Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2015 9:35:07 PM EDT
Decided to sell one of my personal cars to fund something else.
Put car up for sale in the local Kijiji and start getting emails right off the bat.
Screened a few and answered a few and got a request to view the car.
Set up a meet at the coffee shop down the road and the guy shows up on time.
Guy is all over the car, drove it and loved it and starts talking price. We haggle for 10 minutes and agree on a price.
Make arrangements to complete the transaction tonight and he shows up ready to pick up the car.

Except he pulls out $1000 LESS than what we agreed upon.
He has his buddy with him and they start jabbering in Lebanese and can see I'm getting pissed.
The guy starts spouting off about tires that he has to replace and a scratch he has to fix (something we went over last night) and that he wanted a better deal on the car.
I stated that all that he mentioned was negotiated last night and asked him what his problem was.
He had no answer and started his jibberish to his buddy.

I am happy I have good neighbours, they all witnessed me telling this guy and his buddy to go fuck themselves and get the fuck off my property.

Several times.

I had to call off another buyer because of this asshole, but the other guy was understanding and is now on his way over.

Weak rant but I'm pissed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been through this recently, I finally stopped trying to sell the car on Craigslist, might ebay it or use Autotrader.
Too much Crazy to wade through or lowball offers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been through this recently, I finally stopped trying to sell the car on Craigslist, might ebay it or use Autotrader.
View Quote

Lowball offers? They're just called offers. Why do you hate market economics?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like Arabs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding. Thanks for playing.
Look for a fight somewhere else.
Asking 10 offer of 5? c'mon, that's a dick move, economics aside.
Its not nice guys who call with offers like that either.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you're asking $13K for a car worth just that and someone offers $5K they are just an a-hole wasting your time. The best part is when they add "that's all I have"... well, if that's all you have, go look for cars listed for $5K.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#6]
It's the Bazaar mindset

You must learn the art of the Haggle.

The Haggle never stops...  Haggle Haggle Haggle....

Stop being a cultural imperialist with your WASPy we made a deal and I expect you to stick to it entitlement mentality...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Canadian dollars or real dollars?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

When you're asking $13K for a car worth just that and someone offers $5K they are just an a-hole wasting your time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you're asking $13K for a car worth just that and someone offers $5K they are just an a-hole wasting your time.

You and I both know this, the guy who came after me is just stirring shit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's the Bazaar mindset

Stop being a cultural imperialist with your WASPy we made a deal and I expect you to stick to it entitlement mentality...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

I love to haggle. With respect. I won't try to 'steal' a persons item though.
Making stupid offers just wastes people's time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am happy I have good neighbours, they all witnessed me telling this guy and his buddy to go fuck themselves and get the fuck off my property.

View Quote

You told them where you live? Whoops.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lowball offer is one that is obviously miles below fair market value, and nothing more than a waste of time for the seller.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like Arabs.
View Quote

lebanese Christians, those motherfuckers are HARDASS NEGOTIATORS!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A lowball offer is one that is obviously miles below fair market value, and nothing more than a waste of time for the seller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked with a guy who preyed on people that he knew had just lost their jobs, were getting divorced etc, he would come in with cash and offer
half value for a car. He made a lot of money doing that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I won't do business with certain types of people because of exactly what you just described.

I once repaired a furnace for a man from some Middle East country, price was verbally agreed upon before the repair was made. As I was filling out the bill he starts lowballing the shit out of me saying he was only willing to pay so much... It got heated and I was ready to rip the new part out and walk I was so pissed. He finally paid up but I will never do business with that type of person again.

Welcome to America and all that, but keep you shitty customs in your own country.
View Quote

Some contractors have learned to add 20% right off the bat to certain groups of people, only because they know they will get haggled down to what they would have just charged originally.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's the Bazaar mindset

BIGGER_HAMMER

No problem with Haggling to get the deal..

When the deal is struck, the Deal IS the Deal...   Nothing further once we have shaken hands on it.

Can't tell you how crazy it drives me to have "other cultures" make a deal, then demand more and more and more for less and less and less...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a typical Cragslist deal.  Guy probably thought he smelled desperate on you so he tried to lowball you.  Good thing you stood your ground. I hate buyers like that
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

When the deal is struck, the Deal IS the Deal...   Nothing further once we have shaken hands on it.

Can't tell you how crazy it drives me to have "other cultures" make a deal, then demand more and more and more for less and less and less...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's the Bazaar mindset

BIGGER_HAMMER

BIGGER_HAMMER

I agree, a handshake and no new offers or backing out. Why do people shake on a deal and then weasel out of it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I would have told the guy "I'm going to sell it to the other guy for $1000 less because you're a fucking cunt."
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm putting two cars up for sale in the next 2 weeks.  In my area, it can be a pain in the ass.  You get a cross between dealers who low-ball you and city jerks who try to smooth-talk you and don't show up or waste your time.  I watched a guy I know avoid this by high-balling his car and being a bit of a dick about it.  He wound up getting a premium price and didn't have to suffer as many assholes.  It just took a bit longer to sell it than usual, but he didn't care.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I hate buyers like that op. Hear of it all the time. Agree on a price, meet at the notary to do title transfer or,whatever, they pull out less money then agreed upon. Hope you won't want to pass up cash as you are already there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Try selling a Porsche. Everyone wants a concours car for a craigslist price.

