Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 9:11:36 PM EDT
. . . put the least amount of filth on your wheels?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Ceramic.  (to clarify, ceramic is best)

The cheap ones are the worst.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=88
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Ceramic. I made the switch from metallic pads and the nasty, heavy reddish filth is gone. Only a slight gray dust that comes off fairly easily.

You might have to watch how you drive after a cold start. Ceramic pads need a little warming up before they work 100%. You'll be fine as long as you don't jump in your car and immediately start driving like speed Gonzales.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#3]
callahan auto has some good ones
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And you can stick your head up a bulls ass to get a look or take the butcher's word for it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ceramic. I made the switch from metallic pads and the nasty, heavy reddish filth is gone. Only a slight gray dust that comes off fairly easily.

You might have to watch how you drive after a cold start. Ceramic pads need a little warming up before they work 100%. You'll be fine as long as you don't jump in your car and immediately start driving like speed Gonzales.
View Quote

Definitely not recommended for most arfcommers then, as most here drive like Speedy Gonzales and it would also affect their brake checking......
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't ceramic pads need to be hot to work?

Never mind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ray Zalinsky begs to differ........
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Ceramic.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And you can stick your head up a bulls ass to get a look or take the butcher's word for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahhhhh the age old question...........how to cure the front blacks..........wash your car more often .........next will be....I got ceramics now I have squealing in the front....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ahhhhh the age old question...........how to cure the front blacks..........wash your car more often .........next will be....I got ceramics now I have squealing in the front....
View Quote

I have it washed every Tuesday when the hard working and affable Mexican comes to the office.

I was just curious.  Maybe I'll need pads before I sell this pickup.  Haven't for the last three.

I'm deaf, don't give a shit if they squeal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Akebono Ceramic is one of the easiest to find and one of he best. Tire rack does stock them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#14]
get ceramic.
last longer, less mess. more then worth the price
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
get ceramic.
last longer, less mess. more then worth the price
View Quote

At ~$70 for all four corners on Amazon, that's fucking cheap.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I need to put some Performance Frictions on my rear brakes. The previous owners cheaper out, I'm guessing.

Pretty sure the fronts are ceramic, they grab better after a couple hard stops.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Hawk Performance makes good brake pads that are low dust.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think I need to put some Performance Frictions on my rear brakes. The previous owners cheaper out, I'm guessing.

View Quote

Haha, I made my first hard stop in years the other day just down the street.  Some kid ran out into the street from behind a parked car.  My sister was with me and she laughed, "Shit, I thought that only happened in driver's training."  And that was ~45 years ago for both of us.  I was only doing about 20mph, but threw out the anchor.  We had a good laugh.  Scared the shit out of that kid.

My brother was in the back and asked, "What?  What happened?"

I told him to shut the fuck up.  Oblivious airline pilot.   Your life may be in his hands.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Ceramics tend to give less brake dust, but on vehicles that don't have ceramic as the OE material, I have found they tend to blue and warp the rotors faster.
I had one instance (and it was always on the dodge caravans) where the more expensive ceramics, would barely slow the van down without some excessive pedal pressure!

I now recommend whatever the OE material is at my shop.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Haha, I made my first hard stop in years the other day just down the street.  Some kid ran out into the street from behind a parked car.  My sister was with me and she laughed, "Shit, I thought that only happened in driver's training."  And that was ~45 years ago for both of us.  I was only doing about 20mph, but threw out the anchor.  Scared the shit out of that kid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, I made my first hard stop in years the other day just down the street.  Some kid ran out into the street from behind a parked car.  My sister was with me and she laughed, "Shit, I thought that only happened in driver's training."  And that was ~45 years ago for both of us.  I was only doing about 20mph, but threw out the anchor.  Scared the shit out of that kid.

Oh, I know right where my ABS starts to kick in.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://akebonobrakes.com/pro-act
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Wagner Thermo-Quiet

They make both ceramic and semi-metallic.
Even the SM ones are very clean.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Ceramics tend to give less brake dust...tend to blue and warp the rotors faster.

View Quote
That's been my experience as well.  

Nowadays I just buy factory OEM pads.  Toyota OEM pads are available on Ebay for about $40 delivered.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#24]
oh for the love of god....Install all 4 corners correctly and there will not be an issue regardless of whether they're metallic or ceramic.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Definitely not recommended for most arfcommers then, as most here drive like Speedy Gonzales and it would also affect their brake checking......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I added the warning

I should add that another reason that I switched was the god awful screeching that I got with the stock metallic pads. Living so close to the beach causes instant rust on the surfaces and I used to wake everyone up late at night. No screeching with ceramic pads in front and organic shoes in the rear.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wagner Thermo-Quiet

They make both ceramic and semi-metallic.
Even the SM ones are very clean.

View Quote

This.

Hawks are excellent too.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#27]
The kinds which suck.

Get your wheels coated with Opti-Coat Pro and hose them off periodically.  Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner for the win also.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://akebonobrakes.com/pro-act

I put these on a CR-V.  Good stopping power and pretty much no dust.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#29]
the best brake pads produce the most dust and noise......hawk dtc 70 or pfc 01 compound if you can find them ......pfc 11s suck......yeah you street car folk won't no what I'm saying....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Pads with poor(er) braking effectiveness.

I'm serious.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Better stopping pads produce more dust and noise..........fact
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#32]
The same car you buy in the u.s sold overseas.comes with different pads and stops faster because there not anal about brake dust and noise.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Better stopping pads produce more dust and noise..........fact
View Quote

Yep, I just wash my wheels more often.

I sold a few sets of Akebono ceramics.  Ended up replacing them with OE pads after a month.  They did not work for shit when cold.

I want my street brakes to work RFN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top