Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2015 11:23:39 PM EDT
Hi,
I am trying to decide if it is worth putting an rmr and suppressor sights on my EDC g19.  Looks like a slide milling is 250 plus the cost of a trijicon rmr. This is my target shooting, pistol class, EDC and home defense gun.

Why would one do this and does it have real world value? Any disadvantages?
Also what holster would you recommend for a g19 with an RMR?
Thank you,
ATTom
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Try before you buy
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You got a Glock because it's simple and reliable, right? Why screw with that equation by adding a piece of electronic equipment to a self-defense weapon?

Murphy shows up on his own, no need to invite him in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I almost got an RMR for $50 about a month and a day ago ...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You got a Glock because it's simple and reliable, right? Why screw with that equation by adding a piece of electronic equipment to a self-defense weapon?

View Quote

This is my thoughts as well.

Replace the plastic sights with good night sights if you want an upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hi,
I am trying to decide if it is worth putting an rmr and suppressor sights on my EDC g19.  Looks like a slide milling is 250 plus the cost of a trijicon rmr. This is my target shooting, pistol class, EDC and home defense gun.

Why would one do this and does it have real world value? Any disadvantages?
Also what holster would you recommend for a g19 with an RMR?
Thank you,
ATTom
View Quote

I owned an rmr for a total of 2 days. The thing that I didn't like was the diode was exposed. So lint, dust dirt could block it and cause there to be no dot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it a competition gun or a defense gun??

The two are not as similar as the gamers would have you believe.

On a defensive gun I would go with plain sights.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I carried mine ONCE for shits and giggles and then replaced it with my g19 with trigicon sights.

No point of carrying one set up like that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not: More crap to go wrong, more crap to hang up on, more weight, more cost, different holsters...shall I go on?

I like the KISS principle for real world weapons.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Still butthurt you didn't get invited?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]
In a CCW shooting, you probably are close enough to not need the sights, much less the dot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do have tritium/fiber optic ones you know.

OP, I'd highly recommend against it. When you mill your slide, you're cutting through the Tennifer/nitriding hardness/corrosion resistance treatment layer and exposing soft steel. And by soft, I mean gouge it with a punch soft. It'll also rust much easier.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Never felt a need for a RMR on my 19 for carry work. Have run them on range toys/gun games.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:24:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one on my G22 that I shoot for funsies. Did the milling myself, it was a fun project.

My G19, carry gun, does not have one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Why carry a compact handgun then add a lot of shit to it so that its not that damn compact anymore?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a M&P Core with a RMR on it.

I have carried it a handful of times, no real difference aside from an extra lump sticking out waiting to smash into things when you forget that it sticks out further.

So I don't carry it often.

ETA...

Also all that lint that finds it way into your holster and all over your gun... it gets all over the lens as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Waiting on a g19 mos to put an rmr on. Not to carry, but as a range toy. I wouldn't carry with an optic, more to go wrong in an already hectic situation like others have said.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Waiting on a g19 mos to put an rmr on. Not to carry, but as a range toy. I wouldn't carry with an optic, more to go wrong in an already hectic situation like others have said.
View Quote

Are thy making the compact and subcompacts MOS?   I thought it was just the full size longslides.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#18]
RMR's are stupid fast.  The suppressor sights are back ups so the rmr breaks you are still set.  They are the future and will only continue to get better.  Shooting an RMR pistol at night with night vision is one of the most enjoyable things you can do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:38:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That sounds like the repeating theme of resistance to new tech and methods. Bet the same was said about electronic sights on rifles used in combat.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:43:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That sounds like the repeating theme of resistance to new tech and methods. Bet the same was said about electronic sights on rifles used in combat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock has pistols built for optics now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I see that I have not made it here before the technophobic crowd.

It reminds me of fuds, who say ARs have no place in the civilian world.  "Them new-fangled things! Give me a good old bolt action."
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been carrying a G19 with RMR IWB for a few years.

Sample of one, but I havent seen the potential problems mentioned by many here.

Milled area has softer metal, sure, but it's covered by the sight so no biggie.

I saw some surface rust on the first battery change but have since painted the area and put a seal plate, no problem.

Sticks out a bit, not enough to be a bother for me.

Durability has been fine.  My Glock is a face ejector and the RMR does double purpose as a shell deflector too.  Keeps on ticking.

Dried sweat, lint, etc can get to the lens.  Never had anything block diode or lens enough to not be able to aim and fire.

That being said, its a significant investment and I honestly could go either way, it's not a necesity.  Try and see if it works for your needs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well put, and RDS don't have the same advantage on a pistol that they do on a long gun to me (I'm not a competitive shooter, not a serious one anyway). It's harder for me to pick up the dot in a small window than it is for me to pick up the front sight. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Try it first...I personally think it sucks.  I find night sights way faster plus they won't break.  In case you didn't know, these micro sights break...a lot...on these guns due to the slide inertia. Not to mention red dots mounted in front of the rear sights are magnets for dirt/oil from the ejection port
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Try before you buy
View Quote

This. I find the RMR slower than irons.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well put, and RDS don't have the same advantage on a pistol that they do on a long gun to me (I'm not a competitive shooter, not a serious one anyway). It's harder for me to pick up the dot in a small window than it is for me to pick up the front sight. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is also absolutely true. A dot close to your eye will be easy to pick up...a micro dot extended to the length of your arms is not.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#27]
On finding the dot...

A proper set up will have suppressor sights that co-witness.

The iron sights, besides acting as a back-up, also serve as a reference point.  They will guide you to the dot.

As you get used to it, things get faster.

