Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 4:10:42 AM EDT
... older paper money.
First, what do you feel comfortable keeping at home as far as cash for guns, etc?
Second is a stupid question, but I've got a lot of older $100 bills from before they put all the psycodelic colors and hallucinations on them, about 2006 I think.
Should I take them to the bank and exchange for the newer edition?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Cash:  I really only keep a couple of hundred bucks around at any given time, but have access to a few thou if something comes up

Older money:  Why?  Its still as good as the new money.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:12:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have $4k in my "emergency fun" fund, half of that is cash. I've never used any of it.

Your old money should be sine for a while yet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:13:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I WILL NOT ANSWER THE FIRST QUESTION JR.GMAN.

as for the second, cash is cash.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I try to keep at least $1,000 cash, and then a bunch of junk silver....I don't keep large bills though.  Mostly 20's and 10's, so they are easier to use.  I keep it mainly for if a hurricane or something like that was to come through, we would have cash, but have also used it when we needed cash to buy something, say at a yard sale or whatever.  Then it gets replenished.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The problem with older cash is - in a few years people may not recognize it, think it's fake, and not take it.

Is swap it out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:37:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem with older cash is - in a few years people may not recognize it, think it's fake, and not take it.

Is swap it out.
View Quote

This is what I was thinking.
Not too long ago, I had a clerk turn down some gold dollar coins because she thought they were not money.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I still have a few of these.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I always have somewhere where I stay....at least 1k to 2k just in case.

I keep 200 USD hidden somewhere in my car and truck for when I break down.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Financial planning is measured in time, not dollars.

6 mo of cash as an emergency fund, in your safe- see "banking holiday"

Exchange for newer- doesn't hurt

Diversify between denominations.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:14:11 AM EDT
[#10]

BRB. Gotta go bury it again.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#11]

I wish I had one of the 500s. Those were cool.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You can still get them from places like APMEX. But you will pay a bit of a premium depending on quality.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Just keep a few thousand in pennys and nickels. The weight alone makes it a pain in the ass to steal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just keep a few thousand in pennys and nickels. The weight alone makes it a pain in the ass to steal.
View Quote

When my wife and her brother had an apartment in college together, somebody broke in and stole the big water bottle full of change they had. On their way out of the house, they dropped it in the driveway and it shattered.

The thieves actually took the time to pick through the broken glass, in the front yard, in daylight to pick up all the change.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an emergency motorcycle fund. I hunt craigslist just about every day for a couple specific vintage bikes.

Just a word about those old hundreds, there was a story a while back about a guy having trouble passing them in a large quantity. It was innocent, nothing illegal, but that's not how folks looked at it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I keep 87!dollars on hand at all times. I feel only bills from 1987 are worth keeping.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is swap it out.
View Quote

I got shit for this at a bank, sometime around '97/'98 an old lady paid for a job with old as shit 20 dollar silver certificates, like around 8k dollars worth that she pulled out of her freezer wrapped in foil. The teller thought they were forgeries (and I'll admit those old bills, when in excellent shape look seriously shady compared to what you're used to seeing) it took awhile and several phone calls to sort out.

I ended up keeping the things anyway and selling some to a currency collector place for 34/per and the rest of that is still in my safe today. I'll have to look and see what they're worth today.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

When my wife and her brother had an apartment in college together, somebody broke in and stole the big water bottle full of change they had. On their way out of the house, they dropped it in the driveway and it shattered.

The thieves actually took the time to pick through the broken glass, in the front yard, in daylight to pick up all the change.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is amazing what drugs will make an otherwise rational human being do when they're addicted to it.  Dump a bag of Heroin on a pile of dog shit and they'll still scoop it off the dog shit and shove it into their veins as nonchalantly as sipping on a Pepsi.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Is swap it out.
View Quote
Yep.  A guy refused to take the older $20s and $100s from me on a purchase.  Thought they were fake.    I went to the bank and swapped the bills in my cash stash for fresh ones and the teller said she hears that same thing everyday.  People are stupid.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I got shit for this at a bank, sometime around '97/'98 an old lady paid for a job with old as shit 20 dollar silver certificates, like around 8k dollars worth that she pulled out of her freezer wrapped in foil. The teller thought they were forgeries (and I'll admit those old bills, when in excellent shape look seriously shady compared to what you're used to seeing) it took awhile and several phone calls to sort out.

I ended up keeping the things anyway and selling some to a currency collector place for 34/per and the rest of that is still in my safe today. I'll have to look and see what they're worth today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is swap it out.

HA HA I was a bank teller in '97/'98 and we would get rare bills all the time from clueless customers, and we LOVED that sort of thing.  My head teller got an error print five dollar bill and I got THREE 1937 one dollar silver certificates with consecutive serial numbers in just-came-from-the-printers condition.  People are idiots.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yep.  A guy refused to take the older $20s and $100s from me on a purchase.  Thought they were fake.    I went to the bank and swapped the bills in my cash stash for fresh ones and the teller said she hears that same thing everyday.  People are stupid.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is swap it out.

Yep.  Twenty years ago  I was a Toll Collector.  Clueless blonde comes up in an expensive car and doesn't have change for the fare but asks me if I would accept some gold colored coin she had.  Turned out to be a 1/4 ounce pure gold Mexican Libertad.  Worth maybe $125 back then.  Worth $300 now.  I still have it.

Found out much later that furious hubby of said clueless blonde showed up at the station looking for it.  Of course nobody knew anything about anything.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will never do that again... I had a few hundred stashed in the car and forgot about it. sold the car and gave away $100 in cash I forgot about... now I keep it behind the rubber in my otter box or behind the photos in my wallet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#23]
What is the gun fund you speak of?

<---father of two small boys.

Seriously though, when I used to keep cash I kept at least a grand. I could snag just about any smoking deal with about that much cash, including some NFA stuff like suppressors.

Ugh, I haven't bought anything in years...untill two weeks ago. Bought me a Ti 762 suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I will never do that again... I had a few hundred stashed in the car and forgot about it. sold the car and gave away $100 in cash I forgot about... now I keep it behind the rubber in my otter box or behind the photos in my wallet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...so you can't keep it someplace safer?  Like in a safe?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#25]
67O bucks for a beat to hell 5OO dollar bill.... who knew ?

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is swap it out.

Can you post a photo? I've never seen silver certificates other than the $1 bill.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I keep an extra 100 in my wallet and another extra 100 in the car. I try to keep 2k in emergency cash. It's more like a I found a deal and the bank is closed fund in reality.

I'd get new bills. Why chance it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife dropped a gallon jar of kimchi in a BOQ parking lot at Ft. Benning. For some reason no one took the time to pick thru the glass.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Can you post a photo? I've never seen silver certificates other than the $1 bill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is swap it out.

I'll dig them out then, they're goofy looking.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#30]
A pile of Krugerrands in a velvet pouch.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Meh. I keep some cash on hand. I've had my bank card closed on Fri evening of a holiday weekend. With no cash on hand it would have made for a shitty weekend.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Meh. I keep some cash on hand. I've had my bank card closed on Fri evening of a holiday weekend. With no cash on hand it would have made for a shitty weekend.
View Quote

You can always hit up the ATM for fun!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is swap it out.  
View Quote

All else fails take it to the bank.  The wife said that in the past few years people have brought $500 and $1000 bills into the bank.  Both notes of which have been out of circulation for many years, but the bank can check them to see if they're real and is obligated to take them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top