Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2015 10:52:54 AM EDT
A federal court Monday upheld Highland Park's ban on assault weapons -- possibly setting the stage for a showdown over the issue before the U.S. Supreme Court.
View Quote

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150428/illinois-appeals-court-upholds-highland-park-semi-auto-ban
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
FBHO
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Upheld because... Feelings

If it has no other effect, Highland Park’s ordinance may increase the public’s sense of safety... If a ban on semi- automatic guns and large-capacity magazines reduces the perceived risk from a mass shooting, and makes the public feel safer as a result, that’s a substantial benefit.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#4]

I can understand the ban.

Those things are scary!

Only highly trained military, law enforcement and mall security should be allowed to have them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If it has no other effect, Highland Park’s ordinance may increase the public’s sense of safety... If a ban on semi- automatic guns and large-capacity magazines reduces the perceived risk from a mass shooting, and makes the public feel safer as a result, that’s a substantial benefit.

I never thought I'd see feels used as a legal premise.

These days, I expect it to be argument #1.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#6]
If only there was a recent example we could use to show their usefulness in self defense.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Well good luck Illinois folk.  Savages ain't going to let up now for sure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Shit-cago wins again. That little blurb below affirms my belief liberals have a very loose grab on the Constitution and reality.    
He is thumbing his nose at the Constitution.

“I’m delighted that the court affirmed that local governments have the ability to determine the best and most effective way to protect its citizens, within the structure of the Constitution,” he said."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#9]
dem feels yo
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#10]
OP what is the mood on DU?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FBHO
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I doubt if the Supreme Court would take the case.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Now why does recent so called victories in the Supreme Court knock this out?  Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We should limit freedom of assembly. Freedom of assembly to protest seems to lead to rioting. Rioting doesn't make me feel safe. My feelings trump the 1st amendment!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#15]
LOL. I guess we can add feelings of safety as a government interest to the intermediate scrutiny standards regarding free speech and sexual orientation.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#16]
But the new ruling by the federal appeals court cited those Supreme Court decisions while also maintaining long-standing prohibitions on “dangerous and unusual weapons.”
View Quote

which isn't defined, as Nolo has brought up in his case.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I doubt if the Supreme Court would take the case.
View Quote

They have consistently rejected every 2A case since McDonald.   They won't take this one.  

P.S. You have a Pit Thread to attend.  Don't run out the clock.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_130/1652542_AlexanderA__get_your_marxist_self_in_here_.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#18]
And here we go...right to the SCOTUS
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get robbed, it doesn't matter whether the robber had a real weapon or a fake weapon.  As long as you "felt" threatened by a weapon, it counts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#21]

FBHO
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
But the new ruling by the federal appeals court cited those Supreme Court decisions while also maintaining long-standing prohibitions on “dangerous and unusual weapons.”

The shitty part of this is that the Judge in Nolo's case can use this as persuasive authority and assert if the semi-auto version of the M-16 is deemed to be "dangerous and unusual" then certainly the full-auto version would fall within that category.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#24]
After the passage of the CCW law, the local municipalities had 10 days to enact any restrictions on AWB.  

If HP succeeded in doing so in the allotted time, then this was a waste of litigation.  

I don't care as long as handgun pre-emption is still on the table.

and fuck highland park.  that suburb sucks anyway.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Unconstitutional and ineffective.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That sounds like a reasons to ban anything.  Bald eagles may kill small dogs, so Highland Park will kill any bald eagle that flies within city limits.  Trucks with loud horns may scare old people, so Highland Park will ban trucks within city limits.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

What you did there...
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#28]
How an issue may make someone "feel" is now a legal precedent?

WTF?

At least come up with some sort of legal language bullshit
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#29]
"Banning ethnic teens from walking the streets after dark would make me fell safer" should that fly in court as well? both are protected rights? but should they be restricted for a 'sense of safety'? or is the example a fallacy of poor comparison?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"Banning ethnic teens from walking the streets after dark would make me fell safer" should that fly in court as well? both are protected rights? but should they be restricted for a 'sense of safety'? or is the example a fallacy of poor comparison?
View Quote

Statistically speaking you are at a much higher risk of this group vs guns in a town.

