Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2015 12:51:19 PM EDT
Should I buy something pre-flavored or just make my own? I'm thinking it'd be cheaper and probably taste better to get a handle of Kirkland brand, pour off a couple shots, drop some peppers in there, and let the alcohol do its solventy magic. However, that's a lot of booze that might go to waste if it turns out badly.

ETA incoming pole

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd infuse your own, but use something a little cleaner like a cheap Skyy or decent Tito's.

You can get Vodka infusers with a little spigot, but then it gets to be a thing.  I usually just make pepper flavored vodka for some good Bloody Marys by adding right to the bottle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Make your own. And especially for Habenero, and depending on how hot your Jalapenos are, no point in using top-shelf.

I made Habenero vodka with Stoli. I let it steep for 4 days, strained a few times through folded cheesecloth (get ALL the solids out!), and holy fuck were those some hot and tasty Bloody Marys.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
kinda related... there is some Habanero beer that I tried
just didn't do anything for me.. I like the flavor when it's in food, but just seemed overpowering/offputting
in a drink...
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just didn't do anything for me.. I like the flavor when it's in food, but just seemed overpowering/offputting
in a drink...
View Quote

Mayan Mocha? Love the stuff. Goes REALLY well with a fat t-bone.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Make your own. Since you have no worry about bacteria and whatnot, I'd add some peppers, wait a week, try it. If not hot enough, add more.

I make a jalapeno mead(honey wine), and one spicy jalapeno is enough to make a gallon of mead pretty spicy. But I let that sit a month or 2
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd infuse your own, but use something a little cleaner like a cheap Skyy or decent Tito's.

You can get Vodka infusers with a little spigot, but then it gets to be a thing.  I usually just make pepper flavored vodka for some good Bloody Marys by adding right to the bottle.
View Quote

Kirkland Vodka is Grey Goose btw so we're not talking Popov here. Their American vodka is almost as good and about half the price; I've made my own limoncello using that stuff.

Not sure why the op would want 'hot' vodka, just doesn't compute.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Kirkland Vodka is Grey Goose btw so we're not talking Popov here. Their American vodka is almost as good and about half the price; I've made my own limoncello using that stuff.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As others have posted, for Bloody Marys.

Re habanero beer, Ballast Point's Habanero Sculpin was absolutely transcendent. I wish I was able to buy it as a regular item.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Make your own. And especially for Habenero, and depending on how hot your Jalapenos are, no point in using top-shelf.

I made Habenero vodka with Stoli. I let it steep for 4 days, strained a few times through folded cheesecloth (get ALL the solids out!), and holy fuck were those some hot and tasty Bloody Marys.
View Quote

I had no idea it was that easy to infuse - might have to try that. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/MRrd6G3.jpg?1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
in a drink...

That sounds interesting. Do you buy straight from them?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
in a drink...

I'd love to head over to the brewery, but its the other side of the state. We can get it at a few local shops, and a couple local bars (Tom's Oyster Bar in downtown RO, for example) started carrying Odd Side stuff.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]
That combo seems terrible to me. Chili pepper flavors in booze?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you like Bloody Marys? Zesty flavorful Bloody Marys?

Of course you do. Everybody does! A nice spicy-hot vodka makes for a VERY nice Bloody Mary.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Just add siracha to your drink.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
For the record; I wish my Costco sold liquor
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Re habanero beer, Ballast Point's Habanero Sculpin was absolutely transcendent. I wish I was able to buy it as a regular item.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, to each is own.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
You should try some of this stuff:  http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2013/05/26/st-elmos-fire-review/

The combination of cinnamon and cayenne peppers is really good IMO.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You should try some of this stuff:  http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2013/05/26/st-elmos-fire-review/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll try anything once.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'll try anything once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll try anything once.
I tried it on a lark, and was pleasantly surprised at how rich and complex the flavor is.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#20]

saw this at the grocery store the other day, next to the Jalapeno version

of course I bought a couple

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Make your own, take a handle of vodka & pop off the top. Cut the peppers into slivers & remove all seeds, then slide it all in the bottle, throw it in the freezer for 24 hours & it will be good to go.

