Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2015 1:25:45 AM EDT
Holy fuckballs this stuff is good. Just a couple drops of water and it's incredible. Earthy. Peaty. Hints of smooth vanilla. God fucking damn, nectar of the gods. Smells amazing. Would love to find out what the older stuff tastes like.

I know it's all personal preference but I like the way this tastes WAY more than I liked MacAllen 10.

(I can only afford 10 or 12 year old so far. Sue me.)

Post up what you like!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#1]

I love  Laphroaig, especially Cask Strength. Should be drank neat, and sipped, savored, imo.

But you will find most people can't handle it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the Triple Wood, with a touch of water.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love  Laphroaig, especially Cask Strength. Should be drank neat, and sipped, savored, imo.

View Quote

I could probably do it, drinking it neat is something I like to at least try. This stuff is the first I've had that has really opened up with a few drops of cold water.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#4]
That's Scotch, right?  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes. What gave it away?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:41:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love the way it smells, but I just can't understand how people drink it.  I'd like to appreciate it, but I just can't.  Hell, I don't even like rauchbier or smoked cheeses.  I do like Macallan, Glenomrangie and Balvenie, but the smokey ones . . . eh, I just can't.

Are there any scotches lighter on the smoke than Laphroaig?  Introductory smokey dranks.  

ETA:  Heck, maybe I'll never like it, but that's okay, too.  It's okay to like what I don't like, if don't hurt me none.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:43:00 AM EDT
[#7]
One peaty slap in the face. Love me some Laphroaig.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's Scotch, right?  
View Quote

Single Malt Islay scotch. Not quite the same as blended.

The Islay single malts are very unique, they have a smoky flavor that is very distinctive, you either love it or you hate it.

I find them to be very enjoyable. My brother in law who is also a scotch lover called the Islay malts "Medicinal" in flavor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Too much peat, on a 1-10 scale it is way over 9.

I prefer Speysides, much more accessible to my palate.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I love the way it smells, but I just can't understand how people drink it.  I'd like to appreciate it, but I just can't.  Hell, I don't even like rauchbier or smoked cheeses.  I do like Macallan, Glenomrangie and Balvenie, but the smokey ones . . . eh, I just can't.

Are there any scotches lighter on the smoke than Laphroaig?  Introductory smokey dranks.  

ETA:  Heck, maybe I'll never like it, but that's okay, too.  It's okay to like what I don't like, if don't hurt me none.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glenlivet 12 imo is a great budget single malt, hell, it's a decent scotch for any price.

I find Glenlivet isn't Smokey, and even almost sweet. You should be able to pick up a bottle for around $35-$40.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The Islay single malts are very unique, they have a smoky flavor that is very distinctive, you either love it or you hate it.

I find them to be very enjoyable. My brother in law who is also a scotch lover called the Islay malts "Medicinal" in flavor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's Scotch, right?  

Then I shall give it a try.  Thanks brother.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I love the way it smells, but I just can't understand how people drink it.  I'd like to appreciate it, but I just can't. .
View Quote

You certainly cannot describe it as "bland".

You have to picture yourself in a smoky pub on the Isle of Islay, it's a place I'd love to visit.  Beautiful in it's desolation.

That's what I love about the single malts. Each has it's own flavor according the region it's made in.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:59:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I need to find a Speyside somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:59:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Glenlivet 12 imo is a great budget single malt, hell, it's a decent scotch for any price.

I find Glenlivet isn't Smokey, and even almost sweet. You should be able to pick up a bottle for around $35-$40.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll never turn down any single malt.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:02:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So a good 12 yr single malt scotch vs a good single barrel 12 yr Kentucky Straight Bourbon - how do they compare, neat?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's Scotch, right?  

You might try it in a bar before you spend $40 on a bottle.  It's a bit strong for some palates.

Probably the strongest flavored of all the Islay single malts.
Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg are the smokiest and peatiest. Bowmore is still an Islay, but has a lighter peat flavor than the others.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:07:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You might try it in a bar before you spend $40 on a bottle.  It's a bit strong for some palates.

Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg are the smokiest and peatiest. Bowmore is still an Islay, but has a lighter peat flavor than the others.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's Scotch, right?  

I've given Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg each a whirl.  I'll have to try Bowmore in the future.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:09:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So a good 12 yr single malt scotch vs a good single barrel 12 yr Kentucky Straight Bourbon - how do they compare, neat?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like both, but apples and oranges. Completely different flavors imo. Single malt is refined and Old World, Bourbon is more of an American flavor, brash and unpretentious.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oban is a good one, but it's Highland. Laphroaig is hands down the harshest of all the Islay whiskeys. Might give Lagavulin a shot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:12:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Love Laphroaig? Find some Ardbeg 10, if you can. Same price range, slightly different profile. Also if you can find it, snag a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan - it makes the other two taste a bit bland (IMHO). It's on the high side approaching Lagavulin 16.

Talisker 10 is another good one. Salty, caramel, briney, with a backdrop of peat. Different, but excellent for a nuanced drink while unwinding.

Some others I've enjoyed lately are Macallan 12 (sherry aged), Glenmorangie Nectar D’Or (Sauternes), Dalmore, etc... depending on my mood.

Damnit, I need a glass.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laphroaig is the one that's light on peat...stay away from Lagvulin. Ardbeg and Caol Ila.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#22]
You need some Rocky Patel cigars to go with that.  

See my sig line

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]
If  you like Laphroaig 10 , you should try the Laphroaig 1/4 cask . Great bang for the buck .  Less $$ than the 10

Laphroaig 18 is pricey for what it is ( more refine, LESS in your face than Laphroaig 10 ) . If you are going to spend that kind of $$ then pick up Lagavulin 16 and skip the Laphroaig 18

Typically Ardbeg 10 can be had for about the same as Laphroaig 10 . I prefer the Ardbeg range over the Laphroaig

Of the big 3 Islay ( Laga, Ardbeg , Laphroaig ) , I prefer  Lagavulin 16 ,  Ardbeg Ugiendail ,

The other Islays like  Bruchladdich ( only heir PC..Port Charlotte is peated ) , Bunnahabhain , Caol ila , Bowmore are totally different since they have no peat or relatively little.  Exception is the Bruchladdich Octomore with insanely high peat , Caol Ila is moderate but nothing special really.  

If you like the peaty smokiness of Laphroaig, stick to the big 3 Islays
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That's Scotch, right?  
View Quote

No....It's liquid smoke that people think is Scotch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#25]
My favorite Islay so far is Caol Ila 12. If you haven't tried and you like peat I'd give it a go. It's no peat monster but I find it balanced and not overpowering.

I grabbed a bottle of High West Whiskey Double Rye on sale today. Anyone here tried it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#26]
It's the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top