I'd also feel safer if that group was excluded...but I guess some rights trumps others rights.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Unconstitutional and ineffective.
View Quote

Neither of those things has stopped a lefty from passing a law yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#33]
yay highland park
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, I did hear the dissent is very good and makes a lot of arguments why the decision shouldn't stand on appeal.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Fuck Highland Park.  I know where to go when SHTF now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well, I did hear the dissent is very good and makes a lot of arguments why the decision shouldn't stand on appeal.
View Quote

Too bad the dissent goes right into the garbage...never to be seen ever again.

And SCOTUS has abandoned gun cases completely. As long as a state doesn't outright ban ALL guns...any restrictions are A-OK with SCOTUS and all of the circuits.

Such bullshit.

Can't wait to read the amount of bullshit that comes from the 2nd circuit when they uphold the SAFE act in NY...we will be lucky to own single shot guns after the 2nd circuit gets done penning their "decision."
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't appreciate the dissent containing statements such as-
In the case of machine guns, nobody has argued, before or since, that ordinary citizens used these weapons for lawful purposes, and so they have been rightly deemed not to fall within the ambit of the Second Amendment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Liberals make me sad.  They should be banned.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Move to a free state?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the case of machine guns, nobody has argued, before or since, that ordinary citizens used these weapons for lawful purposes, and so they have been rightly deemed not to fall within the ambit of the Second Amendment.

at least this could be cited as evidence that the judges had no fucking idea what they were issuing opinions on.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
FBHO
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's exactly the same as airport security, it makes people feel safer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The shitty part of this is that the Judge in Nolo's case can use this as persuasive authority and assert if the semi-auto version of the M-16 is deemed to be "dangerous and unusual" then certainly the full-auto version would fall within that category.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, this
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad you support gun bans
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If it has no other effect, Highland Park’s ordinance may increase the public’s sense of______________________________________ _______________________________________________________                                                                                                           and makes the public feel safer as a result, that’s a substantial benefit.
Fill in the blank law

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#46]
FPNI.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Here is the Opinion by the 3-judge panel:
http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2015/D04-27/C:14-3091:J:Easterbrook:aut:T:fnOp:N:1541776:S:0

Pretty clearly the majority judges have both a limited understanding of firearms and are predisposed to support gun control.  They find that the Second Amendment doesn't protect firearms not in common use at the time the country was founded for example  Apparently they handed that opinion down in quill and ink on tanned goat hide.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#48]
SCOTUS will take this, and they will overturn it.  It is essentially a lower court flat-out saying they don't have to abide by the SCOTUS decisions.  The Supreme Court will put the smack-down on this, and will leave a mark with it as well.

In the end, this will affirm gun rights more firmly than had the federal court upheld overturned.

Three Reagan appointees.  No way was that the intent.

Edited:  Woops.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that you can own full auto in Illinois anyway....
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
After the passage of the CCW law, the local municipalities had 10 days to enact any restrictions on AWB.  

If HP succeeded in doing so in the allotted time, then this was a waste of litigation.  

I don't care as long as handgun pre-emption is still on the table.

and fuck highland park.  that suburb sucks anyway.
View Quote

Double-fuck Highland Park.

Meanwhile, every surrounding suburb chose 2nd Amendment freedom.

Even the liberal oasis of Evanston, where I live, chose NOT to ban them... even though it was proposed and had wide support... even though the Mayor was a member of MAIG... even though Moms Demand Anal showed up at the City Hall hearing, shouting propaganda and passionate nonsense.

The view of the City Council was that they would not (to use their exact words) ban a gun simply on the basis of its appearance.

Our Chief of Police was the wise man who the Council listened to before making this decision.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top