User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/29/2015 2:05:49 PM EDT
Are they well made? Complaints?

What about comfort and ride quality?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't you have to ride those things side saddle so your skirt doesn't blow up and your panties show?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have known the first response would be a gay comment.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a family member that has one.  It's an RS-S.  He bought it new a year or two ago.  I helped him remove/install the rear wheel when he got a new tire.  

It seems very nice as far as build quality, but it feels like I'm riding a 4-wheeler at speed.  I much prefer a traditional motorcycle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Don't do it. Yes they are well-made and comfortable but just don't. Pick a motorcycle or a car.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Only people I have seen riding them are middle-aged, overweight women.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
People who think those things are "safer" than motorcycles
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats who im buying it for. I get to be a chauffeur.   Ive never owned a bike and im not really into them. But the wife wants a mobile throne.  Its either the CanAm or a Harley Trike.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I test rode one about 6-7 years ago. It was before the "refinements", it had a two bros exhaust. It was loud and pretty quick, very odd to low corner steer. Was neat, but not 15k neat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Get yourself a slingshot or something fun and retain your man card.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't you have to ride those things side saddle so your skirt doesn't blow up and your panties show?

View Quote

Is that an option?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Somebody here get neutered?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Just no

Just no
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thats who im buying it for. I get to be a chauffeur.   Ive never owned a bike and im not really into them. But the wife wants a mobile throne.  Its either the CanAm or a Harley Trike.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

C) A new female that doesn't demand stupid shit.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Goldwing Trike FTW

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I hear the are pretty good but it feels weird to drive one because they don't lean.

I have an issue with the price. I could buy 3 to 4 Really nice used bikes for the $$$.

You could have a dirt bike a street bike and an ADV bike for that kind of cash.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Middle aged, overweight lady in my office has one.  She hasn't had any real issue that I know of.  She is in this spyder "gang" that goes on rides/meets and by the sounds of it, they all refer to their backwards three-wheelers as "bikes" and it makes me grit my teeth.

Every Monday morning she asks me if I got "any riding in"(MX&XC), then proceeds to tell me about an epic adventure she and her gang went on with all "the bikes".
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never ridden one, I prefer two wheels when it comes to motorcycles.

I have a friend that owns one of the first generation CanAms, he likes it.

It appears to be well built and high tech but it just looks silly to me.

If I had no choice but to have three wheels, I'd go for the trike (which looks less silly).

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you or her had a motorcycle safety course?

Do that first, it may alleviate her concerns and give her some confidence.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#20]
It's good in snowmobile form.

Wouldn't want the version with tires.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Any kind of trike is pointless. They don't turn for shit (tippy) and look ridiculous, especially the Goldwings and Harleys. If you can't ride a two-wheeler properly (i.e. lean it), then get a convertible and be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But the wife wants a mobile throne.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#23]
For the kind of money they want for them, I'd just buy a KTM X-Bow, Polaris Slingshot, or similar.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Lulz...  The guys I see riding those tend to be the biggest wankers.

" />
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Kenny Powers approves.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I would get a Miata and call it a day if those are the options .
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any kind of trike is pointless. They don't turn for shit (tippy) and look ridiculous, especially the Goldwings and Harleys. If you can't ride a two-wheeler properly (i.e. lean it), then get a convertible and be done with it.
View Quote

Actually they do turn for shit, and they aren't tippy.

A spyder makes a lot more sense than a motorcycle "trike". The reason is that you have more stability for braking and cornering with 2 wheels in the front, as opposed to having 2 wheels in the rear. Cornering and braking forces are much greater than acceleration.

Just because it is "different" doesn't mean it is bad. It is funny how Harley riders get their panties in a twist over them though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Just because SCOTUS made this gay stuff legal doesn't mean we need 100 threads on it. They are gay. Super gay. If you are on one you will be laughed at constantly behind your back.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Trikes are stupid death machines. the spyder is not. I would personally get a sidecar rig before either one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

A spyder makes a lot more sense than a motorcycle "trike". The reason is that you have more stability for braking and cornering with 2 wheels in the front, as opposed to having 2 wheels in the rear. Cornering and braking forces are much greater than acceleration.

Just because it is "different" doesn't mean it is bad. It is funny how Harley riders get their panties in a twist over them though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I can't disagree with this.

For three wheels, they most certainly are far better than "trikes".

But I just can't get over the looks of them, even though trikes look silly too I'd rather have a trike even though the CanAm is superior.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's good in snowmobile form.

Wouldn't want the version with tires.
View Quote

Exactly.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Get a Polaris Slingshot:

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#35]
My cousin has one although I haven't seen it.I did see a guy ride one up and down my street and that thing was fast. I heard they were working to make them so you could lean with them.
I've never been a bike rider but I would get one of those Spyders. I'm at the age I don't care what people think.
If they weren't priced so high. I'd probably get one
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Local shop has one, I looked at it. Looks very cheaply made.
View All Quotes

Like a snow mobile?

Or an ATV?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I prefer two wheels.

If for some reason (injury or whatever) I am unable to ride on two wheels, a Spyder is a viable option.

As for people who choose to buy one and enjoy riding it, I'm not so insecure that I need to ridicule them to feel good about myself.  If they paid for it with their money and not mine, it's nothing for me to get cranked up about.  Get out there and have fun.
View Quote

You sound like a reasonable person.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Wasn't CanAm supposed to be working on a version that had some "lean" like a traditional bike?

That might be a pretty fun ride...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Local shop has one, I looked at it. Looks very cheaply made.
View All Quotes

Wow.. didn't know about these. 175hp at 1,600lbs curb weight..  that will be a rocket.  Wonder if I can talk her into that instead.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For the kind of money they want for them, I'd just buy a KTM X-Bow, Polaris Slingshot, or similar.

View Quote

KTM X-Bow starts at 78K if you can find one, I don't think they are legal in the states
The slingshot starts at 20K and I want one bad
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Even if someone on arfcom did, i highly doubt they would fess up to it.  They are roundly hated on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Wow.. didn't know about these. 175hp at 1,600lbs curb weight..  that will be a rocket.  Wonder if I can talk her into that instead.  
View Quote

I saw 3 of them on my Sunday ride yesterday.  They do look cool...  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Make sure to emphasize that you'll be sitting next to her, and she'll have a clear view of the road, etc. etc.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My neighbor has one.  I thought it was superfast, but then looked up the performance and saw that the 0-60 time was about 6 seconds which really surprised me.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My neighbor has one.  I thought it was superfast, but then looked up the performance and saw that the 0-60 time was about 6 seconds which really surprised me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Butt-Dyno is the most important metric for me.  I don't race or anything, nor compete. Just want something that feels fun and fast.  The wife wants something safe and fun.  Seems like a good compromise.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Butt-Dyno is the most important metric for me.  I don't race or anything, nor compete. Just want something that feels fun and fast.  The wife wants something safe and fun.  Seems like a good compromise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See if you can test drive it.  Seems pretty lethargic to me.  Now my other neighbor has an M4 coupe that he took to Dinan Motors. They upped the horsepower to 530 HP (from 420) and the torque by a proportionate amount.  That thing is off the charts on the Butt-Dyno.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

0-60 times seem to run around 5 seconds.  One wheel, even a big one, just isn't going to be able to get power down well enough to get 1600 pounds quick off the line.  That same reduced rear grip, however, probably makes it insanely fun in the tight corners.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Somebody owns one.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

0-60 times seem to run around 5 seconds.  One wheel, even a big one, just isn't going to be able to get power down well enough to get 1600 pounds quick off the line.  That same reduced rear grip, however, probably makes it insanely fun in the tight corners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting vid about it:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top