Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2015 12:08:54 PM EDT
Looking at my first bullpup - seemed to have narrowed it down to two of the most prominent/popular designs - the Tavor and the AUG.

Leaning towards the AUG I guess because I've always thought they were cool and frankly, I think it just looks totally badass (compared to the Tavor anyway).

What's really got me leaning towards the AUG is the fact that the price seems to have really come down. For some reason, I thought I remembered them being around the 2K mark (or even slightly above) and so it was always one of those guns I had on my "like to have one day, but will hold off because the price is a bit steep" list, but I realized they can now be had brand new for like $1,500, which seems reasonable.

Anyway, talk me out of it - Steyr AUG A3.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Well MSAR is getting out of the Aug business. It sounds like
they won't be supporting the rifle anymore.

So no CS, no fixing by the company that made it.

Stay away from the Aug?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't since I have one and love it more than any AR I have ever owned

Go to the Bullpup forum in the Armory.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stay away from the Aug?
View Quote

Can't you just buy a Steyr USA made AUG and not have to worry about that?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Between Tavor and Aug, it's mostly just personal preference IMHO.  They both have their pros and cons.  I owned both, sold the Aug, kept the Tavor...but they're both good weapons.  The availability of good trigger packs for the Tavor is a big factor, and I prefer the weight dist of the Tavor as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Stay away from the Aug?
View Quote

Steyr is behind the rifle the OP is talking about.  I just bought one for myself.  Steyr A3 NATO stock.  Put a GearHeadWorks charging handle and Aimpoint PRO on it.  Blast to shoot.

CDNN had a great price on it.  I know everyone raves about AUG mags, I just could not justify it with all the existing AR mags I had.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
You can get a Geissele trigger for the Tavor
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
No reason to talk you out of it.  I have had both a tavor and two AUGs.  Still have the A1 and the A3 and both are a joy to shoot.  I liked the tavor but couldn't grow to like it more than my AUGs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Aug A3 gets my vote. I'd post a pic, but I am at work. Tavor is good, though, but the AUG is tits!

First post is WAY off the mark...
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Ergonomics and decades of proven quality are on the side of the AUG.  I prefer the cheek weld and grip of the AUG.  More sop-mod like cheek angle and better for my hand.  The AUG is much easier to clean.  Without a suppressor it is hands down the cleanest shooting and easiest to clean rifle I have ever tried.  Even suppressed it's not too bad.

Downside to the AUG is obviously the trigger.  I have tried almost all the tricks.  Neutrigger, trigger tamer, tsm2020, different lubes.  The Ratworx sear combined with a liquid pine derby lube has been best for me.  Still pretty heavy but short, crisp and reliable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like I'm going to be a little poorer again soon - the AUG is sounding more and more like the winner.

Another question - I've seen pics of AUGs with what looks to be extended handguards/rails that make them look very CQBR despite the barrel length still being 16" - who makes them and where do you find them? Easy to install?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
bullpup = lame

but the aug is the best one of them I've shot
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking at my first bullpup - seemed to have narrowed it down to two of the most prominent/popular designs - the Tavor and the AUG.

Leaning towards the AUG I guess because I've always thought they were cool and frankly, I think it just looks totally badass (compared to the Tavor anyway).

What's really got me leaning towards the AUG is the fact that the price seems to have really come down. For some reason, I thought I remembered them being around the 2K mark (or even slightly above) and so it was always one of those guns I had on my "like to have one day, but will hold off because the price is a bit steep" list, but I realized they can now be had brand new for like $1,500, which seems reasonable.

Anyway, talk me out of it - Steyr AUG A3.  
View Quote

Why are you even asking here? Buy it. Now!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like I'm going to be a little poorer again soon - the AUG is sounding more and more like the winner.

Another question - I've seen pics of AUGs with what looks to be extended handguards/rails that make them look very CQBR despite the barrel length still being 16" - who makes them and where do you find them? Easy to install?
View Quote

You are referring to the AUG CQC.  You can buy the CQC rifle or get the kit here for the A3: http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/CQCKit.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Aug all the way.  Try to change the bolt or barrel on a 'Gayvor'.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Get both.

The augs are real nice but one thing that bothered me is that they always seem to have a charge handle sticking problem.  Even at the NRA show, the four or five units they had on display, only one had somewhat of an acceptable charge handle resistance... the others were stiff and stuck a lot.

I'd go with the tavor IMO.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've owned several AUG's. Love them.

The tavor I have also owned and it was ok.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
One thing I like about the Tavor is that you can still shoot weak side with it if needed and use AR15 mags without optional mods.  I am seriously thinking getting a Tavor sometime down the road...
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a bullpup.  That should be reason enough not to buy
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#19]
If you read the bullpup forum over time you see it is equally divided between people who like the Tavor and the AUG. You would also know that there will soon be some interesting new options for a bullpup like the IWI X95 and Desert Tech MDR.

