Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/8/2015 2:01:14 PM EDT
It was my father in laws, it has been sitting forever.

A Montgomery Wards Seaking, looks like it must have leaks, see where he tried caulking some of the seams on the bottom.

Not sure if it's worth the effort or not.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Coat the inside and out with Flex Seal.... Good as new
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
A free boat?  I'd take it, drop it in the water to see if it leaks - if so, spray the inside with that stuff in a can advertised on TV.  Slap an oversized used motor on it, and have some fun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I like how the front isn't squared off like mine is, should handle chop a little better.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like how the front isn't squared off like mine is, should handle chop a little better.
View Quote

Mine had sealant that looked that bad when I got it.  It doesn't leak.  Awesome little boat for fishing and can take the chop on a bigger lake.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe, depends on how bad it leaks.  I've seen someone take a riveted boat like that and tig weld it solid, but I wouldn't put that much effort into it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Maybe, depends on how bad it leaks.  I've seen someone take a riveted boat like that and tig weld it solid, but I wouldn't put that much effort into it.
View Quote
Mother in laws house is on a lake, I will put it in the water tomorrow and sit in it as see how bad it leaks, if not bad or no leaks at all, I will give her $100 or so for it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I would. Head over to tinboats.net and get to reading. TONS of ideas. Lots of boat paints out there that will seal rivet leaks as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Fill it with water and see if it leaks before you buy a motor and put it in the water.  If it holds water, it will float.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#10]
ABSOLUTELY.

Go to Tinboats.net for all the info you need to restore Aluminum boats.  That can be a real nice rig.

Here's one I just finished: a 1963 Lone Star 14' V with a 1966 Johnson 9.5 HP.  Before and after pics....

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Got some help with mine here:

Mine is a flat bottom john, I added a front deck with fishing seat. Doing a rear deck this summer...
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fill it with water and see if it leaks before you buy a motor and put it in the water.  If it holds water, it will float.
View Quote

This sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately the weight of water needed to fill it would damage the boat.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
couple bucks for flex seal on all seams inside and out and some care while using it  will do, maybe. Since you start from ZERO invested 20 bucks isn't all that. You can sell it for $100 or more on craigs list.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Mother in law said I can have it and a trolling motor.

Workers used it a few months ago to clear some algae around the lake, she said it doesn't leak.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Heck yeah that is worth messing with.

Little aluminum boats like that are actually hard to find as people like to hang onto them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Little aluminum boats like that are actually hard to find as people like to hang onto them.
View Quote
Yeah, I am taking it.

Trouble is , it's in Tampa, I live in Jax, will need to head down one weekend with my trailer and pick it up.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]
TINBOAT thread, hellz yeah!

Do it OP, I have a great time in my Sears GameFisher
My son taking his Grandma out here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#18]
go to a boat forum for advice, but I would go for it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like you are restoring a boat.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Will make a nice fishing boat and the price is fantastic.  I noticed it does not have a sticker or numbers on it.  I would imagine FL requires them, does your MIL have the registration or title?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Will make a nice fishing boat and the price is fantastic.
View Quote
Can't beat free.

The trolling motor is old, Gamefisher brand, but looks brand new, hardly used at all.

I will put a little 2.6 HP gas motor I have on it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately the weight of water needed to fill it would damage the boat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He can use carbonated water
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#23]
You should totally Rhino-line the inside.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#24]
The trolling motor.

Never seen one like this before, I assume he bought it when he bought the boat.

Just a little dusty from sitting in the shed out back.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I wanna go fishing with you some day.  

I even have a Beagle.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Will make a nice fishing boat and the price is fantastic.  I noticed it does not have a sticker or numbers on it.  I would imagine FL requires them, does your MIL have the registration or title?
View Quote
Yeah, FL requires it registered if a motor on it, knowing my FIL (who is deceased now) he just said fuck it. He only used it on the lake behind the house.

