another h2s cert.

The tech let me get a whif of the little smoke/powder thingy they use to check the mask fittment.  
What is this stuff?  It's weird as hell.   It's like CS gas for half a second, then gone.  

I kinda want some for pranks.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I don't want any that bad.
I have had 5-6 of these tests but the seal has always been good.
One guy in the class did not put his mask on right and the smoke floored him.   That's when I got interested.  
Instant coughing but that was it.  Gone real quick.     The shit would probably be good for riot control.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm.  NIOSH does not feel that irritant smoke is completely safe.  
Guess using it for pranks is a no-go.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Bitrex is what we use for N95 fit test.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
That's too much work for a H2S cert.

We just have to sit through a 30 minute or so long test for H2S awareness.

Then you mask up and hook into a machine for the fit test.

No hauling Bob around or white smoke.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One guy in the class did not put his mask on right and the smoke floored him.   That's when I got interested.  
Instant coughing but that was it.  Gone real quick.     The shit would probably be good for riot control.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

with us they used Banana Oil...if you dont smell it, your fit is good
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
just a little stannic chloride, pretty old school now to check for respirator fitment, but it has the advantage the most people cannot cheat the fit check.  We now use TSI portacounts as they tend to give us am quantitative way to measure fitment.
you can buy it from most safety suppliers but is a touch pricey for a prank irritant smoke
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's too much work for a H2S cert.

We just have to sit through a 30 minute or so long test for H2S awareness.

Then you mask up and hook into a machine for the fit test.

No hauling Bob around or white smoke.
View Quote

We had to test with two masks today.  
I usually just do the test with a Scott  AV-2000 but today we also had to test with the draeger fps 7000 IIRC.

We also had to transport 200lb Bob using single saver and 4 person sked stretcher techniques.  
That was also a first.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have used the banana and bittrix (sp?) methods.
You can't lie with this smoke  though.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had to renew my fit test today and haul Bob the dummy around for another h2s cert.

The tech let me get a whif of the little smoke/powder thingy they use to check the mask fittment.  
What is this stuff?  It's weird as hell.   It's like CS gas for half a second, then gone.  

View Quote

They don't check that you respond to it before they try it with the mask on?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess not normally.  
After reading the MSDS on the stuff it does not sound like something you want to spread around willy Nilly.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bitrex is what we use for N95 fit test.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#14]
We do quantitative fit testing where I work.  Works really well but the Drager Panorama Nova's are REALLY uncomfortable while you're hooked up.  They're supposed to be a pure joy wit an air supply though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We do quantitative fit testing where I work.  Works really well but the Drager Panorama Nova's are REALLY uncomfortable while you're hooked up.  They're supposed to be a pure joy wit an air supply though.
View Quote

I like Scott masks.  The net is more comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:27:48 AM EDT
[#16]
It has been about 9 years since I had to wear an scba and for some reason my department thinks that I am good to go.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I just breathe in to my mask which is connected to a computer via a tube and some other contraption in the middle. Follow the on screen instructions for 10 minutes and then it tells me if I pass. I like the feeling of a medium Scott mask but the machine tells me I'm a large every year. That's all I know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top