You handled it well and I would've immediately shut it down when he pulled that stunt too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I had this kind of issue selling a quad. Guys says he will take it for asking price, another guy wants it 15 minutes later for asking price. Turned him down for first guy

Guy 1 asks if it can be delivered. I say no I have another buyer that will come and pick it up for asking price. He said ok he will come get it within a week. I let a week go by. Nothing. So I tell buyer 2. He takes it.

Buyer 1 gets pissed when he calls back and realizes its gone. I say too bad first come first serve! Fuck em!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I sold cars for a living for a long time.
I don't want to ever have to sell a car off my driveway

Speed
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, have that piece of shit banned for welching!

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I was once selling a car for $500 on CL  it was an old gran Marquis I bought from a police auction a few years prior for $600.  A bunch of guys respond within minutes, a guy who claimed to be local said he'd like to come see it.  he was the first to respond, so I contacted him first.

Puerto Rican guy drives up in a fancy suit driving a Mercedes.  I take him out for a test drive.  He complains about this and that, to which I keep reminding him it's a $500 car.  He asks me if I know how much it costs to register a car, and I  respond around $250 I think.  He asks me how firm I am on the price, so I say, I'll do $475.  Guys throws a hissy, and says he'll pay me $250 cash.  I said no, I'll do $475.  Guy then says, "But it's going to cost me $250 to register it."  

i look at him and said, "Registration fees don't go to me, they go to the state.  You have to pay that no matter what car you buy.  Dude, you're fucking haggling over a $500 car!"  

He said, "I have cash right now.  No one else will be willing to give you this much for this."

I said, "Fuck you.  You wasted enough of my time.  Head back."  

As we pull up, he gets out and says, "You'll never sell it for $500."  

As we step out, another guy is at my front door, and asks if the car is still available.  He then hands me $500, and buys the car right in front of the suit wearing douchebag without even test driving it.  It was a pretty sweet deal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#27]
That's the Craigslist haggle...agree on something, show up with less hoping for desperation or you being uncomfortable.

Pull that on me, I will tell you to beat the bricks out of principle...even if your price is $1 less and I need the money. I hate that bullshit. It's a con, not a haggle. The haggle was BEFORE you show up with money, dick.

Had a guy do that to me on a mower, pulls out $100 short of the agreed upon price. I told him no deal, beat it I'll sell it to the guy who just called me. He was like "Whoa, it's only $100, you're gonna lose this sale over $100??"

I said "You're going to miss out on this mower over $100?"

He didn't even understand his point was his enemy.

Next guy bought it, btw.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were coming to pick up the car and the extra's that came with it.
That's ok, I have all the info I need from the guy I need. DL, company truck and tag #.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I tell everyone I sell to on CL that the price is "X" amount of dollars and that if they aren't bringing that amount, don't bother showing up....its worked so far.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#30]
why did you have them come to your house? now they know where you live.

and people doing that shit with less money is obviously on purpose.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
why did you have them come to your house? now they know where you live.

and people doing that shit with less money is obviously on purpose.
View Quote

Met at a coffee shop down the street last night (daylight).
Once everything was agreed upon I gave him my address to pick up the car and the extra bumper, wheels and snow tires.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

That's the Craigslist haggle...agree on something, show up with less hoping for desperation or you being uncomfortable.

Pull that on me, I will tell you to beat the bricks out of principle...even if your price is $1 less and I need the money. I hate that bullshit. It's a con, not a haggle. The haggle was BEFORE you show up with money, dick.

Had a guy do that to me on a mower, pulls out $100 short of the agreed upon price. I told him no deal, beat it I'll sell it to the guy who just called me. He was like "Whoa, it's only $100, you're gonna lose this sale over $100??"

I said "You're going to miss out on this mower over $100?"

He didn't even understand his point was his enemy.

Next guy bought it, btw.

View Quote
Same here.  I haven't been desperate since the 80's.  Eat me.  Firm is firm.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I won't do business with certain types of people because of exactly what you just described.

I once repaired a furnace for a man from some Middle East country, price was verbally agreed upon before the repair was made. As I was filling out the bill he starts lowballing the shit out of me saying he was only willing to pay so much... It got heated and I was ready to rip the new part out and walk I was so pissed. He finally paid up but I will never do business with that type of person again.

Welcome to America and all that, but keep you shitty customs in your own country.
View Quote

i think i should only hire non-whites now
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Why in the hell are people still letting craigslist strangers come to their houses?