I have tritium suppressor sights for back up.  No, the sight picture does not become cluttered unless you want it to.  You will focus on the dot or irons whichever you are looking for.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Are thy making the compact and subcompacts MOS?   I thought it was just the full size longslides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No idea. I hope they would but probably not.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Invest the money on xs sights and a good light.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:16:41 AM EDT
[#30]
With practice it gets faster. In defensive shooting situations you usually don't use the sights anyway. Where the sight excels is at intermediate distance. You focus on the target, not the sight. Allows for better target ID and to focus on if the target. Threats change from second to second. I only know of one LE department that's experimenting with the application.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:17:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not to mention red dots mounted in front of the rear sights are magnets for dirt/oil from the ejection port
View Quote

So what? Even if the front of the RMR is completely obscured you can still aim and fire. Try using your aimpoint with the front lens cover on...
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:20:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got one on my FNX Tactical.  It's pretty much the most baddest ass thing ever.  I've carried it like twice.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:29:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all, I just have yet to see any device as foolproof as iron sights, and I'm all about KISS on defensive arms.  I would shoot the hell out of a 1000-yard TrackingPoint rifle, though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:35:47 AM EDT
[#34]
i mean if costa does it....

i'm half kidding.. it does seem like 'the cool' thing to do now... i would rather buy an aftermarket slide built for an RMR or get a gun that is made to take one rather than fuck up a slide... on the other hand, it is only a glock slide...
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:39:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll probably start using one when Bob Vogel does.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:52:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Try before you buy
View Quote

good advice
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I have an RMR on my G19 and I love it.Accurate shot placement is fast and easy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#38]
I have Trijicon sights on my G31, but I've always been interested in an RMR or similar optic for it. I've just not had the money to mess with it.

As for it being slide-mounted... well, I'm not opposed to a frame-mounted optic on a 1911-style gun, either. I open carry my primary pistol and don't even own a compact or sub-compact, so the additional size/weight isn't really an issue.

I figure I'll probably end up moving to some sort of optic on my carry gun once i have the funds available to compete regularly, and gain the skill necessary to make it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Interested in this as well.  I planned on keeping my gen 2 g19 for EDC, but I want to get a gen3 done up with a serrated side, RMR with a custom frame. Did not plan to EDC it though
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'll probably start using one when Bob Vogel does.
View Quote

Not valid, Bob is not a human.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Try before you buy
View Quote

FPNI.  I'm much better with a dot over irons on a handgun
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I do quite often, I also used to C carry my open 3gun Glock - til I added a thumb rest.

Funny how guys say

"I tried it once couldn't hit/find the dot"

AND  I suppose the first time you shot a pistol you could ? ?

A pistol with a RDS is just like any other weapon, you need to PRACTICE,  Yeah I realize that's not gonna happen with 98% of the HSLD guys here
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I wouldn't do it simply for the investment. I've thought of dressing my Springfield champion with an rmr and suppressor, but she would stay at home dressed like that. Simply can't let my self sink that much money into a work gun. For a toy, sure why not.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#45]
RMR is dumb.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Keep
It
Simple,
Stupid.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#47]
If your the guy that fires 50 rounds every couple of months and not willing to put in the practice needed to master the system...I'd say pass...

If your the guy that seeks excellence...do it...

An RMR on a G19 completely changes the fighting shooting paradigm...

Up close your probably a point shooter anyway...do you use your sights when "fighting" if you do your slow...if you don't then you know what I am talking about...

I am a point shooter...inside 10 yards I never even think about the sights and your dead fast...I have trained myself, sought training and practiced hard to be a gunfighter...out to 15 yards or so I will transition to what I refer to as the TV SCREEN OF DEATH point shooting progression....here is what I mean...there is no parallax with an RDS/RMR so if the dot is on the target squeeze the trigger and you score hits...simply put meat in the screen and hit...repeatedly...

At 25 yards and beyond I am using the dot...the RMR with a 3,25MOA dot will change your shooting IF you put in the time...and effort...and dry practice acquiring the sights/dot...

No more COM shots at 25...its first round head shots...with a little more time its which eye do I want to hit him in...practiced head shots to 50 are easy button easy...torsos to 100-150 yards are just around the corner with practice...FROM A G19...

IM me if you have more questions...

My EDC G19

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#48]
I have one on a carry gun.  

I don't carry it as often as I used to.  More because it's a full size than the RMR.  There was no noticeable change to carrying it before/after installing the RMR.  I like the RMR but it takes practice to get used to.  As range increases, the precision/speed with an RDS increases over irons only.  As range decreases, so does it's advantage, in my opinion.  25 yard head shots on a USPSA target are much easier/faster with the RMR than without, for example, while 7 yard center of mass hits are not, and may be slightly slower.  The reason being "finding the dot" isn't as fast as finding the sights, since they enter your field of view on presentation much earlier than the aiming point of an RDS does.  That can be over come but only with practice, and it's overcome through repetition and "muscle memory" which means if you have a bad draw with an RDS, ie, things aren't where you expect them to be, I think it takes longer to correct and find the dot than it does to line up sights and fire.

FWIW I think they're reliable enough for defense, they have the advantage of always being illuminated, they allow greater precision and speed when ranges get long or targets get small, but for 99% of defensive needs they're not an advantage, and might be a detriment.  They also collect lint like a motherfucker.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

a trijicon RMR for $50? was it stolen or were you almost a sweepstakes winner or some shit?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#50]
I have one on my FNX 45 Tac.

Its great unless its raining. cant see the dot.
so theres that
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top