I am waiting for my OD green Tavor to come in right now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one and love it!!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#21]
AUG's are the shit. Get an AUG.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#22]
The Governor says: "get the AUG"
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One thing I like about the Tavor is that you can still shoot weak side with it if needed and use AR15 mags without optional mods.  I am seriously thinking getting a Tavor sometime down the road...
View Quote

For a mere $30,(and some strategically placed industrial grade hook and loop velcro) you can with the AUG too.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I chose the Hebrew Hammer.   Looks more Star Wars than Star Trek.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I plan on saving up for an A3 once I have my SBR built
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I was thinks about buying a Tavor. The are made in PA, and my local shop has one in stock.  I would have to convert to LH.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#27]
do want.  Also want an sbr P90
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Stay away from the Aug?
View Quote

First post doesn't nail it.  MSAR does not equal AUG.

OP, I will through another vote in for the AUG.  I have an M1 model with 3x scope which is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I forgot to throw my vote in for the AUG,I liked it so much I bought another one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#30]
You'll like it....

It's been around for a while...

Happy camper with mines...and mags are around and cheap still.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Waiting on my OD green Aug A3 to come in tomorrow......

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#32]
because it's beatiful, that's why. beatiful clean sleek design.  Tavor 2x8 chunk of black plastic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#33]
If I HAD to choose between a Tavor and an AUG, I'd go AUG every time.

The AUG feels lighter and seems to be better balanced.

That's only IF I HAD to go with a bullpup.   I'd just shoot an AR given my druthers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Also keep in mind, the tavor you can buy the trigger pack from Giessele...it's simply amazing with it and the bow trigger.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I have both and prefer the AUG.  A week or so ago there were some OD green A3 Augs on gunbroker for $1399.00...I almost fent
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Would you stop complaining and just buy what you want to buy already? Geez.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#37]
The Tavor sold more rifles in a year than the AUG did in 30 years. A direct result of this is aftermarket support for the Tavor is booming, and the AUG is nowhere close.

Also, if you ever intend on getting a 9mm conversion for cheap training, the Tavor is the clear winner, as the AUG's 9mm conversion kits have been banned from import.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I was issued an Aug when I did some training in Australia.  I borrowed a Tavor at a range and had some fun with it.  I did not like either.  Maybe I am not a bulpup guy.  My favorite rifle is a sig 556.  If I had to go to battle with one I would chose the Tavor.  It fit better for me, but I think it was heavy up front.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
My vote: Aug  (preferably buy both in arfcom style!)
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I love my aug a3, I converted it to 9mm with one of the 9mm kits pjsAug sells. Most fun gun I have. I really want an a3m1 with the built in scope now....... I must resist.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Also keep in mind, the tavor you can buy the trigger pack from Giessele...it's simply amazing with it and the bow trigger.
View Quote

I managed a days worth of trigger time with my friend's Tavor (it had the Super Sabra)-the trigger is very good and the rifle shot very well with a Leupold 3-9 on it(holding a steady 2 MOA @ 100 yards/10 shot groups/prone). That being said,my factory AUG triggers (both A3 models) are not horrible,I do have a Neutrigger in one,my groups were averaging 2-3" @100 yards/10 shot groups with the "shitty AUG trigger" and an Aimpoint M4 2 MOA /prone. Sooner or later somebody is going to address the AUG trigger.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Tavor because Geissele.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I have both and prefer the AUG.  A week or so ago there were some OD green A3 Augs on gunbroker for $1399.00...I almost fent
View Quote

Do they make any in FDE/tan? Or is it only black and OD green?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tavor because Geissele.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I plan on saving up for an A3 once I have my SBR built
View Quote

I should probably finish mine as well - though really the only thing it's lacking is a suppressor.

In any case, I definitely want an A3 bad.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Steyr is behind the rifle the OP is talking about.  I just bought one for myself.  Steyr A3 NATO stock.  Put a GearHeadWorks charging handle and Aimpoint PRO on it.  Blast to shoot.

CDNN had a great price on it.  I know everyone raves about AUG mags, I just could not justify it with all the existing AR mags I had.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/phatmax/20150428_122041_zpshx3p4yty.jpg  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay away from the Aug?  

I'm still lusting over a Nato version AUG myself, so I'm playing the waiting game and watching the prices inch downward.  My luck it will be just like 2012 and just before I was ready to buy, some idiot will pull another Sandy Hook, prompting another round of skyrocketing prices.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm still lusting over a Nato version AUG myself, so I'm playing the waiting game and watching the prices inch downward.  My luck it will be just like 2012 and just before I was ready to buy, some idiot will pull another Sandy Hook, prompting another round of skyrocketing prices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay away from the Aug?  

CDNN still has them for 1599
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Im kind of excited about the new Desert Tech MDR bull pup
View Quote

I will be after it's been out for a couple years and people have worked the bugs out of them. Desert Tech makes good stuff, but I don't want to guinea pig their bullpup when there are proven options available.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I have the A3 NATO.  I haven't touched my AR's since.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top