Doesn't anyone see the news about the numerous examples of theft, shootings, assault or murder?

Seriously!?!

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why in the hell are people still letting craigslist strangers come to their houses?

Doesn't anyone see the news about the numerous examples of theft, shootings, assault or murder?

Seriously!?!

View Quote

If I'm going down, I'm not going down without a fight.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#36]
so

I was looking to buy an ok bike...Honda cr250 1999.
I told him FIVE TIMES to reserve it, save it. Wait for me. Ill come

Class ends at 2:30...takes me about an hour to get where he lives...
well, 10 minutes before I get to his house text msg "sry man bike sold"

no manners. fuk craigslist. I could see where he was coming from with his first come first serve but I told him like 5 times what I am on the way and it will take me time to get to his house  
no bike :(

what a douche
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be surprised at how many people will take an offer of less than half of what something is worth , let  alone what their asking.
Good example
Guy listed a like new ATV, he paid $7500.00 , rode it twice , scared the crap out of him "Too much power"
I offered $2500.00 , ended up paying him $2850.00
It was two weeks old.
it wasn't stolen he had the paperwork from the dealer
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
so

no manners. fuk craigslist. I could see where he was coming from with his first come first serve but I told him like 5 times what I am on the way and it will take me time to get to his house  

what a douche
View Quote

What you did there, I see it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sounds like Arabs.
View Quote

Or Russians
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Decided to sell one of my personal cars to fund something else.
Put car up for sale in the local Kijiji and start getting emails right off the bat.
Screened a few and answered a few and got a request to view the car.
Set up a meet at the coffee shop down the road and the guy shows up on time.
Guy is all over the car, drove it and loved it and starts talking price. We haggle for 10 minutes and agree on a price.
Make arrangements to complete the transaction tonight and he shows up ready to pick up the car.

Except he pulls out $1000 LESS than what we agreed upon.
He has his buddy with him and they start jabbering in Lebanese and can see I'm getting pissed.
The guy starts spouting off about tires that he has to replace and a scratch he has to fix (something we went over last night) and that he wanted a better deal on the car.
I stated that all that he mentioned was negotiated last night and asked him what his problem was.
He had no answer and started his jibberish to his buddy.

Several times.

I had to call off another buyer because of this asshole, but the other guy was understanding and is now on his way over.

Weak rant but I'm pissed.
View Quote

Lol. Try selling a house to a Lebanese.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so

what a douche

LOL
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Or Russians
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like Arabs.

Or Russians

Or almost anyone from Europe or Asia or anywhere not in North America.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's the Bazaar mindset

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

This post may quite possibly be the most enlightening thing I have ever read on this forum... Ammo Oracle aside.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#44]

well that's the thing I told him id pay cash
then I told him tell the guy who you sold the bike to what you changed your mind and want it back, I told him ill pay you 50$ more. He wouldn't take it.

I had to walk through today's downpour, got soaked all the way through. I mean I wouldn't mind the walk if its on a sunny day but that was a lame move. I was maybe 10 minutes away from his house  
that honda was almost in my hands...almost
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ZW told me you were trying to eat the neighbor's dog when he was at your place. He's a racist, you know. I told him that there was no way  you'd do that, you'd just get one from the pound.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Some contractors have learned to add 20% right off the bat to certain groups of people, only because they know they will get haggled down to what they would have just charged originally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have had to go 30-40% with certain groups.

For the most part it scares them off, those who stick around it might make it worthwhile to deal with them.
But for the most part they just stiff you on final payment. Has happened a couple of times, we figure if we get that last payment, it is a bonus.

Currently dealing with a client who is getting angry that we haven't started their project, how we are holding up progress on their house.
There is the small matter of a lack of signed contract and a deposit that is kind of holding us back.

They are mad that we are bugging them for money to start and mad at us for not starting because we haven't gotten paid.
Umm, yeah….. People from sandy places.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Try dealing with them when they come to get their truck at the shop.
They sign the quote and are told the prices of every part and labor and when its time for them to pay the bill they try to haggle and get pissy when you won't budge.

Have had a few escorted off the grounds by the police and when they threaten to sue they shut up quick when you pull out the paper work that they have signed

It is fun the first few times but gets old quick
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Prospective buyer #2 will be here in 40 minutes.
He was explained the situation and understood what went on.
He states he is taking the car  and driving it home (300Km) tonight.

This could get interesting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In fairness though a lot of people seem to purposely ask for too much because they know people will try to negotiate them down.  

Also, I used to see a lot of used Glocks and ARs listed locally for more than they were selling for new at the local gun store.  Then people would act insulted if you offered them less.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Prospective buyer #2 will be here in 40 minutes.

He was explained the situation and understood what went on.

He states he is taking the car  and driving it home (300Km) tonight.

This could get interesting.
View Quote

i hope you're carrying, aye?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top