I wonder how I will get it registered? When I registered my jon boat I bought at Academy, I had to take the paperwork Academy provided to get it registered.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The trolling motor.

Never seen one like this before, I assume he bought it when he bought the boat.

Just a little dusty from sitting in the shed out back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/2F425915-97D7-4627-B14F-5C69F7B0D2FB_zps4crox3sr.jpg
View Quote

Toss that trash and throw one of these on

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Start with a bill of sale from the MIL, then apply for a new title.  In Missouri, the water patrol will look at the data plate to find out if the boat was stolen before it can be titled and licensed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, FL requires it registered if a motor on it, knowing my FIL (who is deceased now) he just said fuck it. He only used it on the lake behind the house.

I wonder how I will get it registered? When I registered my jon boat I bought at Academy, I had to take the paperwork Academy provided to get it registered.

Start with a bill of sale from the MIL, then apply for a new title.  In Missouri, the water patrol will look at the data plate to find out if the boat was stolen before it can be titled and licensed.

Bill of sale for $0 since she is giving it to me?

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

Needs a screen door first!

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#32]
there is no such thing as a free boat. I got a "free" boat, motor, and trailer once. After two tires, new bearings for trailer, getting engine worked on so it would run properly, and paying registration fees, my free boat ended up costing me around $250..

As for registering it, just have you MIL make out a bill of sale showing the boats make, model, and Ser #, plus depending on the state's gifting laws it might be better to just have her make up a purchase price.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Riveted aluminum Jon boats at Academy Sports all day long.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

there is no such thing as a free boat. I got a "free" boat, motor, and trailer once. After two tires, new bearings for trailer, getting engine worked on so it would run properly, and paying registration fees, my free boat ended up costing me around $250..

As for registering it, just have you MIL make out a bill of sale showing the boats make, model, and Ser #, plus depending on the state's gifting laws it might be better to just have her make up a purchase price.
View Quote
Ok, will just have a bill of sale for some small dollar amount.

I think they will charge me sales tax on the purchase price when I go register if she didn't collect the tax.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toss the ol' broad a sawbuck, and have her sign on the dotted line - as AE said, the data plate will provide them with much of the needed info.

ETA:

How can you water ski with a 2.6hp trolling motor?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Gluvit boat sealer

Then paint over it on the inside.  Maybe bed liner in a light color?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#37]
... sell it as a fixer-upper (right time of year), and buy something you can launch when you want now

Your time is worth something
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Screen door fabric and Flex Seal is a USCG approved hull repair method and exempts you from life jacket requirements.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

... sell it as a fixer-upper (right time of year), and buy something you can launch when you want now

Your time is worth something
View Quote
I already have a jon boat to play with, and a Sun Dolphin Sportsman, plus kayaks, etc...

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've actually done it to find a leak in a boat very similar to that one.  It didn't hurt it that I could see.

ETA:  By fill it, I mean a foot or so of water then rock it side to side to check for leaks.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I've actually done it to find a leak in a boat very similar to that one.  It didn't hurt it that I could see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lake and her dock is 2 feet from the boat, I will drag it in the water tomorrow and get a leak status

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#42]
This thread is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Workers used it a few months ago to clear some algae around the lake, she said it doesn't leak.
View Quote

And you have ask here?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

And you have ask here?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Ive saved two leaky tinboats with liberal application of DIY bedliner kits and windshield urethane.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I've have good success painting the bottom of a 1962 john boat with Rhino liner.  No leaks in 6 years.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I see no jon boat
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I knew an old river rat that bought that same boat from Wards in the 70's.  He claimed it was the best $100.00 bill he ever spent.  Caught many a fish as a kid with him in that thing.  Hell yeah, it's worth saving.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Those are great little boats.  Sturdy and comfortable for what they are . . . good fishing boat.  Spent many a summer in one on a lake in Michigan.

What does plate say max horsepower is for the boat?  Length?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top