Things Needed:
-(1) Bell pepper
-(2) Jalapenos

or

(1) Habanero
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is interesting.  We just got a Costco, so I wasn't up on their liquor.  Apparently their Bourbon may come from the same distillery as Buffalo Trace, so I may have to check them out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That is interesting.  We just got a Costco, so I wasn't up on their liquor.  Apparently their Bourbon may come from the same distillery as Buffalo Trace, so I may have to check them out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All their Kirkland brand liquors are great. Their bourbon is a great price for the quality and over proof. I also buy their white tequila, great over ice with a little lime.

If you like margaritas, the Costco Margarita with the alcohol already in it is phenomenal. Due to it being mixed you can keep it in the fridge/freezer and pour over a couple cubes, no blending or dilution. You can't mix them yourself cheaper. Plenty strong and tasty, highly addicting and convenient.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'll try anything once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll try anything once.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Whenever I grow cayenne peppers I load a bunch up in a bottle of Seagrams vodka.  Makes the best Bloody Mary ever.  

I would think that the Habenneros would make it to hot to enjoy with as much vodka as I put in a Bloody Mary.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#27]
had some jalapeno infused tequila once...
they made margaritas with it
first one was great but they get gross after the second one lol

I imagine it works better for a bloody mary

tried Jalapeno beer once and it was disgusting
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Does infusing it in the vodka actually do something special that putting some hot sauce or peppers into the bloody Mary mix doesn't do? Or is the novelty of peppered vodka part of the appeal?

I've heard infusing vodka with black peppercorns gives a good gentle heat that doesnt linger too long and good flavor. Never tried it so can't say for sure. Its a thought. The flavor of black pepper would really compliment a bloody Mary I bet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does infusing it in the vodka actually do something special that putting some hot sauce or peppers into the bloody Mary mix doesn't do? Or is the novelty of peppered vodka part of the appeal?

I've heard infusing vodka with black peppercorns gives a good gentle heat that doesnt linger too long and good flavor. Never tried it so can't say for sure. Its a thought. The flavor of black pepper would really compliment a bloody Mary I bet.
View Quote

The alcohol acts like a solvent over time to extract the oils, in a way that just dropping the peppers into a drink would not.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their Bourbon is 'ok,' a touch sweet for my tastes but it's a great (and cheap) use for Bourbon and Coke/Sour/etc. Oh and for origins I believe it's from Beam's group not BT. Their Bourbon is the most under-whelming of their private-label stuff but I haven't tried their Gin yet. Their Vodka, Tequila and Single Malt offerings are first-rate.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Should I buy something pre-flavored or just make my own? I'm thinking it'd be cheaper and probably taste better to get a handle of Kirkland brand, pour off a couple shots, drop some peppers in there, and let the alcohol do its solventy magic. However, that's a lot of booze that might go to waste if it turns out badly.

ETA incoming pole

View Quote

Make your own. Experiment with cheap brands in 750ml bottles, so if you can't stand it you don't lose too much. Even if you don't like it, you can always surprise your buddies.

I'd skip the jalapenos, they give the vodka a kind of grassy taste that I personally found unpleasant.

Start with one habanero, more if you have some tolerance. Use a fresh pepper, dried ones aren't as good.

Let it sit for a minimum of two weeks, then try it out...and report back.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I infused 186 proof shine with habaneros once, it made a lot of bikers at sturgis cry.  

If you are going to do hab, I would suggest to limiting the soaking for  1-2 weeks I did whole habs that I grew in the garden maybe 8-10 in a gallon.  Mine was tolerable after a week but turned into liquid fire after about a month.  With the uncut peppers you get more time to evaluate the heat level you want if you cut them its going to get hot very quickly. Remember alcohol's evaporative properties will disperse the capsaicin through your mouth rapidly and make it rather hot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top